+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Started Fresh With a Hard Reset On Purpose

It has been about 11 months with my current installation without any hard resets. I notice my system gradually running a lot slower over that time. So since I was sick this last week, I took advantage of the down time and did a hard reset and reconfigured, retweaked, and reinstalled everything fresh.

It was nice because over the past 18 months with phone I new exactly what software and utilities I wanted and which ones not to bother installing.

Now, even after everything is installed and tweaked, it is running incredibly fast. I am not even overclocking anything.

Now for the miracle EVDO upgrade so I can do it all over again and remain completely content until the next gen of Sprint WM phone is released.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

You inspird me to try. Ha Ha. Guess I should ahve made sure I had copies of all my programs. Oops. after 2 hours of searching the net and calling software vendors, I finally am back up and running..... the same speed. But at least I got rid of a few things that I no longer needed and were just taking up space.

Yup....a little preparation does help. Some programs shows your serial numbers you have while others you have have to have them on file. I missed a couple myself and had to go back to the vendors to get my serial numbers!

I used this opportunity to put all my serial # into one text file as I installed each program. That file is now in storage in an encrypted folder.

This also was a good chance for me to download the latest versions of some of my software that I didn't even was out yet!
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

I was given a refurbished 6600 when mine went to crap about 2 weeks ago. I can tell the screen looks a bit different but this phone definately runs faster than my old one w/ all the software it had installed on it.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

A lot of times it is not the software that you have installed on it, but the software you have installed and uninstalled several times over with different apps. They always seem to leave orphaned files or reg entries that seem to bog things down after time.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

yep, thats why I reset mine. Now I just realized that I have to reset up all my Reg hacks I had.... LOL this is fun. it like re-learning every thing I got from this site over a number of months, in like a day.

Mine runs very fast, which I attribute to two (three) things:

XCPUScalar at 530 all the time
    Registry tweak to increase cache to 32
    No Wisbar Advance running in the background.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

it really wasnt a speed issue for me, it was knowing there were ghost files all over the damn thing from installed and deleted programs. IE.... I had insralled Opera a few months ago, but uninstalled it later. but I still had Opera files of some sort as I would occasionally get a Opera related error. Now all that is gone.

jerryyyyy there is a new WisBar Advance out that greatly increased the speed for me ... I also use Wisbar Acvance Desktop which semed to make the phone work even faster.

I 2nd that....the new Wisbar is pretty fast....at least fast enough to justify the many benefits it offers. Just make sure you NOT have cache all icons at startup checked.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Quote Originally Posted by jerryyyyy
    Mine runs very fast, which I attribute to two (three) things:

XCPUScalar at 530 all the time
    Registry tweak to increase cache to 32
    No Wisbar Advance running in the background.
    Is this the version of XCPUScalar you are using?

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_d...ssociateid=457
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

I am using XCPUScalar 2.93, the latest as per PocketGear. Trcik with this is to used 530 setting, not scaled to load.

There it seems the latest Wisbar is 2.5.0.1. Maybe I'll try it. So the trick is to turn off caching icons? Am a bit loath to load it again, but after a good back-up, why not.

I also have had Opera on and noticed that it screwed things up after it was loaded. I removed it, but will check the registry and see if all setting are gone.

All in all this thing really hums along and am goingto have it for a lot longer. I am not interested in working out all the problems with the 6700.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It has been about 11 months with my current installation without any hard resets.
    I'm just impressed that you managed to make it 11 months.

Quote Originally Posted by EnnuiEnthusiast
    I'm just impressed that you managed to make it 11 months.
    Well, if you don't swap the battery or drop it its theoretically possible I suppose. Those are two things that always seem to get me. Thank goodness for self-extracting image restoration!

Believe it or not I swap my battery several times a month. I am a heavy user and when I am on the road a lot.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

I think it is OK to swap the battery if you shut it down prior to the change. I have never tested this hypothesis since my battery is taped on.

BTW the new version of Wisbar advance seems to be working fine without slowing my machine. Now all I have to to is remember what it is good for and why I purchased it in the first place????

Cheers
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    I was running XCPU 2004 and noticed that jerryyyyy said he can OC at 530MHz.

