+ Reply to Thread
    Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar

Any way to switch between EVDO & 3G?

I'm running the EVDO Beta ROM. There is no EVDO coverage in my area, so when the EVDO logo appears I can't connect to the 'net. When the 1X logo is present I can connect.

I want to keep the EVDO setup, but wanted to know if I can force the 6600 to use the 1X/3G network unless I specify the use of EVDO.

I don't know how this would work, but I figured what the hell. Might as well ask.

Thanks guys!
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Up to the top once more... Anybody?
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

As far as i know, the EVDO stack on the Cell towers is an upgraded version of the 1X stack, and they dont talk to each other, or have both stacks in the same tower, so if the EVDO is not working TS as far as the Data transfer is concerned.

The ROM should be set up to switch between the two languages when in EVDO range, but maybe it is just not working...

Yeah when I try to get online I have to dial at least 3 or 4 times before I can create a successful connection. When the EV logo is displayed I can't connect at all. When the 1X logo appears I can connect.

But 99% of the time the EV logo is present which makes it almost impossible to connect.

I'm hoping to find a hidden utility that will let me use 1X or EV by choice.

I'll keep scouring Google.

Just a thought... Have you considered upgrading/Downgrading the ROM and Radio version. For some strange reason, my 2.03 ROM with an older radio version to all of you on here seems to work....

Strange, but then Telstra have been running the EVDO in the city's here for a while...

Actually... I just had another thought. In your connections settings, do you have multiple modems for your carrier setup?

For example - in the 'Connections' setting in the connections tab, it comes up with a link to 'manage existing connections'

When clicking this the modem settings come up with 4 options. in my case these are: 'Auto pick', 'Telstra PCPack', 'Telstra DataPack' and 'Telstra Internet'.

These 4 options for me are the way to switch between the 3 options availible in Australia. In more detail:

'Auto pick' is self explanitory.
    'Telstra PCPack' This is what shows on my bill as Telstra.Data - that is EVDO. This just simply connects with the username (user)@telstra.pcpack
    'Telstra DataPack' This shows on my bill as telstra.brew - that is when i am in a 1X coverage range. again connects with (user)@telstra.datapack
    "Telstra Internet' This shows as telstra.wap on my bill - that is when i am in a non-1X or EVDO tower. Yes, these do exist in Australia still, and are availible to use.

So in plain, they all use the same settings as far as all of the other settings are concerned, just a different 'Pack' as far as the carrier is concerned.

So that may be the option you are looking for.

Just thought of that, and hopefully it helps.