+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Motorola HT820 Stereo Headset

Ok, I'll do my best to keep this short, but there are a few things I feel obliged to mention off the start here... first I know there is a lot of talk in other threads about headsets, I have searched and not only did I not see an answer to my question I didn't see a logical spot to add this question. My apologies to those who do follow the forum very closely and can easily think of 6 places where I must not have looked...... as well I also know this question is very much about the headset and not my PPC-6600 which I am going to use it with, but as I am using it with the 6600, I wanted to put my question out to people who use both devices so I could have a better perspective of the opinions returned.... ok, this disclaimer aside, here is what I am curious about:

When you receive a call with the HT820 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...4364&CatId=907) does the audio use both speakers (as it would for the stereo music) or just one? My question is in regards to my desire to use this headset as a hands free device while driving, but not wanting to block out any of the other 'sounds of the road'

A follow up to this question, that will require the personal opinions of those who have used the device (and hopefully I can get several), how much of the surrounding sound does the headset block out when not streaming any audio. This again in regards to the driving situation, but also just wearing the headset occasionally as just a hands free device. In situations where I am not streaming audio would just wearing the headset block out surrounding sounds do you think?

My main 'planned' use is while walking the dog, so in that situation I will be listening to music, yet not wanting to miss calls, the car is secondary, but still a curiosity.

Thanks very much for your time, and I look forward to your replies.....

Quote Originally Posted by BBJones
    When you receive a call with the HT82 does the audio use both speakers (as it would for the stereo music) or just one? My question is in regards to my desire to use this headset as a hands free device while driving, but not wanting to block out any of the other 'sounds of the road'
    I don't know about that headset, but I use the GlobalSat with Sony earbuds and when I'm using it as a hands-free I only have the right bud stuck in my ear. I'm not sure how that would work with the Motorola though, because it uses headphones instead of buds. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Yes, that is my exact concern as well... if the motorola does use both earphones for phone calls I may also look into an earbud solution (such as the GlobalSat) because then I can just remove one of the earbuds…

Yes, the HT820 does use both earphones for calls. I used the HT820 for a few days before returning it, because the headband was simply too tight. The design is such that you cannot use just one earphone. When I was using the HT820, it blocked enough outside sound that I did not even consider using it while driving.
    I'm now using the Plantronics 590A, which is a keeper. The design is such that one earphone can easily and comfortably be moved forward enough to not block outside sounds.
    Mick

Hey that’s great thanks so much…. The Plantronics over the head look just doesn’t work for me, but it’s great to hear your take on the HT820…. Does anyone out there who still uses the HT820 feel any differently, or is 'in car' not an application you would consider either? Maybe with a better fit (it was too tight for Mick) it could be adjusted? How much weight would it put on the one ear if you had one ear clipped in and let the other side sit on your shoulder?

Thanks again,
    Tyler

How about VOLUME! Which over the head headset sounds better and has volume! I have the Globalsat with the earbuds and love its AMPle Volume and use these exclusively in the car and around town. But I'd like some over the head units for comfort while gaming or watching movies on my computer. So VOLUME report anyone?
    Z1
    Verizon xv6600

Now I KNOW the volume issue is in other threads, and I would really hate to lose the point of this one to an already on going debate….. volume of the speakers aside, how does the Motorola HT820 Stereo Headset work if you only want to listen in one ear… and how much outside noise does it block out when not in use…. Also, is there anyway to limit the phone call to just one earphone, that is probably a good question at this point….. As well, as mentioned, the over the head style doesn’t work for me, so again neckband solutions (like the HT820) are more where I would hope this discussion would go if it does have to veer away from the HT820, something I hope it doesn’t have to….

DON'T start crying now, just cuz I asked a question as a side note to yours! ROFLMAO!
    Verizon xv6600

yeah... so I don't know what ROFLMAO means... but some random letters to you as well maybe????? As for crying not really into that either.. I am really interested in the Motorola HT820 Stereo Headset though.. and as I started this thread in hopes of getting some specific info about the HT820 I am doing my best to keep in moving in that direction. If you feel the many other VOLUME threads don't address your question, start your own thread and ask there, but don't add messages to one that was starting to work towards being productive.. .and as for saying whatever your ROL... save that for PMs as no one else needs to lose time playing the acronym game.

For everyone who has read this sorry for wasting your time For those who want to talk about volume, please do so elsewhere… for all those who use and love the HT820 I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

The HT820 and Plantronics 590A are both available at Compusa. The store where I bought my HT820 wouldn't let me try it out it the store, but has a liberal return policy, which meant I got to try it at my leisure, and had no problem returning it for a full refund when it didn't work out. The 590A is also available at the Sharper Image, where they let me try it out at the store. Both have excellent volume and connectivity. Even though I have limited hearing in one ear, I had to keep the volume at a relatively low level. The 590A actually re-connects the A2DP automatically, which none of the other headsets I tried was able to do (perhaps because most BT stereo headsets are V1.2, while the 590A is V2.0), and is far more comfortable for me. Both were able to maintain a connection through a wall.
    In choosing either of these, trying them at a brick and mortar store should answer your questions regarding single ear use and the extent to which they block outside noise (which may vary depending on your preferred volume, which in my opinion is more than ample with either one).
    Mick