I just downloaded 2005, installed, soft-reset and poof. 530MHz baby!

Thanks for the info guys!
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Unhappy My latest hard reset.

Got outta work around 11:30pm, put my phone in my front jacket pocket. Got in my car, started her up and headed for home. 10 minutes into my drive my pocket begins to vibrate and I hear "If you from New York, stand up right now,If you from New York hands up right now, Get it up get it up get it get it get it up." My peoples is callin me so I answer my phone.So on n so on, Im finished so I hang up n put the phone on my lap and continue driving. We meeting at the dinner so I make the stop. I pull up to the dinner and get out of my car. *click*click*click* (you already know) Looking up into the sky.."F@!%... @D$^#% ... $#!@$#&%$*" After a short while i begin to calm down. Ok..ok... It's not like this was the first time I've dropped it *sigh* but damn, I'ts still frustrating no less. I pick up the phone and examine it. A\few new dents n bruises but no cracks n the screen is fine. *Yess* Ofcourse, those of you who've frequently dropped theres knows what happened. It hard reset itself. "$#@%... %&#$" Calming down. once again..not like this hasn't happened to me before. I let the phone program itself and reboot. Instinctivly I go to file explorer so i can run my sprite back-up off my sd card. I see the *storage* file but, not the *storage card* file. "Huh?..wtf?....uhhhh..." I soft rest the phone and try again. Still nothin. "WTF?! $%#@ %$#@ &%#$" Then I take a look at the phone again. "%$@# my sd card!! where is it?! %$#@" Here i am, in the parking lot on my hands and knees lookin for my sd card. Then I spot it a little off to my right leaning a bit on a small rock.As i get up and begin walking over to it. My friends pull up and decide to park next to where I am. "Nonono STOP!! WAIT!!"They dont hear me. "Back up back up back up" They do. I run over to where the sd card was and drop to my knees as I notice the small rock has punctured it. "%$%@ %@$# %$#@ #%$& @^&$" That is the story of my lastest hard reset and the death of my 4gb sd card. May it rest in peace.

P.S. This was yesterday XD In the end I threw the phone at the wall and it fell to pieces. I've an extra at home so no worries. Need another sd card tho.
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

Believe me I feel for you!!!! I can relate more than I care to admit!

Here is only one story out of several I could share (but I like the ending of this one):

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Have you had an amazing cell phone disaster story or such a close call that it could of only been the Cell Phone Gods intervention that saved it? Here is mine tonight:

I just got approve to upgrade my PPC-6601 to a 6600 with a camera. But I was undecided if I really wanted to because so many places are starting to ban camera phones now.

Well fate made this choice for me. The cell phone Gods must have a wicked sense of humor and love to toy with me!

I went to take my son to see the Winnie The Pooh's Heffalump Movie tonight. On the way out to the car, he wanted to race...so we did. Half way to the car, my brand spanking new 6601 fell off my belt (I guess I didn't clip it on all the way), slammed on the pavement, the flap to my Proporta case then fell open as it slid face up along the parking lot. As luck would have it, the phone skidded right in front of my son (who of course was running) and he stepped on it and slid about two more feet on the phone!

Man of all the stinking luck, waiting so long, finally being so excited to have it back, just installed everything just right, and now I saw it all skidding away with my son riding it like a skateboard!

To my 3 yr old's credit, he stayed up and didn't fall. But I was scared to look at the phone.

When I picked it up and finally opened my eyes, the first thing I saw were 5 pin sized dents along the right hand side and just knew that as soon as I turned the screen on it would be a perfect spider web for a cracked screen.....but it did not!!!!!!!!!!!

This is either a true testimony that the 660x really is well built or that the extra protection the Proporta case offered during the initial impact was well worth the case.....or probably more true to the point a lot of both! (now just praying cracks creep across in the next day or so!)

So needless to say I don't think trying to upgrade a brand new day old dented phone will go over too well at the Sprint store, so my choice is made....I'm sticking with the 6001 and love it!

When was the last time you had the Cell Phone Gods start to play with you?
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    I feel you Jago. I went through the same thing a week or to ago sans the SD fiasco.

I hope everything works out for you dude.
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.