+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Verizon + WiFi

Verizon + WiFi

Hey guys,

Real quick - I've heard lots of references here and there to Verizon disabling WiFi capabilities in order to boost EVDO sales. I have Verizon + xv6600 and would really like to get a WiFi SDIO card, because my college campus is 100% wireless and I spend a lot of time running about it, but would like to stay in touch with my email and whatnot. So, can I still get a WiFi SDIO card and use it with my Verizon xv6600? And, also, what is the best place to get such a card? I saw a stickied post with a link, but the link was dead

Oh, and one more comment - I noticed WiFi cards stick akwardly out of the SDIO slot. It seems like a pain in the arse to have to stick the card in every time I want to connect, but similarly I can't just leave something so potentially breakable in my pocket. Has anybody come up with a good solution for this? Maybe a case with a SDIO card holder or something, I dont know.

Thanks,

Mahtan

Have you tried Ebay? Ebay is your friend when it comes to this sort of thing. Dunno how you will solve the problem of them sticking out, but i would assume they would work in the 6600. Cant see why not...

Verizon 6600 and WiFi

I don't know that Verizon has done anything dastardly to Wi-Fi. . .they just don't offer it (yet) in these phones. Probably won't, since these are now obsolete and not being sold any longer by VZ.

But I use my Wi-Fi card all the time, especially when traveling and especilly overseas where a CDMA phone is worth less than a fart. The wi-fi works just fine, and that ugly sticking-uppie part is also know as an antenna. . .I have also had some luck using the wifi card with a Skype connection, but frankly it is a lot easier just to buy a GSM phone and get a pre-paid SIM card for it.

Dave

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    I've been using an Ambicon Wifi card for a few months now. Works flawlessly.

As for the stubbiness.. look for the Socket E300. It's supposed to have like zero clearance issues. However, good luck finding one - I gave up after a few months of searching and bought the Ambicon. It was about $74 at CompUSA.

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'