+ Reply to Thread

New behavior by the leaked beta EVDO upgrade

A reply to a thread over at sprintusers.com by someone who said he had installed the Beta EV upgrade and was getting EV access in what looked like a already launched market prompted me to retry the upgrade today.

Previously, the upgrade turned my phone in to a brick. If I was in a EV covered area, my phone would power on, negotiate to the EV channel and stay there. I was unable to send/recieve calls, browse the net, recieve text messages or anything. If I wandered from an EV area to what I knew was a 1X area, the phone would not automatically switch. If I did a soft-reset in the 1X area, everything then worked fine.

My experience today is almost completely different. I powered the phone on after the upgrade, and it negotiated to EV right away. I am still unable to connect to the internet. However, in a EV area, I am able to make/recieve calls and text messages, and so phone-wise the upgrade seems to now work great. When I place or recieve a call, the indicator changes from EV to 1X and does its thing, and when I hang up, it goes back almost immediately to EV. I would say the only thing that is not working is internet access (which is a biggie really).

I am just shocked by how the same upgrade is performing completely differently on my phone a couple of months later. I know someone had posted an update from UTStarcomm saying the upgrade was still on, but I thought it was a case of the information just not filtering down yet. Is it possible Sprint is still working on this and making slight adjustments to their system to make this work?
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

I spoke to sevral people at sprint vision tech support (1 of which is a supervisor and seemed to know quite a lot about the subject being he owned a ppc-6600) and none of them can confirm the the update is canceled.
    When I was speaking the the supervisor I asked him about the possibility of Sprint blocking the ESN's and he said that Sprint is not doing it because it would take way too much work than it is worth.

Here are the latest E-Mails that I have gotten from Sprint E-Care (I am not trying to start another debate and I know that all this proves is that Sprint has major communication problems in there company):

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for writing back.

I apologize that the exact date of launch of the software upgrade for the PPC-6601 phone is not available right now. However, I am sure that the software update would be launched very soon.

Thank you for contacting us. Have a great day.

xxxx
    Business E-Care
    Sprint together with Nextel
    "Where our customers come first!"

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    I think you for confirming that the update is coming out for the Audiovox PPC-6600 to make it EV-DO and was wondering if you have a date for its release as of yet?

Thanks
    xxxx

-----Original Message-----
    From: Sprint Customer Solutions [mailto:ecare@cc.sprintpcs.com]
    Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:54 AM
    To: xxxx@mobileprojectors.com
    Subject: Re: ID # : xxxx(xxxx)

Dear xxxx,

I understand your concern regarding the software upgrade for your phone and would be glad to provide you with the necessary information.

An EVDO Capable version of the software will be available in the future.
    However we are unable to provide you an exact date on which the software upgrade will be available.

I appreciate your patience and cooperation in this regard.

xxxx
    Business E-Care
    Sprint together with Nextel
    "Where our customers come first!"

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    To: ecare@cc.sprintpcs.com
    Subject: ID # xxx
    Body:
    ========================================================================
    Name: Shad Valentine
    Form: Ask A Question Learn OR Feedback and Suggestions - Learn
    Topic: Equipment
    Contact Number: xxx
    Question:I have a Audiovox PPC-6601 and was wondering when the update was going to be released to make it EV-DO capable. I have talked to your customer service about it many times for about
    4 months now each time they said it was going to be released at the end of the month. So far I have gotten about 6 release date. I have also heard rumer that the update was cancled which i know could not be true.

Also if there is
    beta testing I would lik to be able to help with this.

So, Bearxor, any new behaviour? or news ?

Has anyone else tried it again recently? Is it actually working for anyone?