+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Programming

Programming

I need advice. I'm going to try and write some programs this summer. I haven't done much programming since I had to teach a VB class, which I just read out of the book..... Anyway I want to write three programs.
    1-A wrestling stats program for the pc
    2-a wrestling stats program for the ppc
    3-a wrestling tournament software

What would be the best language to use/learn? I'd also like the two stats programs to sync with each other. I forgot to add that.

anybody with advice?
    Bob J Vark

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvark
    I need advice. I'm going to try and write some programs this summer. I haven't done much programming since I had to teach a VB class, which I just read out of the book..... Anyway I want to write three programs.
    1-A wrestling stats program for the pc
    2-a wrestling stats program for the ppc
    3-a wrestling tournament software

What would be the best language to use/learn? I'd also like the two stats programs to sync with each other. I forgot to add that.

anybody with advice?
    The fastest way is to use eVB, it's free from microsoft and for basic rapid application development it's the way to go. Coupled with a small database you can do a lot with eVB and if you already know VB its not a huge step. Anything else will probably have a steep learning curve for you...
    Tom

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Depending on what you want to do with the programs once you develop them, you might also want to look at creating an MS Access database on the PC, and sharing it to the PPC.

Before all the programmers out there howl - Yes, Access is a bloated POC with clunky interfaces and limited interoperability, but it has one of the easiest learning curves out there. Most people starting out find that getting the database right is the hardest part. Access makes it pretty simple.

I'd If it makes you feel better, think of Access as a prototyping tool. Get the behavior right, and then work on putting the code into a more elegant (and distributable) form. This also gives you a chance to validate your requirements before you spend a lot of time working on functionality that won't make the final cut. Finally, I think you can search Microsoft's website for sample databases. True coders know that it's always better to steal something that works than reinvent it from scratch

Either way, remember to have fun with it. Believe me when I tell you that you can always see the difference in quality between someone who is jazzed to work on a project, and someone who's mailing it in.

And the truth is, Access just uses VBA so it's all really just VB anyway...
    Tom

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Agreed. Maybe you could call Access the "crap-ware" version of VB? Still, for a first timer...

I can't believe you can use SQL in Access now. It's kind of like doing a case mod on an old Gateway desktop (the non-tower kind). Sure you can, but who'd want to - unless you're doing it for the camp value.

Thank you all

Thank you all for your input. Sounds like Microsoft access for the database. It is also my understanding that I can build a database, and then write code using VB.net. and the resulting program and database can be read and run from xp and ppc2003.

Thanks again for your help.

I wrote VB.net after reading this article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/w...loads/evb.aspx
    Do you think vb.net or eVB?

I was just thinking..... My 6600 might not last all day like I would need. So I'll probably just use XP. Although I would like the program to be portable.... If I ever want to sync a database with a Palm would I be better off with some other language?
    Last edited by Bobvark; 03-10-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    Bob J Vark