+ Reply to Thread

Arkon Swivel Belt Mount..does yours actually work?

I got an Arkon swivel vent mount for my phone when I purchased my GPS receiver from Semsons.com

Maybe its just me, but I cant find a position on my vents to where it will actually hold the phone out. I sit the phone in it, and of course it immediately pulls the vent lower therefor the phone is now staying in the holder but its pointing at my lap...does me no good to look at it while driving this way.

Has anyone got theirs up and functioning like it is supposed to? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

I had an Arkon swivel vent mount and tolerated it for a few weeks.

It never did fit properly. It sat at the wrong angle, so after a couple of weeks, I snipped off chunks of the clippy-deal thing on the back, which made it fit at a better angle but still not securely enough for me. After a couple more weeks I decided I could do better. I also decided that I didn't want a vent mount at all because, among other things, the vent was blocked and I worried about the temperature extremes blowing onto my pocket PC. ... And I still need to fix the damage that it did to my vent.

I tried a few other options and settled on a windshield-mount unit that is solid as a rock. (It can adequately handle a 6600 with a 3550 mAh battery, but I still might modify it to make it even better at handling the big battery.)

I have the vent mount and the windshield mount and have had issues and success with both

Throughout this past fall I traveled for work and used my vent mount on eight or so different rental cars - it works better on some than on others.

Some rental cars had vents where it could effortlessly slide in and stick perfectly in plain sight while some were at weird angles or close to impossible to mount.

I also found that it takes a lot playing around to get it in the right spot and a bit of pressure to get jammed into some vents as well.

I was pretty unhappy with my vent mount at first so I ordered the windshield mount- huge waste of my in my opinion. The damn thing bounced around so much that I couldn't even read the GPS map and was basically unusable at any speed.

I've finally found a nice config for my vent mount and I'm happy with it- I'll be ebaying my windshield mount when I get around to it.

Oh and if you are having a problem with it pulling the vent down and the little arm thing doesn't hold it well then you can easily mcguyver a rig to secure it (tape would even work- I had to do that in some chevy I rented once).

play around with it, it should work eventually
    Z
    Last edited by Zachoo; 03-07-2006 at 11:25 AM.

interestingly enough, i cant get it to fit securely at all, my gf used her magic hands and it was secure but like i said dragged the vent down. I don't mind if it blocks the vent because honestly, i have a 16 year old bmw 325i, the vent i have it on doesn't even work, so its no big deal. My buddy bought a windshield mount, my main concern about those was if the suction cup would stick to the windshield. Do they stick well? I might be interested in your shield mount. But if it does bounce around so much, maybe a stand of some sort is a better idea.

I have a whole collection of Arkon mounts and hate them all. I bought a ProClip about 5 months ago and could not be happier. Check it out - http://www.proclipusa.com - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I tried one of those gooseneck windshield mounts (also an Arkon) for about 10 minutes and experienced the bouncing-around problem. Absolutely useless.

But the windshield mount that I linked to is not a gooseneck. It is firm, reliable, and stable -- no bouncing at all. Alternatively, it also offers the option of mounting on the dashboard. I have mine mounted in the lower driver's-side corner of the windshield so it hardly obctructs my driving view at all but I can glance at the device and safely operate it a bit while driving without taking my eyes too far off the road.

The suction cup does not let go. At least that's my experience so far. And again, that's with the heavy battery.

Zachoo,

I like that slogan: "Arkon windshield mounts: useless at any speed."
    Last edited by SeaRaven; 03-08-2006 at 01:54 AM.

proclip seems pretty expensive to me..