+ Reply to Thread

Hard Resets with WeatherPanel version 2.5.1

For those of you that have followed the sagas of this software, there is now a thread on their forum about hard resets/hangs with a number of machines:

http://forums.marsware.net/viewtopic.php?p=9072#9072

Anyway, it was intermittant with my machine, but I have carefully reproduced it by adding 2.5.1 to my stable mix of programs. So I am back to 2.4.22. I think there are members of this forum that have the newer version working, so I suspect it is an interaction with my other software.

As far as I can see the new version's only major fix was the phases of the moon, which I can live without.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I haven't had any problems at all with 2.5.1 - and it seems much, much faster than the 2.4 software. So it's clearly a YMMV - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I did not notice any speed benefit. Maybe it is just interacting with something not obvious. This is what I have on my machine:

PocketMechanic
    DeLorme Street Atlas
    XCPUScalar
    IGuidance Europe
    Paragon Dictionaries
    PhoneAlarm
    Resco Picture Viewer
    Sprite

Not a long list and these seem pretty stable together.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    jerryyyyy,

I had the hard resets as well; it would occur during a soft reset ... device would freeze during boot-up. I am not 100% sure it's Weather Panel, but it has happened 4 or 5 times and always with 2.5.1 loaded.

However, I have gone back to 2.5.0 and haven't had a lock-up issue yet. It has the moon phase fix, plus, as another has mentioned, the speed improvement over the last offical release.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jerryyyyy
    For those of you that have followed the sagas of this software, there is now a thread on their forum about hard resets/hangs with a number of machines:

http://forums.marsware.net/viewtopic.php?p=9072#9072

Anyway, it was intermittant with my machine, but I have carefully reproduced it by adding 2.5.1 to my stable mix of programs. So I am back to 2.4.22. I think there are members of this forum that have the newer version working, so I suspect it is an interaction with my other software.

As far as I can see the new version's only major fix was the phases of the moon, which I can live without.
    Last edited by Kreigz; 02-06-2006 at 06:32 AM.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Thanks. This is exactly what happens to me. I load 2.5.1 and it seems to run right but it hangs on a soft reboot. I will try 2.5.0 tonight after work.

I do not think it is one of my other programs (listed above). I also had suspicions about Egress and have dropped that off my 6600. This podreader seemed to die during ActiveSync connections and file transfers, then I would get the chance to soft reboot and then the system would die. Maybe it was 2.5.1 on at the same time. Thanks.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

For the record, 2.5.0 has worked perfectly now for 24h.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

v. 2.5.0

Could someone please e-mail v. 2.5.0 to me or let me know where I can get it? I purchased 2.5.1 and had the hard reset problem and I'd like to try 2.5.0. My e-mail address is jsparks349@chartertn.net. Thanks!

It's on the way.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

The continuing saga of WeatherPanel is like a runaway locomotive. There is nobody at the controls, but this software continues on. As far as I can tell the developer, Martian, is still AWOL.

I have changed over to PocketWeather as I could not deal with the suspense of Martian's fate. PW now supports animated gifs and is rock solid. Its only weak point is that there is not as much that you can customize, but it has many more features.

Cheers to those that still use WP and too bad there is no longer competition between the two.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I agree with you, jerryyyyy ...

If serious weather watching is the main concern, Pocket Weather is the way to go! The METAR feature is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by jerryyyyy
    The continuing saga of WeatherPanel is like a runaway locomotive. There is nobody at the controls, but this software continues on. As far as I can tell the developer, Martian, is still AWOL.

I have changed over to PocketWeather as I could not deal with the suspense of Martian's fate. PW now supports animated gifs and is rock solid. Its only weak point is that there is not as much that you can customize, but it has many more features.

Cheers to those that still use WP and too bad there is no longer competition between the two.

Pocket Weather looks very similiar to SPB's Weather program... but I'll download it and try it out.

As asked above where do you get the 2.5.0 version of WeatherPanel?

I tried to upload 2.5.0 but I guess it was too big. If you have no luck finding it, send me a PM and I will mail you a copy. It is 2.1 MB. I think somebody out on their site had worked out a download too.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

does anyone know if there are any istructions on how to customize weather panel. I already own pocket weather but it as far as I have seen does not let me create a weather screan like what is on the touch diamond/pro.. maybe I just have not looked at it in a while. But I have weather panel pretty close to what I want but I did not create the setup so I do not know how to modify it to make it exactly what I want.
    thanks

Hi cherylbaker, you're best bet would be to PM one of those members discussing the program. Looks like they don't look at this forum anymore. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cherylbaker View Post
    does anyone know if there are any istructions on how to customize weather panel. I already own pocket weather but it as far as I have seen does not let me create a weather screan like what is on the touch diamond/pro.. maybe I just have not looked at it in a while. But I have weather panel pretty close to what I want but I did not create the setup so I do not know how to modify it to make it exactly what I want.
    thanks
    I'm not sure what you're trying to do. There is lots of information (and the latest version) here - WeatherPanel Freaks: WeatherPanel Program Download Updated 10/13/08 - PPCGeeks. And here - WeatherPanel Themes - PPCGeeks - are a whole bunch of themes and icons you can use. Hope this helps! - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.