+ Reply to Thread

A quick questions from the more experienced

I just ran across this article stating that windows ce 6.0 has been released and with full sourcecode available. (<a href="http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS2632317407.html">here</a>)
    What are the odds that one of you out there who is a bit better at programming than I (and with the time) that you'd be able to 1) get this to run on the 6600 o r 6700. and 2) hack the 6600's EVDO on for sprint (report as a 6700 vs. 6600 to allow access). Although I think 2 is a pipe dream due to tower side ESN auth for powervision. (at least that's the rumor as to how they keep the modded 6600's out.)

Fully Converged
    1) No. Couldnt get WM5 to work, wont get WM6. Search.

2) Again, search
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Umm.. I realize that there have been efforts in the past to get new versions of Windows Mobile on the 6600. (I do search) But, never before has the complete source been released either. The level of effort to me seems to be now lowered quite a bit. I guess what I was really wondering was, with the bar lowered, is it now possible. But, I'm gathering from the tone of your response that people aren't interested or, at least you aren't. Which is fine.

Fully Converged
    No, I am more than interested. I would love for it to happen. The problem is that a) this device is past EOL, b) it isn't designed for and may not even be hardware compatible with WM6 (we don't even know that the CDMA radio is compatible with WM5), and c) someone would still have to be a knowledgeable enough programmer and know enough about the hardware of the 6600 and be able to put the two together well enough to work.

The problem isnt that there arent enough of us that want it, it is that there arent enough people who can overcome a, b, and c above to make it work. Having the source code simply eliminates the guesswork on the software side. The guesswork interfacing the software with the hardware is still there.
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

While I know the device is past EOL. I (being an optimist) hope for the compiler to already know about the 6600's hardware. I know that in the larger windows OS. (xp, 200 etc) they have the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) . Presumably the same pattern exists for the windows ce os. Their compiler at some point in the past must have been able to compile for the 6600. Anyways. The visual studio they offer in the link form my original post is time limited to 90 days. If I have spare time. (which is unlikely as I am currently over employed) I'll see what kind of poking around I can do in regards to compiling for specific hardware etc. Who knows, there might be settings for compiling already available from the sprint developers knowledge base etc.