+ Reply to Thread

Upcoming Cruise - cell phone usage

I'm going on my first cruise in a few weeks, Carnival Cruise Line. Their brochure mentions having internet on the boat, WiFi, etc. Will our phones do WiFi? Will I be able to make calls using my Sprint 6600?

last time i went on a cruise the phones did not work at all

Your phone may work when you are close to land, but not once you get out to sea. However, depending on the configuration of their wireless you might be able to use skype or something instead, if you had vonage you might even be able to hack a regular phone somehow.
    Tom

I'm just wondering if I even need to bother carrying it or not.

It will work some places, totally up to you, I brought mine and just locked it in the safe in the room when I couldn't use it.
    Tom

some cell phones can work on cruise ship through their satellite system for a huge fee. otherwise it will depend on your carrier. on my cruise my tmobile ppc roamed off att/cingular in PR and st thomas. i had no service in tortola. i'm not sure how cdma service is.

I wouldnt use it on the ship. There are some that you can use it on via roaming but its an Ungodly charge per minute. The 6700 with WI-Fi would be kinda cool though.

i just got back from a cruise that was on Norwegian, and they have something set up so if you used t mobile you had service on the boat anytime. but I use sprint so that did me no good. I didnt even bother bringing it with me to see if I got service in the other countries, but Im pretty sure do you need a special code to type first to dial out (like a country code or something.) And if you place a call the rate is outragous to talk. like a couple $$$ a minute.

*edit*
    Quote Originally Posted by ycats
    Will our phones do WiFi?
    if you have a 6700 you could do wifi, but not with the 6600
    Last edited by Gargamel1337; 02-27-2006 at 11:21 PM.