+ Reply to Thread

Help - Audible Player and BT

I use Audible a lot - usually for books on my iPod but also on the 6600 for articles and radio replays. Audible player must be used on the PPC to play the Audible files. Unfortunately, I can't use a BT headset with the Audible player so I've just stopped using Audible on my 6600 because I don't want to carry around two headsets. I sent an email to Audible and their response was they had no plans to either allow the files to play using WMP or change the Audible player so BT would be compatible. They suggested I send a suggestion to greatideas@audible.com.

I can't be the only one who'd like to see this happen. Maybe if they get more than one email they'll actually take a look at it. TIA - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

wow, glad you posted. You possibly saved me money, since I was considering buying a BT headset or car speaker, primarily because I use audibleplayer on my 6600. Guess I will stick to the wired headset.

Good news - I just got this from Audible -

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently investigating this. We are absolutely interested in making BT headset playback Audible content and hope to resolve this soon.

Thanks!
    - sheureka

It must be the bitrate of the audible files then? I don't believe A2DP cares what program is playing the audio, but it must be of sufficient bitrate to transfer out over the A2DP stream. I haven't used it in ages (waiting on the A2DP update for the 6700), but things like system sounds and TomTom voice prompts would never come through the BT headphones. I'd intended to figure out what quality level was the cut-off point, but got busy with my house and then the 6700 came out so I never got around to it.

i have a2dp on my HTC Wizard. it works with WMP perfectly, but when AudiblePlayer is used, i only get sound from one speaker. it's so frustrating...

I have it working with out Issue.

Audible Player 4.6.0.2
    AudibleAir - DIRECT DOWNLOADS TO PPC (Nice new addition)

Installed Bluetooth Patch to allow for High Quality Audio.

Once I go into Bluetooth Manager, select the Shortcut to establish connection and ALL of the sounds for my PPC go through the link to the Headset. The only problem I have is that Audible does not support the pause and Play functions. You still have to use the buttons on the screen. Also, if you power off the PDA by mistake, you have to re-establish the Stereo Bluetooth Link.

One item you might want to check, Audible allows you to Download different quality levels of the Books. Try and Download the highest Quality and give it a try.

UPDATE:
    I did a quick revew of the Headset See Post Here: Mini Bluetooth V1.2 headset Kit
    Last edited by sphinx88; 03-09-2006 at 09:05 AM.
    Verizon XV6600WOC
    ROM 2.07.00 WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.112WWE HW.V. 0041

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx88
    I have it working with out Issue.

Audible Player 4.6.0.2
    AudibleAir - DIRECT DOWNLOADS TO PPC (Nice new addition)
    Where did you find this for PPC? I can only find AudibleAir for Palm and Treo and Audible says the PPC client isn't available yet. Did you get the Palm client to work on your PPC? TIA - sheureka

Quote Originally Posted by sheureka
    Where did you find this for PPC? I can only find AudibleAir for Palm and Treo and Audible says the PPC client isn't available yet. Did you get the Palm client to work on your PPC? TIA - sheureka
    I was involved in the Beta Test and have been getting CAB files via Email. However I did some poking around the WWW site and think I found the link. If you go to Smart Phone and then follow the TREO AudibleAir Link, the page will allow you to Download both PPC and Palm Versions.

Try this link:

AudibleAir
    Verizon XV6600WOC

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx88
    However I did some poking around the WWW site and think I found the link. If you go to Smart Phone and then follow the TREO AudibleAir Link, the page will allow you to Download both PPC and Palm Versions.
    Okay, you get to be my new hero! I haven't tried the BT headset yet, but the direct download is working great! I don't usually put books on my phone, but I do keep my subscriptions on there and the automatic download is perfect! Now if I only had EVDO - sheureka

Not to add useless banter to this Thread - IT IS GREAT WITH EVDO!

Since Audible keeps your books indefinitely, I only download the book I am listening to...

I am glad you like it! Developers at Audible are great to work with, I would expect to see new features. They seemed intent on continued development.
    Verizon XV6600WOC

Hmm - still can't get my bt to work with audible player. They're aware of the problem and are working on it so I think I'll just wait it out. I'm very happy with my bt high-quality audio with wmp, so I'm not keen to try yet another headset.

The weird thing is I can stream audible files stored on my computer with orb and they play on wmp, but the quality is not good enough to use bt (though it's surprisingly good at 1x). I think if the audible files on my 6600 could also use wmp as a player the bt would work! - sheureka
    Last edited by sheureka; 03-09-2006 at 03:03 PM.