+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry upgraded to rom 2.04 now phones dead

i followed the instructions on upgrading to rom 2.04 and on last last step i got the following : 100% download failed, Checksum failed. Then i removed the SD card and restet, BUT MY PHONE IS STUCK IN BOOTLOADER MODE. ive tried everything soft,hard resets, reinstalling again, but i get nothing. its still stuck in this mode. all i get is a screen saying SERIAL v. 1.02, thats it PLEASE SOMEONE HELP. Can i flash in a different rom or something?

Fully Converged
    yes just run the 1.36 or 2.03 flasher or double check the header on the 2.04 update
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    Like Helix said try downgrading it. I was running the latest ROM that was available and then upgraded to that hacked EVDO ROM. I tried downgrading back to the original ROM and my phone won't connect to Sprint's towers anymore.

So now I'm using the EVDO ROM which works, but I have no improvement in speed.

what do you mean double check the header??

i followed the instructions to a T. i dont see why it wont dump the rom to my phone. Im trying the dump from the factory rom to this one, do i have to upgrade to 2.03 first?

If you didn't know what the header to the rom is, maybe you shouldn't have tryed upgrade. The header is the 416 bytes of data you were supposed to have copied from the original rom of your pcc to the 2.04 rom you were upgrading too. Not copying this information to the rom before you installed it, could be the cause of your problems.

oh yeah, of course i copied the header.

here are the steps i did if somethings different please let me know.
    1.put my ppc memory info onto the sd card. said succesfull.
    2. ran ntrw and it made a file called oldrom
    3. i took this oldrom file and ran bytecopy and copied the 416 to the telusd2s.rar file
    4. used physdiskwrite to put the telusd2s.rar file onto my sd card
    5. put it into my ppc then a screen saying press power button came up so i did, then is said downloading, after 100% was finished i took out sd card and nothing happened, it just stays at the bootloader screen. Did i miss a step or something???

..... the only differnce i saw was in ehuds step by step, he would mention the file telusd2a.nb1 i dont have this file, i have the file telusd2s.rar so i did the whole process with telusd2s.rar is this wrong?
    Last edited by snowmandc; 03-18-2006 at 09:01 PM.

From your comments I'd recommend going to 2.03. 2.04 doesn't gain much and is much more of a pain to do. Running the 2.03 installer should fix your phone.

That being said - you need to unrar the rar file before doing anything.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Fully Converged
    yes you did this wrong. You have no idea what you are doing and I am surprised the phone even let you flash the ROM. RAR is a compression algorithm, much like ZIP. You need to DL WinRAR and decompress the telusd2s.rar file to get the telusd2s.nb1. Why you never mentioned this earlier I have no idea.

This is a case in point for not following the warnings on Ehud's site about attempting an upgrade you have no idea how to do. This is not an upgrade that will hold your hand the whole way through, and that isn't what we are here for either. This is basic computer knowledge and if you do not know this, you don't know what you are doing. Do not state in the future that you followed the instructions to a T when you didnt. If you notice a problem such as one of the files doesnt have the correct extension, please mention it or do a search, perhaps with google, on what a RAR file is or what an NB1 file is. This site is not here to babysit you and hold your hand when you eff up your phone because you attempt something that is over your head. Simply being able to follow instructions does not make you qualified to attempt an upgrade. Try to understand what you are working with in the future before you do something like this in order to avoid a panic-induced situation. Also, if you had done any research into what the bootloader is and actually bricking your phone, you would have known what to do. The information about what to do if you are at the bootloader screen is on this site and it is not necessary to start another thread simply because you have gotten yourself there and failed to search. Read the FAQ on Ehud's site, especially the part about posting to a message board
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

I'd hardly call the 2.04 update procedure 'basic computer knowledge', but yeah, he shouldn't have tried it.
    *sparks*

