+ Reply to Thread

Help with iGuidance Software

Ok, here's the deal: I recently purchased a BT-77 Bluetooth receiver off of EBay and installed Mapopolis with the free demo maps. I used this combination almost flawlessly for about a week until my iGuidance software arrived.

I installed the iGuidance software without an issue and loaded several state maps on my SD card. The problem is that when I run the software on my phone, periodically it will loose connection with my GPS reciever. For example, after about a minute of use, it will exit full screen and show my position marker as red (indicating that it doesn't have a GPS signal). When I check the GPS receiver, it shows that it is receiving a GPS signal (indicated by a flashing red, rather than a solid, red light) but the Bluetooth indicator light is totally off (rather than slowly flashing). I have to exit and restart the program and turn the receiver off and then on again to correct it. Sometimes, when I exit the program my phone will be frozen so I have to reset it.

The most unusual thing is that it is very intermittent. I took a drive from Philadelphia to NYC the other day and it worked the whole way up and back and only lost connection once on the way up. Other times, it will only be up for about a minute before it looses the connection.

I have tried resetting and I even did a hard-reset this morning but nothing seems to work. When I hard resetted, I only installed the iGuidance program and nothing else to see if it was maybe a software conflict, but even with just that program loaded, it still did the same thing.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or how to fix it? I don't think it is my receiver because, like I said above, I used it flawlessly with Mapopolis for a whole week. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin

Where did you load Mapopolis to...device or SD card? When you uninstalled Mappopolis was it a complete uninstall or did it leave any residue in the registry that could cause conflict?
    I been using iguidance for 6 months now and not one disconnect hickup, so the program is sound.
    Verizon xv6600

Quote Originally Posted by Z1truth
    Where did you load Mapopolis to...device or SD card? When you uninstalled Mappopolis was it a complete uninstall or did it leave any residue in the registry that could cause conflict?
    I been using iguidance for 6 months now and not one disconnect hickup, so the program is sound.
    I unistalled it by using the "remove programs" icon in the control panel of my PPC. But even if it did leave some residue in the registry, wouldn't that have been wiped out when I did the hard reset??

Anyone??????

Arrow my advice...

I had a similar problem when I first got the iGuidance software, it would randomly connect to my GPS, or it would connect, but never read the GPS info. Turns out, it was my COM port settings. Check the Bluetooth com port settings for the incoming/outgoing serial ports, and then set the iGuidance to use that port. For me, it was port 6, or you can play around with, and try all 12 in the program . Been working great ever since.

The one problem I’ve had on this piece of software is the lack of a multi-stop feature. I've been using the Pharos Ostia software since day one of my 6600, and loved it. I got the iGuidance from a friend who got a built in GPS on his car, so didn’t care for it on his PDA anymore. I've been using it because I like the 3D view. I know Pharos now has a version that will do that, but if this iGuidance can do multi-stops as well, then I won’t shell out 110 bucks for a new version of the pharos. Anybody know if it can do this?
    WoW! Look at all the buttons!

Quote Originally Posted by viperv303
    I had a similar problem when I first got the iGuidance software, it would randomly connect to my GPS, or it would connect, but never read the GPS info. Turns out, it was my COM port settings. Check the Bluetooth com port settings for the incoming/outgoing serial ports, and then set the iGuidance to use that port. For me, it was port 6, or you can play around with, and try all 12 in the program . Been working great ever since.
    I have it currently set to Com Port 6 but shouldn't it only operate on one Com Port?? So if I have it set to 6 and it works (except for the random disconnect), it shouldn't work at all on anty other ports, right??

It may be a problem with the receiver - google it and you'll see others with the same problem. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Mine went to com 3 by default, and it would say it connected, but would never start tracking, when i started trying every com port, 6 hit it dead on, so i guess my phone doing that was a random fluke that it seems to like doing sometimes...

but yeah, if its already on 6, and none of the other ports do anything better, then its the device. ebay is great and all, but be prepared to fix what ever you buy there. sofar, i've yet to buy anything from ebay that didnt require some fixing before it worked when i got it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheureka
    It may be a problem with the receiver - google it and you'll see others with the same problem. - sheureka
    Do you have a link?? I've done a lot of googleing and haven't found anything. Thanks.

yep, sorry, but yesterday i didnt have it on hand, thats why i didnt include the link. the store that i found was

http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/bluetgpsrec.html

they have software, gps units, and more. i got the one unit (http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/soblgpsspofa.html) thats solar powered. its ok... i wont say the best, but the battery life is a lot longer than the 6 (wait... more like 4 now that i think of it) hours i got with the i360 unit from pharos, this new one is more like 20-24, i'd have to charge it maybe once a week unless i go on a long trip. but when its got a full charge, i can drive from MD to FL with out having to plug it in once. but there are plenty of other options if thats not what you want, but yeah, thats the one link i have...

Just to let everyone know, I have solved my problem. I figure that it was an issue with the particular receiver I was using. I had been using the BT-77 that I ordered from Ebay. After trying everything, I decided just to order the iTrek receiver and give that a shot. Since switching, I have experienced 0 problems (keeping fingers crossed). The iTrek is much more senitive too. I can keep it in my pocket or under my dashboard and it never looses the signal. With the BT-77, I would loose the signal if I went under an underpass or if I went under a tollbooth plaza. Bottom line, go with the iTrek. I ordered from the Yahoo Store in the above-post and got a free dashboard mount. With the value of that added, I ended up paying about the same that I paid for the cheap one from ebay that didn't work.