+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The deed is done, moving on...

Ok kids, as the update in all likelihood is dead for the 6600 and I haven't heard anything from any of my contacts, I am moving on with a 6700. I just transferred my number off of my 6600 and onto the 6700, it was fun while it lasted and I will miss it dearly but the show must go on! I'm sure I'll be seeing most of you over in the 6700 threads in the near future so I'm not getting too teary-eyed, lol!
    Tom

Hey, be sure to let us know how you like or dislike the 6700 vs. the 6600, as you get more time with it.

I've had one for a while now, I REALLY like the bigger screen of the 6600, and will miss that. I do like the EVDO a lot, and the overall smaller size of the 6700, plus having wifi integrated is nice too. Keyboard is WAY better too on the 6700.
    Tom

Good luck.
    I'd be interested to hear feedback from another person who had preferred the 6600 as well. I go back and forth about switching.
    I really like the screen real-estate, but there are some days that I just wish there would be some unrecoverable error on my 6600. That would help make the decision for me.
    At this point, I'm OK and will wait until I have to replace my 6600 or something that has more of what I want shows up [VGA & WiFi & SD (NOT mini/microSD) to start).
    My year will be up in a few months anyway...
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Quote Originally Posted by d2tw4all
    Ok kids, as the update in all likelihood is dead for the 6600 and I haven't heard anything from any of my contacts, I am moving on with a 6700.
    - sheureka (who still believes!)
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I made the switch. After having enabled EVDO on the 6600 then have it taken away, I was spoiled. Plus my wife wanted a 6700. I got Sprint to give me a 6700 for free to replace my 6600 and then ordered my wife one for 299.

I do miss the screen size, but honestly have gotten used to the new size. I used the 6600 strictly as data due to no incoming calls while in data session. Now that I have EV and the 6700, I have switched to using it for my business line. There still are some quirks but nothing that a little registry editing can't fix.
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

I like Sheureka's optimism. I'll be staying with the 6601 at least unitl it breaks (I'm on my 2nd replacement now) and replacements are no longer available. EVDO would be nice, but even without EVDO, the 6601 still meets my requirements better than the 6700. If M$ ever releases an A2DP patch for the WM5 OS (which I consider unlikely, particularly in light of their desire to move people to Origami), I may reconsider.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by MickCole
    I like Sheureka's optimism. I'll be staying with the 6601 at least unitl it breaks (I'm on my 2nd replacement now) and replacements are no longer available. EVDO would be nice, but even without EVDO, the 6601 still meets my requirements better than the 6700. If M$ ever releases an A2DP patch for the WM5 OS (which I consider unlikely, particularly in light of their desire to move people to Origami), I may reconsider.
    Mick
    I don't believe Origami is expected to replace pocketPC phone devices, it might have a little overlap but from what I've seen none of the new Origami devices have cell tech even in them. I will definitely miss my big screen and I liked the overall form factor of the 6600 but I'm sure I'll get used to the 6700.
    Tom

Administrator
    DT,
    yeah get your arse over to the 6700 now misterr!!!

i stil have the hitachi, the 660x and the 6700 all activated. i still use my 660x more so because im used to it i guess. i bought the 6700 2 months agoas an impluse buy and because i always have to have the latest.. :p

the EVDO is AWESOME!!! its like broadband!! i mean , damn, 1X on the 660x was painful, now i can do a lot more on the 6700 in terms of surfing...

but.. it sits in the cradle all day and i take my 660x and the hitachi out when i leave the house..

well, ill purchase the new 2400 mah battery next week for the 6700 and it will probably go out side more... the screen is so damn tiny on the 6700 i need to use my reading glasses... but its cool as @#$%# though!

Makes me start wondering what I could get for my 6600, two 1GB SD cards, and a Socket E300 WiFi card. Especially now that it looks like all of the programs I use would work with WM5. I'm eligible for the $75 off Sprint program, but there's no way I'd do that because I'd lose most of my freebies (and I have a lot). - sheureka

Quote Originally Posted by sheureka
    Makes me start wondering what I could get for my 6600, two 1GB SD cards, and a Socket E300 WiFi card. Especially now that it looks like all of the programs I use would work with WM5. I'm eligible for the $75 off Sprint program, but there's no way I'd do that because I'd lose most of my freebies (and I have a lot). - sheureka
    On just a phone upgrade, the only thing you would loose is any free vision that you have for the line that the 6700 would be on. I gave up mine but I figured $15 was more than fair for PV access. Plus I get 27% off through NVP discount.
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

sheureka - How can you think about it before they relaease the A2DP. I guess if you are listening to your Globalstat through something other than your 6600.
    Like Mick if / when they release A2DP and they clear up the problems with accidental calls then I may jump. Besides one of my good friends is on his 3rd 6700 in as many months. He actually wants to switch with me for a while!!
    Last edited by kiteboarder; 03-15-2006 at 02:35 PM.

What is Origami? if MS is pushing it, I'm pretty sure you guys don't mean folded paper, lol.

Seriously though, I haven't heard about this Origami. Is it a new Device that we might see on Sprint at some point?

A quick Google search found me this:
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...3-3-2006_pg6_5
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Quote Originally Posted by kiteboarder
    sheureka - How can you think about it before they relaease the A2DP. I guess if you are listening to your Globalstat through something other than your 6600.
    Wait! Wait! I didn't say I was going to do it - I was just wondering what I'd get for my stuff!

