+ Reply to Thread

Inbox won't sync after AS connection

I thought this was an Activesync issue, but it appears not. This is not the same as the similar issue that I posted a while back where it wouldn't "resolve" an issue. But I'll try that solution since I just found that registry hack- now that this site is back up- if the hard reset/restore I'm in the process of doesn't work.

I posted this in a Google forum:
    Everything has been working well for a while, but sometime in the last
    3 days, my Inbox stopped syncing. I noticed that it wasn't in the list
    yesterday.
    What I've tried:
    Uninstalling and reinstalling AS.
    Running ScanPST on my Outlook inbox file.
    Trying (unsuccessfully) to downgrade to AS3.8.
    Run a few registry fixes.
    Run Detect & repair in Outlook.
    Run:Regsvr32.exe %Windir%\System32\Ole32.dll
    Hard reset and restored PPC. Hard reset and restored using a slightly
    older restore file. [There was an unintentional hard reset two days
    ago, but it appears that the last email that got synced to the PPC was
    the day before that.]

When the PPC is not connected, I can select the Inbox for syncing.
    At one point, when I clicked OK after selecting and it showed the list
    (prior to connection) it said "Disabled" in the status column. That
    isn't happening now.
    Then, once I connect, it disappears from the list.

Deleted all partnerships.
    Selected everything but Access to be synced.
    "Looking for changes..." (seems to be taking a very long time)
    Replaced items on device with items on the PC.
    Synced everything except Inbox.

It is interesting that everything syncs quickly except Files.. I
    sometimes have to disconnect the PPC, then reconnect to get it to
    start. Then it will stall- so I disconnect/reconnect. Then it will
    stall- so I disconnect/reconnect. [not a typo; ]

An interesting discovery.
    I just synced my wife's iPaq on the same computer and it all worked
    fine. Including the Inbox.
    So I tried syncing just the items that I did with hers.
    Same results as previous; Looking for changes... and Inbox disappears from the list.

I'll try another hard reset and this time, I'm going to restore from
    the PC instead of the SD card.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Hard reset and restore gets me the same results.
    Trying the registry hack.

update:
    Registry hack doesn't make a difference.
    Trying different restore files...

The big [internal] debate is whether it's worth it to hard reset and rebuild from scratch just to (possibly) get the ability to sync my Outlook email to PPC. A tough call, as most of the email I use on the PPC gets downloaded directly an very little of the Outlook accounts are valuable on the PPC.
    Last edited by Trident; 02-12-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Am I unique?
    Even if you don't have experience, does anyone have any educated guesses?
    Peace ~ Trident

Yes, you know for some reason I had exactly the same problem about a week ago (using 4.1). I was fooling around trying to get some software to work (Egress) and suddenly this exact problem occured. It turned out to be in the partnership that was on the PC. I basically deleted all the partnerships and started from scratch and it found the inbox. I have never seen this before and have not seen it since. Are you sure all your partnerships are gone? Take PDA out of cradle and look under File/Mobile Device heading.

Oh, one other thing I may have done is to delete the parnerships in the Registries on both the PDA and the PC. I am pretty sure I did this when I could not get the inbox to reappear.

Activesync, BTW, is really not capable of transferring some of the large files I have been getting from podcasts. It crashes after doing about 10MB. I think it was after one of these crashes that I got the above problem. This is a known problem with the software of any version number, sometimes possible related to firewall settings, but I have yet to figure that one out.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by jerryyyyy
    ... Take PDA out of cradle and look under File/Mobile Device heading. Can you be more specific about how this is accomplished? Which file menu are you referring to?

Oh, one other thing I may have done is to delete the parnerships in the Registries on both the PDA and the PC. I am pretty sure I did this when I could not get the inbox to reappear. Again, I'm not a big fan of messing with the registry, but I am capable. Can you be more explicit?

Activesync, BTW, is really not capable of transferring some of the large files I have been getting from podcasts. It crashes after doing about 10MB. I think it was after one of these crashes that I got the above problem. This is a known problem with the software of any version number, sometimes possible related to firewall settings, but I have yet to figure that one out.I wonder if the 40-50MB transfer when I did the restore from the PC could have been related to this?
    I wonder if it makes a difference if I use a restore file from the SD card or the PC?
    Peace ~ Trident

Back in a bit. The File menu is on Activesync BOx that shows up when synched.

I will have to look up where the registry is on the PDA for this, but it is under "Parnerships" somewhere. You might search on this. I deleted the registry settings for all partnerships in addition to deleting them on the file menu... menu did not do the trick.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

OK,

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CE Services Parners you will see a few things like P1 P2

What I did was delete all partners from the desktop then delete these partnerships from the device.

ALL REGISTRY EDITS ARE DANGEROUS ETC ETC -> DISCLAIMER

So it is good to have a backup. But,realize that the reason it is a waste to do a reset if you reinstall from the backup is that it will reinstall the bad registry settings. The other alternative is a rebuild of your system from scratch.

