+ Reply to Thread

I finally switched to 6700, you might want to consider it

I held out for a long time on the 6700 because of small screen and thicker case. I wanted the EVDO upgrade like all the other sprint users, but was not willing to pay much for the added speed based on my usage. I was all wrong.

Well, I really do wish HTC would come out with a damn VGA Screen PalmV sized phone with no keyboard, no wifi (to save on size, cost and battery) which I think is doable today. But anyway...

The 6700 is very nice. If you're worried about the screen, it's not bad, really. Same resolution and aspect ratio as 6600.

WM5 is nice, very polished, lots and lot of little things that make it pleasure to use. Too many things to list. A lot like going from Win2000 to WinXP.

Bluetooth, imagine using MS Voice Command over your head set, you can (with a hack someone came up with) !!! When calling from handset it switches instantly to headset too (no 2-3 rings cross your fingers it switches soon). Bluetooth is changed around a bit, takes getting used to, but I think it's nicer.

Wifi, not critical but works flawlessy and does not take up you card slot.

EVDO, like I said, important but not that critical. Partly because I didn't expect great coverage. Well work and home get great coverage (Worcester County MA and Middlesex County MA). DSL Reports reported 883 Kbits/sec (with 1-2 Bars showing) a few times at home (typically I get 450-550). No waiting forever when browsing for each page. Switches smoothly from 1x to EVDO and back as needed. What's really cool is the old vision plan is grandfathered at $10.00/mo (so I'm told, do your own checking). I have not changed my plan and I'm getting EVDO. It really is a shame Sprint would not support EVDO on 6600, but you gotta move on and 6700 has quite a few other treats besides EVDO.

Camera is starting to get respectable. Might even use it now and then.

Speaker, I was really worried about this. It actually has 2. One ear piece and one speaker (in the back). A lot of folks has volume problems on 6600 (especially on Verizon). I never has problem on sprint with 6600, but I heard better louder speakers. 6700 is similar to 6600. I think putting the large speaker in the back rids the the serious echo problem the 6600 had.

I never used the keyboard on the 6600, in fact I taped it shut for increased ruggedness. 6700 has way nicer a keyboard. I may use it ocassionally on a long email or something.

Battery range seems similar to 6600. Heavy networking will run it down fast. I'm not a heavy voice user.

Bluetooth tethering works fine (as it did on 6600). Have not tried USB Tether but others have it working.

MiniSD, dumb, but probably saves physical space. Got 2GB SanDisk card on ebay $64delivered. Still waiting.

A friend of mine got the T-Mobile GSM flavor of the HTC 6700 phone (don't know what it's called). As soon has I held it in my hand I had to have one. Overall the phone feels smaller but does quite a bit more and does it better than a 6600.

Those holding out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

See ya in the 6700 forum.

Well, I thought I would be the last one on this forum, but if the $10 Vision is grandfathered in, that is a real attraction. I looked at one at the Sprint Store and the screen just seemed too small for my old eyes. If you do not mind a personal question, are you over 45 years old???
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Yes (47), and I use bi focals. But the Bi focal part is clear (i.e. I read with glasses off). By the way you can adjust the system Font size (bigger font means less stuff and more scrolling on the screen though). Not all apps may obey the font size though.

Reassuring for the old-timers in the crowd.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I'm over 60 - wear trifocals - and am able to read the screen. I also kept my $10 Vision with free SMS, PicMail, etc. For me it was a very good decision. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I'm wanting to make the switch but need a buyer for my 6600.

How much did Sprint charge you for the phone since you are an existing customer??
    :butterfly :karate:

DLD

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    Well after using the 6700 for just over a week I'm glad I sent it back to lockline. It's a great phone, but after using the huge screen (in comparison to the 6600) I couldn't make the switch permanent.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Sure the Wi-Fi is a nice feature, but I never used it. I used the BT feature more with my USB adaptor plugged into my network.<o:p></o:p>
    Even with my reading glasses I had to squint to see the text. I increased the font size to compensate, but it takes up too much 'real estate' on the screen and I end up seeing even less.<o:p></o:p>
    If my 6600 ends up taking a **** on me in the future I'll probably go for another 6600 from eBay. If I have to I'll go back to the 6700. Hopefully there will be more smart-phones out in a year as I usually change phones once a year or so.<o:p></o:p>
    I took this picture (sorry about the ****ty quality) to compare the screen sizes. Every inch makes a difference on a device that's small like this. Watching movies on the 6700 was especially difficult on a 2 hour flight. On my flight back I used the 6600 and it was much easier and more comfortable on my eyes.<o:p></o:p>
    The 6700 is a great phone, but it's just not for me. These are just my personal opinions and not facts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I finally switched to 6700, you might want to consider it-6600-6700.jpg  
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Okay....I am a still a 6600 hold out....at least for the moment. I really hear you on all the advantages of the 6700 as I could really use both WIFI and EVDO, but I also do a LOT that takes advantage of the bigger screen....i.e. spreadsheets, remote control office PC to get stats (the compression of z2 Remote makes this very fast even on 1x), GPS Nav, etc.... This is the number one reason for me holding out. The miniSD is probably the only other downside. I already have a 2 Gig SD card.

I like everything else about it! Every time I get tempted, I drop into the Sprint store as I drive by and remember how much smaller the screen is.

If mine broke and lockline sent my a 6700, I doubt I would send it back, but at the moment I am still very happy with my 6600....and this is coming from a man who has always upgraded every 8 to 10 months until I bought the 6600 and is now at 1 1/2 years (I was actually able to get one sent to me before they were officially released).
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Yes, I agree with the last two posts. This takes tremendous self-control not to get a 6700, but I just like the big screen and 1X is just fine for e-mail. I also agree who needs the wireless as long as you have bluetooth. If you want wireless at home or someplace you also have your laptop you can use bluetooth with ActiveSync and get high speed, but why you need to do this escapes me.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Now that I have moved to downtown buffalo, and there are hotspots everywher... the 6700 is looking more attractive to me compared to when I lived in the burbs a month ago...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Nope .....I'll never switch! Till the last one breaks on earth!!!

(or they make a better model with a large VGA screen! LOL!)

Till then I'm STILL very happy with the 6600!
    Verizon xv6600

The only way I would switch to a device with a smaller screen would be if it were in a clamshell form factor, with BT and a SD slot (EVDO would be nice, but not essential). I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I'm hoping there's a good supply of refurbs, as these things do tend to break about every 6 to 9 months.

Mick

I made the switch on Thursday last week. I started having problems with the 6600 locking up and so I finally went by a Sprint Store and it locked up on the sales person ( who had no idea what she was doing). They said it could not be fixed.... bottom line I recieved the 6700. I had to fly to FL and with layovers down and back (stuck in the snow in NJ) EVDO was great. I was able to check and return e-mails via OWA which was painfully slow on the 6600. I even loaded my Power point presentation on it and reviewed it during the flight. Ironically however I had to soft reset the 6700 3-4 times during the trip!!! Happy so far.... still no A2DP.