And Skippy I've got -

$10 Vision
    $0 Pic/Vid mail
    $0 Unlimited SMS
    $0 BusCon
    $0 Sprint to Sprint
    $0 FIMF
    $0 7 pm nights
    $0 Roaming
    15% Loyalty discount
    16% NVP

Somehow I think they're not going to want to give me EVDO for an additional $5, keeping everything else the same. I do live in a non-EVDO area, and one that's not even scheduled for the upgrade, so I might be able to get them to leave my plan alone, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for only $75. - sheureka

Origami is M$'s latest effort to get wider acceptance for the tablet PC--their launch at Cebit kind of fell flat.
    It's aimed more at the Ipod and PSP market than the PDA market, but gives at least some support for the argument that M$ has essentially lost interest in further developing the full potential of the Pocket PC.
    According to M$:
    Featuring full Microsoft Windows XP functionality and the ability to touch, write, or type, the Ultra-Mobile PC is a powerful companion that lets you communicate, accomplish your tasks, and stay entertained and informed wherever life takes you.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx
    IMHO, aside from featuring Windoze XP, the same could be said for a Pocket PC.
    Let's face it: PDA sales have been declining (how many PDA's or PDAphones do you see at the big box electronic stores these days?); the number of new devices being released in the US has seen a steep decline; manufacturers have a hard time with quality control (my 6601 has been replaced twice, my I500 3 times, and my I330 3 times--all under warranty); and, the Palm OS no longer offers real competition.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the much-anticipated ROM update for the 6700. If the 6700 update goes the same as the 6600 EVDO update, or disappoints by not fixing some of the many problems reported in the 6700 forum, it could be further evidence that M$ has lost interest in the Pocket PC and Pocket PC Phone Edition, and the release of WM5, which is supposed to provide a single OS for PPC's and Smartphones (pdaphones without a touch screen), is in fact a step toward the eventual abandonment of a non-Smartphone Windows Mobile OS.
    Time will tell.
    Mick

Upgrade to 6700

Quote Originally Posted by skippyrq
    I got Sprint to give me a 6700 for free to replace my 6600 and then ordered my wife one for 299.
    My 6600 bit the dust last week. I took it to my Sprint store and they replaced it with - surprise - another 6600. I was a little ambivalent, as the 6600 appears superior in some respects. How did you get the upgrade to the 6700? Did you work with CS over the phone or get your store to do it?

Origami is M$'s latest effort to get wider acceptance for the tablet PC--their launch at Cebit kind of fell flat.
    It's aimed more at the Ipod and PSP market than the PDA market, but gives at least some support for the argument that M$ has essentially lost interest in further developing the full potential of the Pocket PC.
    According to M$:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx
    IMHO, aside from featuring Windoze XP, the same could be said for a Pocket PC.
    Let's face it: PDA sales have been declining (how many PDA's or PDAphones do you see at the big box electronic stores these days?); the number of new devices being released in the US has seen a steep decline; manufacturers have a hard time with quality control (my 6601 has been replaced twice, my I500 3 times, and my I330 3 times--all under warranty); and, the Palm OS no longer offers real competition.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the much-anticipated ROM update for the 6700. If the 6700 update goes the same as the 6600 EVDO update, or disappoints by not fixing some of the many problems reported in the 6700 forum, it could be further evidence that M$ has lost interest in the Pocket PC and Pocket PC Phone Edition, and the release of WM5, which is supposed to provide a single OS for PPC's and Smartphones (pdaphones without a touch screen), is in fact a step toward the eventual abandonment of a non-Smartphone Windows Mobile OS.
    Time will tell.
    Mick
    Honestly the thing that is KILLING the PDA market is the crackberry, I'm pretty sure every crackberry user would have ordinarily purchased a pda phone of some kind, either palm or pocketpc based. The crackberry KILLED the palm far more than the ppc IMHO, mainly due to the fact that most execs preferred palm over PPC/CE due to it's simplicity, and most techie's preferred PPC due to it's ability to run windows based software. That said, most of the execs are now crackberry addicts and pda sales in general have declined, HOWEVER converged devices are getting more and more popular, look at how many "smart" phones exist now compared to 3 or 4 years ago! I don't believe MS has any intention of abandoning the windows mobile platform, they are trying to embed it in more and more things these days, anything like a laptop, tabletpc, or even origami are still more computers than anything else and are FAR too large and complex to suit the needs of the average pda phone user. NOBODY is going to carry around even an origami sized device everywhere they go, I think PPC phones like the 6700 are about as large a device as the public would be willing to cart around day to day. As you said, time will tell...

On another note, I got most of my software loaded on the 6700 today, I have to order the pdair car mount for it as I already had the alu. case for it, it SUCKS not having that mount in the car like my proclips mount for the 6600! At least I got TomTom5 on there and working. Good stuff!
    Tom

If the 6700 update goes the same as the 6600 EVDO update...
    ...Time will tell.
    Mick
    Update is available...
    Sprint PPC-6700 AKU2/MSFP ROM Update Thread
    It's another thing that is getting me to lean towards switching.
    Peace ~ Trident

I've been following the thread on the 6700 update. It appears a good number of things have been improved, but there is still no A2DP (even though it was reported to be working fine in the beta version of the update). After having A2DP for several months, that's a feature I'm simply not willing to give up, so I'll definitely be sticking with the 6601 for a while. Hopefully, A2DP will be made available for the WM5 OS before my 6601 gives up the ghost and replacements are no longer available.

I totally agree with Tom re the crackberry. It is definitely the device of choice for most executives I know. I suspect in many cases, it's more of a status symbol than anything else. With the execs (and executive wanna-be's) going for the crackberry, and the masses going for the ipod and ipod clones, it's no doubt that the USA has become a tough market for true PDA's.

While I'm not ready to move on to the 6700 yet, the fact that Microsoft appears to have included many of the suggestions for improvement made in this site's 6700 forum does provide hope for the future. While I don't have a need for push email, I consider the inclusion of push email in the 6700 update a very positive step that seems to indicate Microsoft has gotten serious about the crackberry competition.

Mick