+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar

Phone working perfectly yesterday. Dead this morning.

I woke up to see that my PPC-6600 was getting any reception. The tower icon as a ! next to it.

Steps I've taken so far:
    - Soft reset: Nothing
    - Hard reset: Nothing. When the phone performs its initial configuration it gets to the point where it sets up the radio portion and stops telling me that the radio is off and I am forced to reset. Phone comes back up, but with no connection to Sprint.
    - Tried re-flashing the phone with the EVDO ROM that I was running and I get the Country error. Re-run it and it doesn't see the phone.

I have to perform another hard reset as it "stalls" at the screen saying USB v1.02.

At this point I'm at a loss. It was working perfectly fine yesterday. I don't know what happened. I just woke up to see the phone without any radio connectivity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

I also tried installing the original ROM with the same results as above. I have to reset the phone everytime just to bring it up.

I just checking the Device Information and it appears that the ExtROM version field is blank. It's empty. I don't know if that has any relation to the problem.

No matter how many times I try to reapply the ROM I get the dreaded Country Code error. I've tried at least 6 times with the original rom and EVDO Beta ROM with the same results.

Last edited by INHUMANITY; 03-24-2006 at 01:00 PM.
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

maybe the tower went kapooey.... did you look at another sprint cell phone to see if it was getting signal too?

usually, if it was working the day before, and its not working the next, and you have done absolutely nothing, and a soft reset doesnt fix it. its something serious. maybe its time to call sprint. i have no suggestion about the rom. i left mine alone (verizon).

I just saw your post from 2 days ago about the red LED blinking. Did you figure that out before you phone blew up? What did you do in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by robplatt
    maybe the tower went kapooey.... did you look at another sprint cell phone to see if it was getting signal too?

usually, if it was working the day before, and its not working the next, and you have done absolutely nothing, and a soft reset doesnt fix it. its something serious. maybe its time to call sprint. i have no suggestion about the rom. i left mine alone (verizon).
    Yeah I have another Sprint phone that is working perfectly fine. It just trips me out that I woke up and the radio functionality was gone.

I called Sprint and was directed into the store to have the "technician" look at it. He comes back and says that it's dead. No ****. He says to call Lockline. Lockline says the phone is on back order and I may find out if they have a replacement on Monday. They offered the 6601, but I said no thanks. So I'm pretty much SOL. I don't want to switch to the 6700, but if I have no other choice, I have no other choice.

As for the red LED thing it was just the status button. I got a text and closed the window too fast. I just tapped the 1X button or EVDO button and closed it and it went away.

But yeah I didn't do anything at all. I used it yesterday while driving to the ol' ladies house. Went to sleep and woke up to see all radio functionality is dead. Even when I go to the Device Information the ExtROM field is blank. When I try to run the ROM upgrader it shows me that I'm running nothing (blank) and it will be upgraded to whatever the EVDO Beta has. I also tried the factory ROM with no luck. It just goes into a loop after the process starts and sits at the screen showing "USB" and then the program craps out.

We'll see what happens. I'll let you guys know just in case anybody else has this problem.

You applied a radio stack update didnt you? I gatherd from the short thread between you and ehud. did that goof it up?

Quote Originally Posted by robplatt
    You applied a radio stack update didnt you? I gatherd from the short thread between you and ehud. did that goof it up?
    No sir. Haven't touched it since I installed the ROM almost a month ago. No updates, nothing. Literally went to sleep and woke up to only a PDA no phone.

Here's a screen shot if anybodies curious:

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    id try a boot loader reset and then apply the official "update" from sprint. (not the EV beta one, the real one)

after that, if the phone will initialize, manually reload a 1x PRL (i have a few if you cant find em on this site)

if the device still isnt in a useable state, id wait on the backordered 6600 or contact UTStar directly at 800-229-1235 if your still in the 1 yr warranty (i wouldnt mention the unofficial updates or the previous clock speed of the device)
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntledtech
    id try a boot loader reset and then apply the official "update" from sprint. (not the EV beta one, the real one)

after that, if the phone will initialize, manually reload a 1x PRL (i have a few if you cant find em on this site)

if the device still isnt in a useable state, id wait on the backordered 6600 or contact UTStar directly at 800-229-1235 if your still in the 1 yr warranty (i wouldnt mention the unofficial updates or the previous clock speed of the device)
    Thanks for the info.

I'll give the boot loader reset a try. I'll call UTStar in Monday.
    Last edited by INHUMANITY; 03-24-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Boot loader reset didn't seem to do anything. After attempting to install the Sprint ROM it restarts the phone, phone sits at the USB text, and program gives me the country error code. Tried re-running the ROM application again with the same error.

How would I reload the PRL? If you could e-mail me one or some I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I think the only problem is the radio stack.
    Here's what I would do.

Download the 2.03 installer.

Remove the 2.03 CE ROM.
    Unpack your carrier's exe using winrar or equivalent, and extract the radio rom.
    Put the Radio ROM in that folder.
    Use the MA_UPGRADE_NOID or whatever to flash the carrier radio to the phone.

Once you have the right radio, THEN try to set the right PRL.
    I can't help with that. I have VZW.

Ehud
    PS I'm sorry to disappoint... but nothing in this thread is stupid,
    and nobody responded in a stupid or vapid manner.... so I have
    no reason to go off on anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Ehud
    I think the only problem is the radio stack.
    Here's what I would do.

Download the 2.03 installer.

Remove the 2.03 CE ROM.
    Unpack your carrier's exe using winrar or equivalent, and extract the radio rom.
    Put the Radio ROM in that folder.
    Use the MA_UPGRADE_NOID or whatever to flash the carrier radio to the phone.

Once you have the right radio, THEN try to set the right PRL.
    I can't help with that. I have VZW.

Ehud
    PS I'm sorry to disappoint... but nothing in this thread is stupid,
    and nobody responded in a stupid or vapid manner.... so I have
    no reason to go off on anyone
    I'll try to find all that stuff and work on it.

Thanks for the positive response.

Are we talking about the ROM installer? I downloaded this, but it doesn't appear to have anything close to what you described:
    http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=BA_ERK_Available_Ext_Roms (CDMA Sprint 1.36.113 WWE)

No, we're not talking about any of that stuff.

Ehud

No, we're not talking about any of that stuff.

Ehud
    I've read the FAQ's and threads. Help a brotha out.

I posted step-by-step instructions. You quoted them in your post.
    I don't know how else to help a brother out.

Seriously.

Ehud

I posted step-by-step instructions. You quoted them in your post.
    I don't know how else to help a brother out.

Seriously.

Ehud
    I guess I'm asking you for download links without making you snap.

Download links? I think I mentioned three things:
    1. The 2.03 install package. I'm sure you can use search to find that.
    2. Winrar. I'm sure you already have that
    3. Your carrier's last officially released build. I suspect there's a copy at www.audiovox.com/download but I figure you already have that.

What am I missing?

It's not about me "snapping"... it's about not rewarding stupidity or laziness...

Well, the Friday Night date is here...

Good luck

E

1. I'll look for it.
    2. Got it.
    3. Are you talking about the ROM install package? If so, I've got that.

I guess the part that confuses me the most is the 2.03 install package. Help me out there. Pretty please.

DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

I finally got it working. Following your instructions, dug around Google, and we have the radio back!!

- Ran the 2.03 installer
    - Extracted the EVDO ROM (I didn't know I could do that until I actually right clicked and extracted).
    - Deleted the ROM.
    - Used the MA_UPGRDADE and the official radio file.

Hard reset and poof!

I love you Ehud!!