+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Speed Dials on the Today Screen

Okay, I ran a few searches and didn't come up with anything so I guess I'll have to ask the question. I currently use SPB Pocket + for shortcuts to common apps, but would like to find a way (or an app) that would allow me to customize a speed dial number shortcut on the today screen. I have about 4 or 5 numbers I dial frequently and thought it woud be nice to be able to just tap the shortcuts and have it open the phone and dial the appropriate speed dial number. Anyone have any ideas?
    XV6600>XV6700>Treo 700W (I think I'll stay here a while).

Hi Tech Trader
    Microsoft VoiceCommand will let you dial any number from any screen.

Phone Alarm, among its various other features, has a nice approach. If you are at the today screen, and use the d-pad to scroll to where the phonealarm icons are on the today screen, then hit the center button, it will bring up a list of your call log (7 or so entries of all calls, including missed, answered, and OUTGOING, sorted by time). From their, you can scroll to the one you one, hit center again, and it will dial. Useful for one handed operation, especially with a BT headset.

Other than that, ContactBreeze will put all contacts in the today screen, with a handy expanding full screen interface for accessing the contact you want with a finger. Check out their website for a picture of what I'm talking about, and it'll make more sense.

Different solutions to the problem you are having, and I dont think it was quite the answer you were looking for. Seems like a handy feature someone would implement though, so you may want to also search at:

www.pocketgear.com
    www.pocketpcfreeware.com

Good Luck, let us know what you find!

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Here's another approach you could try:

You can create a shortcut to the phone app and pass it the number you want to dial as a parameter. To do this:

1) Open notepad or a similar browser on your PC
    2) Enter the following: #cprog.exe -n -url tel:+15555555555 where 5555555555 is the number you want to dial.
    3) Save the file somewhere on your PC as Call Joe.lnk Make sure you save it as a ".lnk" file (i.e. not ".lnk.txt" or something like that).
    4) Copy it to your PPC using ActiveSync. Put it in the Windows->Start Menu. (or you can make a new folder under Start Menu and put it there, using the Today settings to put it in the Start Menu. Whatever)

You should now be able to tap Start->Call Joe (remember step 3?) and it will launch a little pop-up window that will ask you if you want to call Joe or not. Tap "Yes" and you will place the call.

Advantages:
    You get to learn something cool about how your phone works.
    It doesn't cost a dime.
    If you really want to get into the .lnk business, you can set custom icons for each call you want to make.
    You can assign it to a hardware button if you want.

Disadvantages:
    It isn't actually on the Today screen, so it doesn't really do what you're asking.
    It takes some prep time - not as fast as creating a speed dial for instance.
    Multiple clicks involved (Start->Call Joe->Yes).

And on that note: I can't figure out how to place the call without tapping on "Yes". I've tried messing with the -n flag (removing it, using -y, using just - and a space...) I can't get it to work without user interaction. I know it CAN work (i.e. PhoneAlarm seems to use a similar mechanism to check for voice mails, and has a flag you can set to disable the prompt) but I'm stumped for the moment. Maybe someone else can play with it and find what I'm missing???

Check out WAD (Wisbar Advance Desktop). It requires that you have Wisbar Advance installed first (which I highly recommend).

It has a feature that allows you to have a page full of quick dials right on your today screen. Make sure you check out the forums. There are tons of skins and lots of information available.

http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/

Phill
    Just Another Geek. <-- That's the default, but it sure is true.

Check here

His PhoneTools will do this and email/SMS. And it's free

Cool, but your link doesn't seem to work...
    Just Another Geek. <-- That's the default, but it sure is true.

Talking

Thanks for all the assistance, folks. I do use MS Voice command, but ony enable it when driving, etc as it uses so much memory. I'll check out your suggestions.
    XV6600>XV6700>Treo 700W (I think I'll stay here a while).

*scratches head...

What's so hard w/ pressing the talk button then down on the D-pad to get to speed dial?... I seem to do that as I pick up the phone w/ out even thinking sometimes... It would take longer to make sure you are hitting the screen in the right place doing it via touch screen.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Quote Originally Posted by amirmckelvey
    *scratches head...

What's so hard w/ pressing the talk button then down on the D-pad to get to speed dial?... I seem to do that as I pick up the phone w/ out even thinking sometimes... It would take longer to make sure you are hitting the screen in the right place doing it via touch screen.
    haha i'm going to have to agree with you here.