I hate this software.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I deleted the partnerships from the file menu and then went to that registry location [you do mean the one in XP, right? Not the PPC's registry?] and found... nothing. There is a folder with the name Partners, but the value data:<empty>.
    I tried to delete the key, but it only cleared the already empty data.
    Put the darn PPC in the cradle and it just did the same thing.
    I just deleted partnerships again and I'm going to reboot the computer.
    Getting frustrating.
    Peace ~ Trident

I must say, this is beyond frustrating.
    I've deleted, rebooted, hard/soft reset, synced, removed, restored, edited and prayed.
    Unless someone has another idea or can think of something that I screwed up or might have missed, I think I'll wait until this weekend and hard reset and start reinstalling from scratch.

To quote jerryyyyy: I hate this software.
    At least this OS.
    I didn't really care much about getting WM5 working for our little boxes, but this kind of thing makes me reconsider. I might even reconsider switching to the 6700 if it makes junk like this easier. Maybe I'll check that out.

While I'm *****ing about it... Does anyone else wish that there was a way to add numbers from the call history to current contacts? Every other regular phone I've ever had allows this. We can create a new contact, but there's not even a way to just copy/paste those numbers (unless you create the new contact; copy; delete that contact; go to the current one and then paste).
    to MS

UPDATE:
    I deleted the registry entries again. Then I changed my device ID and deleted almost all of the Outlook emails that were on the PPC. Then I tried to sync. And I stress tried. For the first few tries, the wizard that usually appears to create a partnership wouldn't appear. Then it did, but wouldn't stay connected. Then it stayed connected, but wouldn't sync! Now it's syncing, but still no Inbox. I'm going to be really pissed if I hard reset and rebuild everything and this thing still won't sync because it's really an issue on the PC or with A/S.
    But not very surprised.
    Last edited by Trident; 02-14-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    Peace ~ Trident

Delete the registry keys ON THE 6600 PDA!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows CE Services/Parners

There is still hope.

If you do not have a registry editor, they can be found as freeware.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

OK.
    I just deleted P1 & P2.
    Under the Partners folder there are still a few keys.
    (Default) (value not set)
    NetworkGUID 88 29 18 A1...
    PCur Ox1 (1)

Do I delete these also? And do I delete the PDA keys and the PC registry keys?

Follow-up:
    I deleted from both. No joy. I deleted both + PCur. No joy. Deleted all previous and changed Device ID. No joy. A little nervous about deleting NetworkGUID, but what the heck. I've the backup won't work any worse than it does now!
    Last edited by Trident; 02-15-2006 at 08:04 AM.
    Peace ~ Trident

Well, I am at a loss. When you put the PDA in the cradle does it ask to establish a new connection, or does it try to link to an old one?

If it tries to link to an old one, then you have not gotten all the old keys. The only keys I deleted were one's labeled P1 and P2 on the PDA. I did not delete anything in the registry on the PC but deleted the Partnerships on the PC using the menu under File on Activesync on the PC. Thus, delete parnerships on PC via File menu and delete partnerships on PDA via registry.

Theoretically, if you delete the parnerships in both places, the system has to try to establish a new partnership and this should be clean once you do so.

I feel your pain.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

The first few times it had trouble connecting at all. I kept on having to physically remove the device from the cradle and then reconnect. Once, it even disconnected while it was "Looking for changes".

Each time, it does reconnect and it's now giving me the partnership wizard. But no matter what I change, it's still disables the inbox when the device is connected.

I've pretty much eliminated the possibility that it can by an A/S or PC issue since my wife's iPaq syncs flawlessly. I suppose it could be something in my email database, but I've run that through ScanPST a few times and all seems OK.

It only happens when I connect this particular PPC. Hmmmmm.
    I do feel an OS reinstall coming.
    Peace ~ Trident

You did check the registry settings on the PDA that I indicated and deleted the old partnerships?

If so, I say you are right to hard reboot and reinstall. You can check if this will fix the problem by first doing a backup and then doing the hard reboot. After the hard reboot, check and see if AS can create a good partnership. If so, you know where the problem was (on the PDA) and you might as well rebuild the system. If not, it is the PC and so you might as well replace your backup and at least you do not have to recreate the system on the PDA. Then you have to figure out what to do with AS on your PC...

I hate this software.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

This has been a very strange PPC day.
    This morning, after sycing my 6600 to my PC, I had a spontaneous hard reset.
    Then, after 2 or three more immediately after successful (and one not successful) restores using Sprite I finally got everything working. Or so I thought. I went to Daytona for my BikeWeek fix without an extra battery or any way to charge- of course, it looked like my battery was draining by the minute. By 6pm, with minimal usage, it was dead. Like, wouldn't reboot and I figured I'd be doing another hard reset after the backup battery died, dead. I was thinking about how I was going to have to get a 6700 and what the heck was I going to do with all these batteries/accessories?!
    [I'm getting to the point here... soon]
    So I got home and plugged it into the cradle and it takes about 30 seconds to show some sign of life and then the screen comes on and shows 18% charge! I've been down to 9% and it still runs! Really strange.
    So then I get it syncing and it starts asking me the questions about combining replacing.... blah blah.
    And while I'm looking at what it's replacing, I notice that my Inbox checkbox is available! So I check it and it does the "Looking for changes..." thing... and then it syncs! Sure enough, it's all working.

Darned if I know why.

Just thought I'd share.
    Peace ~ Trident