+ Reply to Thread

Windows Media Player Mobile 10

I am a little behind the times, but I just picked up a PPC-6601 (my new phone was stolen, so I had to buy at full price. Figured I would get a PDA Phone). It is running Windows Moblie 2003 SE, but it still has Media Player 9. Is there anyway to update it to WMP10? I know that it was first released on WM2003SE, but I can't figure out why it isnt on this phone. Any suggestions would help.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    you need a rom upgrade to 2.03 or higher to get WMP10.
    you wont be able to get it from your provider and itl void your warranty blah blah blah...

the 2.03 can be found and installed easily but I persoanlly like the 2.04 rom even though its requires a bit more hardware and know how that the 2.03
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

Do you think it is worth the upgrade? Upon reading the posts, it seems like people have more trouble than it is worth. I would rather have MP9 and have my phone function right than have MP10 and not be able to answer calls. Also---is 2.03 more or less stable than 2.04? Thanks for all your help.

BTW, I think I might check out SkinGen...looks pretty cool.

I have done the upgrade and have no problem. If you want to listed to music and podcasts efficiently, seems to me WM10 is the way to go.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Thanks Jerryyyyyy. Did you update to 2.03 or 2.04?

Looks like 2.03 from my signature and flash screen I did this immediately after I got the machine about a year ago using I recall Ehud's materials. We all got into these changes when we thought we might get EVDO. I have not even updated the PRL since then (Not broken don't fix it). You may have to search the forum to get all the details on the updates as some of the real experts on updates have abandoned us for the 6700.

WM10 is much better than 9 because of the synch abilities... Microsoft has a long discussion somewhere of their differences somewhere. It will nicely synchronize your 6600 with music/podcasts on your machine. I found using this method was more reliable than trying to download podcasts directly to my 6600. You can also run most function conventiently in the car from Start button and then scrolling with the arrows. The downside of WM10 is it is a little aggravating if I turn off the 6600, it does not remember where I was on a podcast (this is asking a lot) and occasionally I have unreliable results in my library, i.e. it looks in RAM and not on the storage card.

But, all in all, there is no reason to get an iPod if you have a 6600 and I only have a 1 GB card currently. I would get a bigger card but if I have to move to a 6700, the card is worthless. As it is, I have about 6-7 albums on it plus a ton of podcasts. The RAM of the 6600 is big enough so I do not have any programs on the Storage Card and this makes reliability 1000% better.

Cheers
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

This might seem like a strange question but still, is it possible to do this upgrade on the XV6600 from verizon?
    Tnx,
    Kolyan

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/upgrade/
    http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/upgrade...tructions.html

the roms work on all CDMA versions of the phone which includes PPC6600, PPC6601, VX6600, and the VX6600WOC

the 2.03 upgrade is easy to revert from and less complex and requires slightly less work than posting a reply to the forums asking if you should upgrade to the 2.03 rom. I suggest you do it and ask (slightly more informed questions) later.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen