+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar

Bought the no-name 2400mah battery from eBay

It arrived today and I was curious to see if it would still fit in the cradle. To my surprise it fit! It's a bit more snug, but otherwise it works perfectly with the OEM cradle.

If anybody wants to get one it's worth every penny as it adds maybe a .5" to the depth of the phone. It's hardly noticeable.

I didn't want the 3000mah battery as it bulges way to much. Battery life was never a big issue as it's plugged in wherever I go. I've got a cradle in my van, the cradle at home, and two USB charger/sync cables.

This will definitely come in handy when I'm out all day and don't have access to a charger nearby.

I bought this one if anybody is curious: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5880368835
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    I got this one a couple of months ago. I wanted to buy the Lion, but they were out of stock. I was pretty impressed with how quickly it came.

It's nice that it fits in the cradle, but I wish it fit my Aluminum case too. I can still get it in my leather case, but I've noticed that it's way more likely to press buttons at random and completely drain the battery during the day. Since the point of buying a new battery was to keep from completely draining the battery, this presented a problem.

The built-in lock is worth exactly what you pay for it.

I tried SD's Phone Lock, but I kept missing calls.

I tried PocketMax's Lock, but I kept having to soft reset my phone.

I'm currently trying MortSaver. So far I like it.

Hi Tech Trader
    I just ordered one (cant beat the price), and I would love to hear what your increase in battery life has been.

I struggled with many cases before I decided to use my phone without a case in my pocket, so I dont have a problem with the built in screen lock. I love how thin this thing is... if you have deep pockets, you dont even feel it in there. And thank god for bluetooth.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    It's difficult for me to quantify battery life objectively. Frankly, my phone usage patterns are pretty irregular.

I can tell you this, however. I do most of my charging/synching/etc. at the office. Before I got this battery, it would have never occurred to me to leave my charger at work for the weekend. Now I do. I have a DC->AC converter in my car that I use if I have client meetings out of the office. I used to have to make a hard choice between meetings between powering up the laptop, and powering up the phone. Now, I don't worry about charging the phone between meetings. I suppose it's possible that I'll run out of juice one day; but it's not likely.

I can give you guys a real-world test scenario...

With the factory battery I could almost watch the whole movie "The 40 Year Old Virgin." I got the "can't use the SD card" error just before the movie ended.

With the 2400mah battery I was able to watch 2 full length movies (approx. 1.5 hours each) and still had about a 25% charge.

Brightness was on max and I had the radio turned off during the movie watching.

Very cool!
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    had 50$ in my paypal so I figured id burn 30.35 and see how well this thing works. INHUMANITY, you should know if it doesnt work, I'm holding you personally responsible.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntledtech
    had 50$ in my paypal so I figured id burn 30.35 and see how well this thing works. INHUMANITY, you should know if it doesnt work, I'm holding you personally responsible.
    Bring it on like donkey kong.

BTW, I noticed your avatar. Got a link on creating a custom dial-pad? I can search, but I figure I'd just ask you.

check my sig

check my sig
    Durr! My bad! Checking it out now...

just got the battery today. the plastic on the back is a different texture and it still fits in my Eb Slipper case but it will not charge while in cradle (as it says in the auction) or charge in the extra cradle slot outside of the phone but other than that, i have nothing else to report. ill post later once ive been using it for a few days

just got the battery today. the plastic on the back is a different texture and it still fits in my Eb Slipper case but it will not charge while in cradle (as it says in the auction) or charge in the extra cradle slot outside of the phone but other than that, i have nothing else to report. ill post later once ive been using it for a few days
    Weird on the cosmetics. Mine matches the color and texture exactly.

Did you buy the exact same one I got from the same seller?

Are you saying you can't dock it in the OEM cradle?

Fully Converged
    have you had any problems with the battery not staying secure, i've have one for about a year and i've recently had problems with it staying attached... It would fall out, and then the phone would hard reset... any ideas?
    XV6900 Custom WM6.1, 8GB microSDHC
    History:WM6.1 XV6800w/GPS,XV6700 WM6.1,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX, Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

I've only been using my battery for a little over a month, so I can't comment on it staying attached. It's locked into place nice and firm and I don't see it coming out anytime soon.

Maybe it's just a fluke.

upon further inspection, it would appear that the battery DOES in fact fit in the OEM cradle

oooh animated!!

as you can see it doesnt fit well but it does fit well enought to charge without damaging the cradle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought the no-name 2400mah battery from eBay-ebaybatfit25.gif  
    Last edited by Disgruntledtech; 04-27-2006 at 03:46 AM.

some overly high res shots of the side with the battery attached

just got a new dig. camera and wanted to play with macro mode
    and yes i know those buttons are filthy but i didnt crop them out so you could see scale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought the no-name 2400mah battery from eBay-back.jpg   Bought the no-name 2400mah battery from eBay-side.jpg  
    Last edited by Disgruntledtech; 04-27-2006 at 03:54 AM.

Hi Tech Trader
    Well, I'd thought I'd post a answer to my own question above, to anyone who might be considering this battery.

The battery life has roughly doubled on my phone. Weight and size is noticably increased when holding the phone in your hand... but not really noticably when its in your pocket.

I can now use my phone all day long without being worried about if I'm going to be around a charging source later. I still top it off every night, but I could easily go 2 days on a charge. I also leave bluetooth on almost all the time now, and never talk on the phone without my BT headset. I have push email through VGSmail, and service at work sucks, so it will periodically drop service and have to reacquire a signal. I'm on the phone for between 1-2 hours a day, and then about 50 text messages and some light to medium webrowsing.

Basically my phone would be practically dead on the OEM battery at the end of a day, but now I hover around 50% at the end of the day.

Charging time is about 2 hours when plugged into the wall (not sure about USB alone).

Overall, a great investment for the price, and really a significant increase in the usability of the device.

Plus, carrying the additional OEM battery is easy, since its so small and light... Still I dont even bother most days anymore.

But the problem with the cheap ebay batteries was that they would do a hard reset if you tried to change it out. Would you test that out for us?
    Bob J Vark

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvark
    But the problem with the cheap ebay batteries was that they would do a hard reset if you tried to change it out. Would you test that out for us?
    Heh, I think you run that risk with any battery. I have two OEM's I swap between and still get the occasional hard reset. If it powers on by itself after snapping in the battery followed by that chime noise I know I'm screwed and its time to head for the self restoring backup.

I wonder if the 6700 has the same problem?
    Bob J Vark

no the 6700 uses non-volatile memory and can hold its memory indefinatly without battery power