+ Reply to Thread

Outlook Contacts don't match PDA contacts, won't update

This is very strange. I have about 60 contacts in Outlook on my laptop (which got there from activesynch from my PDA about a month ago).

Somehow (no idea how) about 15 of them got deleted off my PDA (probably a hard reset and restored it with xbackup to a version without the 15 extra contacts).

But they won't transfer back to the PDA when synching (bluetooth). No matter what I do. I manually configured Autosynch to ONLY synchronize those 15 missing contacts. No dice.

Made sure that everything is deselected from wireless synch. No dice.

My desktop also has the extra contacts; with USB synch to the desktop, they also wont transfer.

What gives?

I have no folders set up in outlook, so it is not a folder that won't transfer.

what a PIA.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    This is kind of basic, but do you use categories for contacts? I thought I had a similar problem once, where I was missing a bunch of contacts on my i700. It turns out that I was filtering contacts on the 700 without realizing it.

no categories

nope, don't have any categories.

Very frustrating, forced it to resynch, and it made duplicates of all the OTHER contacts, but didn't restore the missing contacts. Guess I am stuck with manually entering them back in.

There's got to be another way around it. Have you tried creating a new personal folder in Outlook, moving the non-synched contacts to it, resynching, and then moving the non-synched contacts back into your main contacts folder?

You also mentioned wireless sync. What's showing up on the Verizon wireless sync site?

I am not set up for wireless synch... never even looked into it.

I mentioned it cause my search for previous posts (ehud would be so proud! RIP.) turned up some problems where wireless synch was setup, and activesynch wasn't working. So I went in and disabled wireless synch (not that it was ever set up to begin with).

OK, the new folder worked. I added a new folder under contacts in Outlook, moved the stubborn non-synching contacts to them, and they synched and transferred to the PDA as I moved them.

Very strange.
    Last edited by tmarks11; 03-07-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11
    (ehud would be so proud! RIP.)
    I agree. Personally, I learned a lot from Ehud and share much of the same philosophy. I'd say the main difference between us is that he is probably a better person. He has a more optimistic view of humanity; he thought he could change people. Me, I'm more of a cynic. I think that idiots will always be idiots and I just usually avoid replying to entitlement queens.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked. A PDA without contacts is like a day... (you get the point).