Thanks a ton Mick…. Unfortunately I’m up in Northern Canada Eh… so there aren’t any stores that carry Bluetooth stereo headsets in town… in fact no one at any of the stores I talked with even knew what they were (most tired to convince me it couldn’t exist actually).. I think the only one I can get into town is through futureshop, and it isn’t one I’ve seen recommended anywhere else (a Sonorix one, has integrated MP3 player as well, and is $299)…. So yeah, as the shopping experience often does, I am forced to rely on the word of others…. I’m pretty sure the place I would likely order the HT820 from would allow me to return it, but it looks like it takes a while for them to ship out the HT820 so as I’ll be waiting a month or so from when I order it to when I get it, I find it’s worth while to put in some time before hand researching products….. I don’t want to wait, but maybe I should leave it till the next conference trip, or whatever gets me out of town next, so that I can shop around…. Then again having a website to make exchanges with is often better then a store 800Km away (particularly if the store isn’t a major chain)….. Does anyone out there know of any of the major electronics chains in Canada (Staples, London Drugs, Future shop, The Source are the ones here in town) that can bring in any of these headsets? Obviously the sales people I was talking with weren’t up to speed, so maybe there are other options I could get them to order in? The Sonorix one doesn't even seem worth bringing in which is why I have turned all my attention to the net……

AND as always, I’d like to finish with: I’m looking forward to hearing some feedback from happy HT820 users…. Thanks ever so much for your time!

PS Thanks for the commentary on volume as well, nice to see you doing a good job at keeping everyone happy
    Last edited by BBJones; 03-07-2006 at 09:51 AM.

I've been using he HT820 headset for a week or so. They have been fantastic. Phone calls come through both sides and the phones keep alot of sound out even when there isn't audio coming through...but the neckband is flexible enough so that I can have one directly over my ear and the other above the other ear so I an hear my surroundings.

They do get a little uncomfortable after awhile, but I just wear them around my neck a few minutes and then put them back on. I mostly listen to streaming radio so I take a break on commercials...Sometimes they are a little more comfortable if I turn them upside down so that they aren't putting weight on top of my ears...You can experiment...

I ordered mine from one of the merchants on pricegrabber.com for about $90, inc shipping. Got it in 2 days, reg USPS shipping.

Be sure to download the AD2P hack from Ehud, or it won't work. I also had it dropping connection every few minutes for a while but it was a memory problem due to too much stuff on my Today page (search for BT memory problem, etc). Works great now
    Last edited by rodneylee; 03-13-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks a ton... I am ordering mine today I'll check out pricegrabber, but as I need to get them to Canada, TigerDirect is probably my best bet..... thanks again, that's a great review!

My Bluetooth is built in!
    How do the HT820 headphones handle sharing an incoming call with another bluetooth headset? When a call comes in I would like the music through the HT820s to mute and to be able to push them down on my neck and put on a regular bluetooth headset, then push the button to answer the call.

Can they handle this? I suppose I would pair the HT820s with just the AADP profile and the bluetooth headset with just the handsfree profile, right?
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Bryan,

The HT820 does everything a headset does too...answer & make calls, etc (it has a mic). If your listening to music and a call comes in, the music automatically mutes/pauses and your call comes through. It's suppose to resume after the call, but so far, I've had to restart my stream...Haven't seen what happens with music files on ppc yet though...

Make sure though that they work with 6700...you would think they do since they work with 6600 (after downloading the A2DP hack), but not sure...I've read about it on this forum somewhere but can't remember...I think it was in "Bluetooth success/failure" thread...or do a search on A2DP profile...

BB,

If you have any problems once you get them, I can maybe help...not a total guru though...Have you or do you plan to download that A2DP hack?

Thanks Rodney I may take you up on that.... my HT820 is in the mail so once I have it and play around for a bit I'll let you know if I need any help...... am I going to need the A2DP hack, or a BT update? I haven't looked into it at all, but with my device being released later then the American 6600s (mine from Bell, so an even later release then the Canadian Telus 6600) aren't most of the upgrades/patches/hacks based on the software that was released on mine or at least equivalent? Once I have the headphones and play around with them for a while I’ll know better about all of that I guess… but as a heads up do you know? I already have ROM version: 2.04.00 WWE, and Bluetooth Build 3500… does that mean I’m set, or will I still be missing something?

Thanks very much!

Tyler

PS And by all means, feel free to hold of on your reply until I’ve actually had a chance to play around for myself……

To determine whether you need the A2DP patch, you just need to go to your Bluetooth Manager>Connection Wizard and see whether High Quality Audio setup is one of your available profiles.
    Mick

Thanks Mick! Looking at my available profiles it would appear I do need the A2DP patch, I'll track that down before the headphones get here I guess.

Thanks!

Anyone know where I can find these hacks or patches. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to fins them. I got the XV6700 and the headset and am very disappointed with the tinny mp3 playback.