+ Reply to Thread

Verizon Wireless Outgoing SMTP Server?

So, I have my XV 6600 always hooked up to my laptop but I can't send outgoing emails directly through my Outlook because the outgoing SMTP server on my PDA is obviously different than the settings I have on my email. I want to be email to set up a connection through Outlook where I can send emails through my Outlook instead of having to go to the web based log-in online. Can someone please tell me what settings I would have on my outgoing server to be able to email directly through Outlook? I would appreciate the help, thanks!

I don't think you can do what you want to with a single account on your PDA device. VZW requires you be on their network to use their SMTP server and, apparently, so does your ISP. Since you can't select an outgoing server when sending email, I think you're stuck.

Outlook allows you to set the smtp server - both on your laptop and on your device. I use the Sprint smtp on my laptop when I'm tethered and on my Cox account on the phone. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I think you are confused what I am saying. I hook up my PDA to my laptop and make broadband internet on it via wmodem. I am connected on the Verizon Wireless network. What would settings would I use to be able to send emails while I am connected with my laptop via my PDA via my Verizon Wireless outgoing server?

That's what I'm talking about - but I'm on Sprint and don't know what the smtp address is for Verizon. For Sprint it's smtp.sprintpcs.com and I just set that as another email address (with my Cox pop address) in Outlook and use it when I'm tethered. On Sprint you have to check the authentication required boxes, but I know nothing about Verizon. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreigz

I used smtp.vzwmail.net but when I try to send an email it asks for username and password for the server and i type in my phone number and password i use for my pda and my wireless site server for verizon and the username and password don't work....can anyone tell me why and help me? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    I used smtp.vzwmail.net but when I try to send an email it asks for username and password for the server and i type in my phone number and password i use for my pda and my wireless site server for verizon and the username and password don't work....can anyone tell me why and help me? Thanks!
    Per the instructions, you need to use your mobile number followed by @vzwmail.net as the user name, not just your mobile number.

Alan

PDA User since 1997
    Has anyone gotten the smtp.vzwmail.net to work on the PPC? If so, what are your settings. Thanks in advance.

It's worked fine for me on both PPC and Smartphone devices. What's not working for you? What happens when you try to use it? Have you set up your user account on vtext.com?
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

PDA User since 1997
    Error message is "unable to connect to the mail server. Verify that the server name is correct, then try again to send and receive mail"

My settings are - starting with email setup page 4/4
    Outgoing Mail: smtp.vzwmail.net
    Options
    Next
    Outgoing Settings
    phone number@vzwmail.net
    password - same as vtext.com

Anything else I should have?!?

Is the password "vzw" in a situation like this, or is it the vtext.com password?

@GSBJackson,

It looks like you have the settings correct. Make sure your check boxes are correct also. "Requires SSL" should not be checked, "outgoing server has different settings" should be checked.

smtp.vzwmail.net

check ooutgoing authentication
    check use seperate settings
    username: your phone number @vzwmail.net for example 5162314534@vzwmail.net

Password- your wireless sync passoword

Check save password

PDA User since 1997
    Re-entered all settings and now get, "The message could not be sent. Check that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct. Then try sending again"

I keep thinking it has to be something small and simple that's missing or incorrect. Anymore thoughts?

GSBJackson...did you ever get this to work?

I am now getting this very same error on my Treo 700w. Sometimes when I set up a new email account it works, but most of the time it doesn't. And when it doesn't, it fails for ANY SMTP server that I try. So it seems reasonable to assume this an issue with the email application on WM5, not the SMTP server. What's weird is that it HAS worked for me so many times....but now I can't for the life of me get it to work again, even with teh exact same setting that worked before, after a hard reset!

Worth bumping, I just followed these instructions and it worked like a charm! For me, the key was leaving the DOMAIN sections BLANK.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    One important thing I noticed in the last couple of months, the problem discussed in this thread true in realtion to pop e-mail accounts, not IMAP. Using your regular IMAP smtp settings work fine.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.