+ Reply to Thread
    Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar

Question Sprite Backup Users: Question

I was curious to know of anybody using their backup product. I wanted to know what exactly it backs up.

I don't care about my contacts, calendar, etc as Outlook keeps all that stuff.

I wanted to know if it actually creates a 'clone' of sorts. So if I had to do a hard reset or the battery completly died would Sprite backup and restore everything including my applications, games pictures, etc?

Thanks!

If you are lucky, it will get you back pretty much completely, apps plus registry settings. Would do a good search on the forum since there are a number of nuances to using the system. I find it more solid than Sunnysoft, which I also own. Before I make a backup, I soft reboot. I do have several backups as some so not seem to work for some reason. Good luck, but it seems the best out there and I guess you have about an 85% chance of full recovery from any one backup file, hence my making multiple copies.

BTW, these do not work like Ghost on XP- that takes a disk image. They seem to do a file dump, but they do seem to get most setting and registry entries.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I've found that jerryyyyy is right about the backups. Most of them work.
    The one thing that always seems to get screwed up is my speed-dial list. the names all show up, but the numbers usually have to get fixed/reassigned.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

My routine is to run MemMaid, turn off the phone/internet, do a soft reset, and then run the backup. I have never had an error doing it that way. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheureka
    My routine is to run MemMaid, turn off the phone/internet, do a soft reset, and then run the backup. I have never had an error doing it that way. - sheureka
    Does MemMaid do a complete backup which includes reg settings, system settings, apps, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by INHUMANITY
    Does MemMaid do a complete backup which includes reg settings, system settings, apps, etc?
    No, I use MemMaid to clean all the junk out of the phone before I back up with Sprite. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

When I do Sprite back-ups, I always make sure I use the self-extracting file option. That way, when an unplanned hard reset occurs (such as when I accidentally press the on/off button while doing a soft reset), I can do an immediate restore.
    I also make sure I do a complete back-up before installing any new programs or tweaking the registry.
    Mick

hec

Thumbs up

To ensure problem-free restores, I enable the option to stop all processes before the backup and I check the log after each one to make sure that it didn't encounter a problem with any particular file.

After several hard resets, I've been able to restore the device back to exactly the way it was, and I've even been able to restore this image onto a replacement device. Everything transferred over flawlessly, including phone data, such as my speed dials and even my call history (of course, I still had to activate the phone through Sprint, but otherwise a pain-free experience). I've been quite pleased with this product.