+ Reply to Thread

Angry iTech Virtual Keyboard

After a long wait, I purchase one of the Virtual Keyboard devices. After charging and installing the software required for the 6600 nothing worked (Bluetooth Wise).

Here's the drill:

Current BT Stack Broadcom Build 3900
    PocketPC 2003 SE

When I try to pair the units, I receive an audible beep on the VKB Device, but the Retrieving Services discovery comes back with "The device does not offer any usable services"

And when I run the VKB application, it asks "First time connecting to this VK?" I select Yes and then the Bluetooth browser pops up. And fails with this message: No Bluetooth Serial ports could be found for the device VK"

Now my questions:

1. Could the NON Microsoft BT Stack be causing the problem? 3900 instead of 3500?

2. Is the unit defective?

3. Should I return this thing and quit wasting hours of my time.

I've read a lot of troublesome issues most have gone through. My Bad for not researching the problems prior to purchasing. at $250.00 I'm ticked this thing doesn’t work as promised!!!

The manufacters website is no help either....

Thanks
    Tomas
    Last edited by Tominator; 03-10-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Do you have the Broadcom patch for keyboards and mice (included with the high-quality audio patch)? Here's a zipped copy. Enjoy! - sheureka
    Attached Files
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Thanks but I have that installed already. Helped with the previous BT Stereo headset issue!

Tomas

I don't know anything about the Virtual Keyboard (except pictures I've seen), but the ThinkOutside Stowaway works great with the 6600. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Talking Hurray! It's Alive!

Well after 4 hours of research....trial and error. Deciphering poorly written manual, I got it working!

In a nutshell:

Completely remove (Uninstall VKB Application) This alone DOES NOT remove the VKB EXE! You must navigate to WINDOWS, START MENU, PROGRAMS and delete VKB Exe file!

Then reinstall the driver via iTech's setup (Version 3.9 off their website, 12 Meg file) Mine was the PocketPC 2003 version. It will complain that this was not written for my version of CE, ignore.

Next under Bluetooth, pair the devices. iTech’s instructions SUCK big time. (Shame on you guys!) Throw them away! Here how you do it: Pair the devices, Turn on the Virtual Keyboard, search for VKB Keyboard then it will ask you to enter a PASSKEY. Select 4-8 digits I used 00000000 then after you select "OK" from the PocketPC listen for a "BEEP" coming from the VKB, now enter the same number via the Virtual Keyboard Example: 00000000 and hit Enter. The device will then pair. You’re not finished yet, now you need to create a "Shortcut" under Bluetooth Shortcuts.

Select "NEW" Select "EXPLORE BLUETOOTH DEVICE" and check off Secure. Your paired device should show up here as a SPP (Serial Device) Congratulations you’re done. Now touch the VKB icon and select "CONNECT" off to the next step!

Go to the VKB application and check off ENABLE VKB it will complain your PPC isn’t setup to receive connections but it will work. If not go to the CONNECTIONS tab and make sure BLUETOOTH is selected.

Also make sure under Bluetooth Accessibility check off Accessibility ALLOW other DEVICES to CONNECT, other wise you might receive an error when connecting to the VKB via the VKB Application.

That it! Works like a charm and I’m pretty happy with the device. Had to drop the sensitivity down one notch to 9 for my phat fingers!

Don’t close the VKB application as this shuts off the connectivity!

Enjoy!
    Tomas