+ Reply to Thread
    XV6600 - Verizon

Bluetooth DUN in reverse

OK...situation is that I'm traveling overseas a lot and I would like to have internet functionality on my xv6600 in order to retreive email. OBVIOUS problem is that there is no CDMA internet functionality in the countries I'm going to....so what I would like to do is be able to DUN through a GSM phone that works in the local country. Now, as far as I can tell the list of options in the bluetooth wizard doesn't have "connect to internet via phone", which I've seen on regular PDA's that I have successfully connected via bluetooth dun. Is this function locked out on our phones? Is there a way to unlock it?
    Thanks,
    Ezra
    XV6600 - Verizon / SPB PocketPlus / SPB Weather / Resco / Agile Messenger / Vindigo / Voice Command / Clearvue PDF / Roboform / PockerRSS / BetaPlayer

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Don't know if this is too basic, but have you tried creating a BT internet connection using the LAP service on the phone? I don't have access to a BT-enabled phone (GSM or other) to test, but I regularly connect to my laptop with this service. I use VZW's WirelessSync for mail/contacts/etc. and I find that I can maintain a connection far longer with this setup than via BT ActiveSync.

I think the solution you want is here:
    http://kb.pcsintel.com/index.php?tit...m_%28Sprint%29

grr wish some one would of posted this before I asked about teathering with a samung 920. I went out and bought a 6700.

XV6600 - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by EnnuiEnthusiast
    Don't know if this is too basic, but have you tried creating a BT internet connection using the LAP service on the phone? I don't have access to a BT-enabled phone (GSM or other) to test, but I regularly connect to my laptop with this service. I use VZW's WirelessSync for mail/contacts/etc. and I find that I can maintain a connection far longer with this setup than via BT ActiveSync.
    Thanks for your reply... I don't know what LAP service is... can you be more specific on how to do this?

Thanks,
    Ezra
    XV6600 - Verizon / SPB PocketPlus / SPB Weather / Resco / Agile Messenger / Vindigo / Voice Command / Clearvue PDF / Roboform / PockerRSS / BetaPlayer

XV6600 - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by sbalips
    I think the solution you want is here:
    Thanks for the link... It DIDN'T work. I even did a hard reset and tried again...and still nothing... Have you gotten this to work?

Thanks,
    Ezra

Ive been able to do it with my friends A940 but not my 920. figures. but i can at least confirm it works

XV6600 - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by dem0n2001
    Ive been able to do it with my friends A940 but not my 920. figures. but i can at least confirm it works
    What method did you use? Any hacking necessary?

just the registry hack outlined above at the link given. once you change the value to 3 soft reset and go to the bluetooth manager and select connect to internet and a new menu pops up. click on drop down box select phone not on list and hit next. pair up with phone. and good to go. but like i said i could only get it to work with 940 not the 920. going to try my other friends 900 later.

XV6600 - Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by dem0n2001
    just the registry hack outlined above at the link given. once you change the value to 3 soft reset and go to the bluetooth manager and select connect to internet and a new menu pops up. click on drop down box select phone not on list and hit next. pair up with phone. and good to go. but like i said i could only get it to work with 940 not the 920. going to try my other friends 900 later.
    I don't get it...registry hack didn't work for me...the "connect to internet" never shows up!... Are you using the xv6600? what do you mean by 940...920...900?
    Ezra

XV6600 - Verizon
    Okay... Got it working (somewhat).
    1. I used the method posted here..(file swap).. http://asukal.seesaa.net/article/1031857.html
    2. Then I still didn't see the "connect to internet" but used the "explore a bluetooth device" instead.

I was able to browse the web and all... problem is that when I try and do an activesync is says..."Activesync was unable to sync because your wireless phone was off. Turn on your wireless phone and try again." This makes no sense because anyone should be able to sync with an alternative internet connection!???
    Any further advice on this last issue would be apppreciated.

Thanks,
    Ezra

Found the bug in the PCS Intel guide, posted the fix over there (wikis are great).

You have to chose Connect A Network... not connect to the internet. It will then give you the wizard.

So, if you've already done the edit, just hit Connect to A Network. Otherwise, follow the new instructions over there.

XV6600 - Verizon
    Question. Now that I have resolved this first issue.... should I post my new problem of trying to activesync over bluetooth dialup in a new thread?
    Ezra