+ Reply to Thread

Question Is it possible to add a camera?

I purchased my xv6600 on eBay and was supposed to get the camera version, but didn't. The seller said he would replace it but i dint want to be without my phone. Is it possible to buy the camera part and install it?

no lol

bahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I would guess that it is possible, though the problem is that u need a microscope and a very fine soldering iron. Thus my view on the subject, Just change the phone.
    Kolyan

and robotic limbs!

You can get an add-on camera for it though... not sure how well it works but here are two I found:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=121109

both under $85 and claim to be 1.3mp

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar

Adding a camera to the XV6600?

Here's what I've got:

I own a Verizon XV6600WOC - no camera, natively.

A friend of mine, who had a Sprint PPC-6600 - with camera. After replacing this unit several times via insurance, he got tired of paying the $50 deductible, and went with a more conventional phone. He has given me his old, broken PPC-6600. The screen is, of course, shattered.

I have already extracted the camera from his phone. The question: can I add it into my XV6600, then assign the camera.exe executable to a button, and basically build a XV-6600 with camera? Would the 6600 ROM (2.07) even recognize the camera? How many more times can I say camera in this paragraph?

When I execute camera.exe now, it attempts to run, but just informs me that it can't initialize the camera device. This leads me to believe that if the hardware were there, it would work.

Anyone?

4/4/2007: For the record, the camera is just held in place with three tiny screws, and snaps right into place.

Gare_NY
    Last edited by Gare_NY; 04-05-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Clarity
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Fully Converged
    you should be able to. Flash the Camera version's ROM
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Well the cam plugs in with a ribbon cable. The cam software is actually in the rom even in the non cam model. If the non cam model has the plug for the ribbon cable then yes it would be possible. And easier than trading the screens. If your non cam phone does not have the plug you could trade screens , but your good screen on the cam phone with the busted screen.

Lightbulb xv6600 woc

I have the Verizon xv6600 woc. I am wondering if it is possible to buy a replacement camera and plug it into my phone. I have found that there is a program in my phone already that supports the camera but when i click on it it gives me a "failed to initialize camera. Please reset the hardware. 36001-100:2".

I just talked to a guy that is selling the cams on ebay and he told me you can not just get a replacement cam for it. I would have to buy one that has the flash and lens for it which he has. It would cost me about $59.99.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar

Answered: Can't be done

You cannot take a camera assembly from a 6600 camera phone and stick it into a XV6600WOC. And you're talking to a guy who has tried it.

While there are small solder marks where the main body of the camera would connect to the motherboard of the WOC, there is nowhere to insert the ribbon cable - that piece of hardware is absent, and the solder points that hold it in place are practically microscopic (meaning that you can't just unsolder it from a broken camera phone, then re-solder back into the WOC unit).

It can't be done. Not do-able. In the area of do-ability, this would be deficient.

Sorry. Your only hope would be to track down one of those SD-card camera's. I've never seen one in person, but they were once available, and they were also at least 1.3 megapixels (the native camera on the 6600 was only 640x480).

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'