+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Read/Write spead of XV6600 SD card slot?

I have searched, and seen this question asked many times, with NO answers. So I thought I would talk with UTSTARCOM directly.

I am needing to buy a SD card for my XV6600. I have written UTSTARCOM and they confirmed the "XV660 can use up to a 4GB SD card without problems". That is good.

So my next question for UTSTARCOM was what speed should I get? UTSTARCOM replied "Speed does not matter. It reads the card at the devices speed" .

That much I know, that WAS my question ,what speed does the XV6600 read at? I have been unable to get another response from them.

I want to be able to meet or exceed the read speed of the XV6600. So what is it ,40x ,60x, 66x, 133x, 150x? Does anybody know , PLEASE?

-Cody

As I understand SD cards (which might not be correct, so anyone can feel free to correct me), because the file system is implemented on the card the device doesn't determine the speed, it is just the card. If you have a 33X card it should work at 33, if you have the 150, it'll be 150.. as long as the device (6600 in this case) is compatible with SD cards (which it is) only the card should be the limitation. This is of course not the case with some of the other flash media types (such as the older SmartMedia Cards) where the File system was implemented on the device, and as such it was the device that controlled the speed.

By implementing the file system on the device, and only putting a simple interface on the device they were also able to achieve a higher level of security on the cards. The small exception to that might be what version of the interface the device has (just googled this).... As of December 2005, most devices comply to the SD card specification 1.01, with maximum speed of 66x. Higher speeds of up to 133x are defined by specification 1.1.

So.. I guess I haven't answered the question fully, as I don't know which SD specification the 6600 has... anyone able to pick it up from here?

My guess would be that the read/write speed of the card slot is pretty high, though on the other hand the speed that the device can prosses the information low, thus my suggestion would be to get some card that is quick enough to transfer large files on to the card using a USB Card Reader, and economical enough that u dont pay too much.
    Hope this didnt confuse u more,
    Kolyan

Very good point Kolyan (really like the point about the card reader, that is where the speed is going to be used).... does anyone have any numbers on how fast the device can process data from an SD slot though? It would be kinda cool to know that……

Lightbulb

You guys are right inline with what I was thinking. Good information here Thanks.

However,I don't have a card reader. I suppose I could get one though, but that would just increase the overall cost of the card for me.

My last Memory stick was a cheap knock off card. It worked fine for most things but when you would use it to listen to mp3's it would kinda hang up on the larger files , almost like it was skipping. The same would happen with Video files. Sony (it was a clie), and PocketTunes both insisted that it was either the speed or the quality of the card itself.

My biggest concern is that I do not want the speed to be an issue when I am playing back videos or accessing information from the card with the XV6600. So I am trying to balance the cost of hopefully a 4GB card with a speed that is fast enough to keep up with how quickly the XV6600 can process the information.

I would love to be able to just go out and buy the BEST, fastest, 4GB SD card there is but unfortunately I do not have that kind of money.To be honest with you I have never spent this much on just memory before so I want to be sure my money is well spent.

-Cody

You could get this card reader.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163601
    For only about $11 which, when buying a 4GB card isn't really much of an increase given the high cost of the card itself.
    Of course, it only reads SD/MMC but if you don't have any other types of cards then who cares.
    And FYI, I have this card reader and it works nicely. I also have a 12-in-1 reader that works well too, its just a lot bigger and a bit more expensive.

As far as speed, I have a 2GB 50x AData card and have no problems with playing music, movies, reading large pdf files, or anything or that sort.

SD card speed ratings of 50x, 133x, or whatever aren't standardized. So between brands there may be no direct comparison. For example, for Kingston, x means write speed, and x=150 KB/sec, so 120x would be 18 MB/sec write speed. Other manufacturers may use read speed, or a combination of read and write speed. However read speed is generally MUCH higher than write, so you need to check with how the manufacturer designates the x to decide which card is a better deal. My AData card has a read speed of 9 MB/sec and write of 7 MB/sec (I believe, anyway) and its more than good enough for me.
    Last edited by supercluver; 04-03-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supercluver
    You could get this card reader.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163601
    For only about $11 which, when buying a 4GB card isn't really much of an increase given the high cost of the card itself.
    Of course, it only reads SD/MMC but if you don't have any other types of cards then who cares.
    And FYI, I have this card reader and it works nicely. I also have a 12-in-1 reader that works well too, its just a lot bigger and a bit more expensive.

As far as speed, I have a 2GB 50x AData card and have no problems with playing music, movies, reading large pdf files, or anything or that sort.

SD card speed ratings of 50x, 133x, or whatever aren't standardized. So between brands there may be no direct comparison. For example, for Kingston, x means write speed, and x=150 KB/sec, so 120x would be 18 MB/sec write speed. Other manufacturers may use read speed, or a combination of read and write speed. However read speed is generally MUCH higher than write, so you need to check with how the manufacturer designates the x to decide which card is a better deal. My AData card has a read speed of 9 MB/sec and write of 7 MB/sec (I believe, anyway) and its more than good enough for me.