Fully Converged
    Maybe I should have clarified...the 2.04 update isnt basic computer knowledge but file extention types are, like the difference between a .rar and a .nb1
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Damn helix139 get your damn pannies out of a bunch.!! so i didnt know i had to change the file extensions. Damn doesnt mean you should write a book crying to me. anyways thats what forums are here for , is to learn and discuss new ideas. anyways thanks for the .rar info. on a side note i did fix my phone. i went to the phones webpage i think its ustar.com or something like that and it uploaded 2.03 into my phone with no problems. I USED SEARCH TO FIGURE THAT OUT. anyways i always use search so bustin my balls over me not using it, is un-called for.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    > Damn
    don't swear
    > helix139 get your damn pannies[sic]
    don't swear
    >out of a bunch.!!
    There is no such punctuation mark as a ".!!"
    >so
    Capitalize the first word of a new sentence
    >i
    Capitalize every use of I
    >didnt
    Use an apostrophe in a contraction
    >know i
    See previous comment about I
    >had to change the file extensions
    Tha'ts not what he said, and that's not what you need to do.
    >Damn
    Don't swear.
    >doesnt
    See previous comment about contractions
    >mean you should write a book
    No books were written
    >crying to me
    Nobody cried to you. You cried to this forum. This forum has readers. They indicated that you didn't follow the instructions, claimed you followed the instructions, and in short, lied and screwed up your phone. Your thanks for these conclusions are shrouded in the irony of insults.
    >anyways
    That's not a word
    >thats
    See previous comment on contractions
    >what forums are here for...

Yes, that's my issue with this dumbed-down "it's ok to be stupid and not read the FAQ and follow simple directions" and "it's bad to tell people that they should read the FAQ or the sticky threads or use search forum."

It's people like you that prove my point admirably.

Thank you for being the ****wit du jur.

Ehud

Ahhhhhhhhh......good to see your still stirring the pot! LOL!
    Verizon xv6600

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Stirring the pot?

I'm an educator.

Perhaps I will achieve something in grammar.

Certainly I won't get these Pleasentville Moderators to move in any Hamiltonian direction.

Ehud

Talking

WOW, too bad i didnt write a perfect comment with perfect GRAMMER in "A FORUM". I should have taken the EXTRA 20 secs to make sure it was perfect. Someone needs to get laid and lay off the grammer checking. and oh yeah, get off helix's nuts.

Ehud cracks me up! I would have intervened, but he beat me to it. Ehud is right.

First things' first: Read the directions and the FAQ before trying to flash your phone. If you read the FAQ and directions, you won't get upset and turn your $400 phone into a digital brick.

Secondly, while you are correct in determining that this is indeed a forum, it isn't the place to cry about your new digital brick. ...especially considering the directions and FAQ provided by Ehud.

Lastly, at a minimum, try and use proper grammar and spelling in your posts. The bulk of us are adults here, and have some sort of education. While crying about your predicament, you amplified our lack of giva****atood because of your pre-teen diction.

Love ya, no ****.
    VZN XV-6800GPS
    http://www.antiterrornet.com
    ..because even you'd fly 10k miles to smoke a camel

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar

I get a kick out of people that actually take the time to correct people's grammatical errors. Get a life dude. Seriously.

The poor guy needs our help, not smart-ass replies and a spelling class.
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Fully Converged
    Glad to see you're back Ehud...seriously the mods need to make a sticky to that link about posting in a forum that you have in your FAQ. Honestly I think it might have been better before the 2.04 instructions were simplified. Now they are just simple enough for unqualified people to not read the warnings, attempt to follow them, "brick" their phone, and come in here without reading FAQ's or searching.

Seriously, for the 2.04 upgrade, if you answer yes to any of these questions the upgrade isnt for you...

1. I DO NOT know what a header is
    2. I DO NOT know what bootloader is
    3. I DO NOT realize there is a difference between file extentions
    4. I DO NOT know why I am flashing this ROM other than that it is a higher version number
    5. I HAVE NOT read about the problems and solutions encountered by users who have updated before me.
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

There is a high correlation here between lazy writing and laziness about searching for answers.

I want to thank Ehud for cracking down on both.

No one expects these postings to be Pulitzer Prize-winning novels or doctoral dissertations, but it’s a basic courtesy to read over what you write and make sure it bears a passing resemblance to English.

I also want to thank Ehud for providing all of the great information that he has shared in this forum and on his own site. Shortly after I joined this board, I followed his instructions to upgrade to the 2.03 ROM. I further followed his instructions not to try upgrading to the 2.04 ROM if I didn’t know what I was doing. I could see it was over my head, so I didn’t do it.

I too upgraded to 2.03 using Ehud's procedure. I also heeded his advice for folks who are not computer saavy, and did NOT upgrade to 2.04.

Great advice abound in this forum thanks to Ehud and others. I just wish some of the "other" others would do the same. It would save a lot of time and aggrevation.
    VZN XV-6800GPS
    http://www.antiterrornet.com
    ..because even you'd fly 10k miles to smoke a camel