+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Formatted Wha?

Formatted Wha?

Okay I dropped my phone today and there was no physical damage except my SD card popped up a little. I pop it back it and it says theres nothing in the card. How does dropping my phone format my SD card in a split second... so confused >.< (and pissed since it doesnt back up)

its probably didnt format it. It probably is just not able to read it. You might need to format the card on your computer to get the phone to recognize it again. Possibly you broke it?? Try the formatting option on your pc and let us know...

Before you re-format the card, might make sure its readable in a PC card reader first.

That should at least confirm whether or not your SD card slot might be busted on your phone before you trash your data.

In the future, I'd recommend picking up a card reader (if you don't have one) and just copying the contents off it every so often to a hard drive. They're pretty cheap. I bought one off newegg.com for $10 and it reads just about every memory card format available.

hec
    FYI, a quick way to keep a current backup of your SD card on you PC, if you have a card reader and WinXP, is to create a briefcase on the PC (right-click inside any folder & select New -> Briefcase) and drag the contents of the SD card into it. Then any time you want to sync the two together, insert the card into the reader, right-click on the briefcase, and select Update All. A dialogue will prompt you to accept the changes, and you're done.

yea i used my card reader as the first thing. nothin on it (damnit). I should've just backed copied the data on the card but ya know i never thought i had to because 99.9% of the time they dont just erase themselves

I feel for you. This has happened to me 3 times over the past year, and I have never dropped my phone. I believe it may be caused by some software I have installed -- I have several bloated medical software programs installed to the SD card, and I think bugs in those programs somehow corrupt the card making it unreadable (both by the phone and my card reader). Worse, I initially backed up nightly to the card and kept all my critical .cabs for reinstallation on the card - a lot of good that did! I use all the software I have installed, so I have resorted to keeping an extra SD card in my case with critical data and backup files.
    Oh, the things we do for love....
    ---Randy

lol mine wasnt even unreadable.. its like my phone is laughing at me right now

its not the 99.9%of the time it works we need to worry abou. its that damn .01% of the time when murphy rears his ugly head and says HEY YOU IM HERE!!!