I am looking into the benefits of a card reader, thanks for the link^ . I quess I just always assumed that when the XV660 is directly connected to the PC through USB, it would be the same as having the card in a card reader connected through the USB?

Anyways , I have wasted time looking at SD cards for a couple weeks now and I don't really feel like I am getting anywhere. So last light I ordered a AData 4GB 150x with a read speed of 22.5MB/s and Write Speed more than 15MB/s from ZipZoomFly. I feel as If I were able to get a very reasonable price, and as you can see what should be a more than adequate speed

My only real concern with this card is that I have never used the AData brand (Samsung I believe) or known anybody personally who has. So you have an Adata card and have had no problems , yeah? You use it with your XV6600?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterB
    I am looking into the benefits of a card reader, thanks for the link^ . I quess I just always assumed that when the XV660 is directly connected to the PC through USB, it would be the same as having the card in a card reader connected through the USB?

My only real concern with this card is that I have never used the AData brand (Samsung I believe) or known anybody personally who has. So you have an Adata card and have had no problems , yeah? You use it with your XV6600?
    First part, no having the 6600 connected to the PC through USB isn't the same as having the card in a card reader through USB. Activesync is SLOW when transfering files to the card from your PC. If you're getting a 4GB card, I assume you are going to be putting some stuff on there, quite a bit of stuff. It will take much longer to do so through Activesync. And if you change it around a lot, it could get annoying. Also, when you transfer some files via activesync, it converts them. For me, sometimes I don't want them converted because I'm just going to email them or something. In this case a card reader is very handy.

Secondly, I do have a 2GB AData card and I've had no trouble with it. I have only had it about 2 months however so take that as you will. But in those 2 months it has worked flawlessly, just as my 1GB Sandisk card did before. So I have no complaints.

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    4GB card works great for me. Slow as **** when using ActiveSync to transfer files. Like the guys said above using a card reader/writer is worth every penny.

Transferring movies and music to the card with the writer is WAY faster. Maybe 10 times faster.
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Yeah ,I am finding that out pretty quickly. I am just trying to transfer a few MP3 folders to my 256MB card and it is killing me! This takes forever, I could have actually listened to the songs and been ready for something else by the time this thing gets through moving files. Sheeeeesh!

I guess I will have to have a card reader or this thing will be lying accross the room on the floor by the time I get my 4GB card.

Another thing I'd like to add... I tried using a voice recorder app (can't remember the name) and when recording it creates gaps every 5 seconds or so like the card can't keep up to speed.

Funny thing is I record video directly to the SD card at 19FPS without any problems. So far the longest video I've recorded as a test was 10~ minutes.

It recorded perfectly with no lag whatsoever.
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

I have a cheepy ebay 1 gig and it transfers fast as heck, it's a Kingston

I took a couple of screen shots after running Pocket Mechanic's benchmark test.

The data transfer rate is absurdly slow, so if you're transferring large files then a card reader/writer is definitely worth it. The things are cheap as **** if you look online.

Real world test:

Copied a 150MB episode of Mind of Mencia to the SD card through ActiveSync. It took just under 4 minutes to transfer!

With a card writer: less then 40 seconds!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Read/Write spead of XV6600 SD card slot?-card.jpg   Read/Write spead of XV6600 SD card slot?-card2.jpg   Read/Write spead of XV6600 SD card slot?-cardinfo.jpg  
    Last edited by INHUMANITY; 04-07-2006 at 03:15 AM.

Hey, now that I have my 4GB card I thought I would come post an update for anybody involved/interested.

I got my Adata 4GB sd card and it is pretty sweet. No problems using it with the XV6600. It was a seamless transition between the 256 MB and the 4GB card, other than now I actually have room to spare. I have 2 full length movies(South Park/Office Space), 16 full length music CD's, a few converted home videos , about half a dozen Korn music videos, a 12 cd audible book (Harry Potter), 11 American Idol clips, all my SPB backups , and STILL have about 1399 MB's free!!! This is storage heaven.

I still don't know what the read/write speed of the XV6600's SD drive is but I figure with the 150x read speed of 22.5MB/s and Write Speed more than 15MB/s 4GB card I have got it covered =) . Using the card for music/video playback is silky smooth. No glitchy hang ups or skipping like with my previous memory sticks. So far NO problems at all.

Using the 4GB card with Activesync was far beyond rediculous. So the day after I got my card I went and bought a 12 in 1 card reader. As an example I copied a 1.16 GB (1,250,996,731 bytes) video file to the 4 GB card using the card reader. It took a total time of 2 min 23 sec to transfer the file with the card reader. Then I used Activesync and transfered the same file with a total time of 27 min 14sec AND with Activesync I had to try twice because Activesync froze up about halfway through the first time!

Anyways I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the advice/guidance!!

Great write up. Good job.
    ROM: 2.07.00WWE; Radio: HA01-151; ExtROM: 2.07.111 WWE
    SanDisk SD UltraII 1GB; Logitech Mobile Traveller SE BT Headset

Glad to see it worked out for you as well. If you can get your hands on a copy of PocketMechanic I would really like to see what the benchmark results give you.

If you need help getting a copy PM me.