+ Reply to Thread

Desperate for help - weird isolated phone problem

Hey,

I'm running the xv6600 with Verizon service (with camera). Oddly, the phone seems to have all but stopped working - I cannot hear any volume in a call and the recpient cannot hear me - I can't even hear the ring tone as it dials! The weirdest part is it DOES work if I use my bluetooth headset, but NOT if I use the included wired headset. I've tried hard - resetting, updating the ROM, etc etc etc.

So now I'm getting really desperate. I'm going away for the weekend and REALLY need my phone to be working, BADLY, as it will be my only way to coordinate with the people I am going with. Is there any way to restore it even further completely to factory settings, or anything else I can possibly do to fix it myself? If not, is there any chance a Verizon store will be helpful at all?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mahtan; 04-06-2006 at 08:40 PM.

To completely restore to factory settings, just hard reset (hold power button while pussing reset). However, upgrading the ROM should do this anyway.

Would the Verizon store be able to give you a loan phone while the other is being fixed? It sounds like a hardware problem...

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Is your BT headset within range when you see this behavior?

Spud: I mentioned in my post that I had done a hard reset already, and was wondering if there was anything else that restored it back even further or if hard-reset was it... thanks though!

Ennui: That was one of the first things I checked. I have turned my headset off, turned bluetooth off, and used my phone a mile away from my headset... I've even hard-reset the phone and called voicemail before resyncing the contacts or ANYTHING without any luck.

I went to the Verizon store last night, and while they seemed friendly, they were not useful at all. In fact, they couldn't even pull my my freaking ACCOUNT information because I am a Michigan-based customer, but live in California (I am a Freshman in college on a Verizon family plan. My parents handle the account, out of Michigan, but It's not as if I'm going to have my parents go to the store for me). So basically, they couldn't even activate a phone for me if I had asked them to. What a waste of time. Ontop of it, the Verizon store basically told me they had no idea how to deal with PDA-phones/they weren't trained in them.

Argh. This is getting really frustrating. I filed an insurance claim with Asurion and they told me to go to the Verizon store (that's why I was there in the first place). What a freaking useless, broken customer support system.

And I leave for Mexico in 5 hours with no phone now. Great. This sounds like a disaster in the making.

Cheers,
    Mahtan

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Sorry, wish I had more. The only other thing I can think of is that your headphone jack has somehow gotten screwed up. There were some threads on this site a while back talking about how delicate the pins are in the jack. I'm thinking that if one of those were somehow out of alignment, it might cause the headphones to not work, but make the phone think you have headphones plugged in. This would be consistant with the BT behavior, because a BT connection trumps a wired headphone connection.

I remember seeing that some of the guys managed to fix the pins, but had to be very careful to make sure they didn't break anything.

Hope that helps - sorry I couldn't be more timely. Have fun on vacation.

Thanks for the reply The phone appears to be held together by a 6-pointed star style screw... though I keep a screwdriver set on hand for my computer, I don't have anything that specific I'm also worried about voiding the insurance by taking it apart, but I doubt they'd be able to tell, and it's worth it if it saves me the hastle of dealing with more tech support and beaurocratic crap.

I forgot to mention - at the Verizon store, they told me my phone wouldn't be covered by the insurance on the plan, which is bullcrap. I don't have the insurance details in front of me, but when I activated the phone, I specifically asked if the insurance covered whatever phone was activated on the plan (specifically the new one I was activating) and they said "yes." If they try to screw me on this... argh, I don't even know how I will express my anger

Thanks, and I'm off! See ya in a couple days.
    Last edited by Mahtan; 04-07-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Fully Converged
    you would void your warranty by taking the phone apart, but not your insurance. They would be able to tell if your phone had been taken apart due to seals inside the phone that you must break or tear in order to take the phone apart. If you have insurance on the phone and it is on your plan, they will replace it for a $50 deductible up to 2 times in any one year period. The second time your insurance is cancelled and you have to get it back in a year. If you really need a replacement, youd need a broken phone and asurion would be able to replace it at your current residence within 48 hours. Your problem seems more like a warranty issue though.

The screwdriver you are looking for would be a Torx screwdriver. Home Depot carries one that has a T-5 through T-10 that is made by Husky.
    Last edited by helix139; 04-08-2006 at 03:52 AM.
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Question, have you tried it with a wired handsfree? Might be the wired jack is partway engaged.