+ Reply to Thread

Skype Version 2.0 on PPC660x

I've been unsuccessfully to get Skype V2.0 working on my PPC6600. Previous versions worked, and V2.0 installs but doesn't do anything - you tap to launch the program, it churns for a minute or two, and nothing else happens.

Skype has released 8-10 different versions depending on the PPC manufacturer... I've selected "Other" as the best fit... I'm hoping someone else has had better luck.

Thanks,
    Tim Martin

Go sell crazy somewhere else ... austinbrady's Avatar
    I have it working on my xv6600.
    I got it here: http://www.skype.com/products/skype/pocketpc/download.html
    I selected "high speed CPUs" version.
    Works great!
    You may have had a bad install.
    It also may not work well with a 1X connection.
    Good luck, hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    Peace and Prosperity
    Austin A. Brady

if you can read this you've selected text!!! :)

Hmmmm... that's exactly what I did, and it's not working for me. I wonder if it's conflicting with something - of course, Voice Command jumps to mind. I'll guess I'll have to play around with it some more.

Thanks,
    Tim Martin

yeah it didn't work for me either. Oh well. Just stick to the older version

XV6600 - Verizon
    Yes its voice command.... I uninstalled and it worked....OF COURSE!!!
    XV6600 - Verizon / SPB PocketPlus / SPB Weather / Resco / Agile Messenger / Vindigo / Voice Command / Clearvue PDF / Roboform / PockerRSS / BetaPlayer

yea voice command interfears with skype running. i usually have to disable vc, softreset, then start skype. i have to do the same thing with sjphone. its too bad i rely so heavily on vc for dialing my contacts. i wish there was a better option.
    Tanguy de Courson

So, the previous version os Skype worked with VC? If so, where can I get the previous version? I use my VC a lot.

the previous version of skype had the same issues
    Tanguy de Courson

I have a Socket wifi card. I have to soft reset to get the 6600 to recognize it. I installed Skype (high speed). I had to disable Voice Command to get the 6600 to recognize it. Skype dials out and is very broken. The person that receives my call tells me that I am breaking up. A conversation is not possible at this point. Does anyone have a suggestion that might help make my connections work? Thanks in advance, Sean

Voice Command definately has too large of a memory footprint to be run on this device and skype really needs that space to run. so uninstall voice command.
    I switched to Fonix Voice Central which seems to have more features than MS Voice Command with the only thing missing is it saying who is calling you (which i quite liked)
    But still with Fonix i was having the same problem that skype would not start after i had run Fonix once.
    But i recently removed wireless sync as i moved to better ways of syncing my data (pm me if you need help) and voila. i can run Fonix and skype anytime and my device runs quite fast. wireless sync was taking up a ton of resources too. once freed up, my skype calls sound quite good and i can run it any time i want.
    Tanguy de Courson