+ Reply to Thread

Updated ROM, can't change ring tone.

I updated my Verizon XV6600 to the new ROM as per their instructions, and now I cannot change the ringer from the "Windows Default" which is NOT what I want.

Has anyone else had this problem?

same thing happened to me

Hey, I did the exact same thing--upgraded to 2.07 & lost ringtone-change ability. I also noticed the battery began to drain much more rapidly, and I had to hard reset several times a week and soft-reset several times a day after the upgrade.
    You may want to do what i did and downgrade back to ROM version 2.03 (although, funnily, my BT is still version HA01_167, and my extROM is 2.07.111). You can get the 2.03 version at www.myehud.com.
    plantman60

I was able to get the ringtone I wanted by renaming the original Windows Default file and copying my ringtone to that filename, but I also noticed almost all the ringtones that used to be on it had disappeared!

I am not having any other issues so far, and am wary of going to 2.03 since I don't know what they are going to change in February.

Fully Converged
    actually plantman, HA01_167 is your CDMA radio, not your bluetooth radio. Downgrading to 2.03 will not change your extROM or CDMA radio. You'll have to look in the bluetooth settings to find that your bluetooth radio is down to 3500.

beachguy, you should be able to downgrade to 2.03 without a problem. You only need the 167 radio ROM for the feb update. I believe in feb they start rolling out EVDO RevA and our phones need the ROM update because it changes how Rev0 is accessed in some way
    Last edited by helix139; 12-07-2006 at 03:11 PM.
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Thanx, Helix. What improvements will the new EVDO bring, if any?

re-upgraded to 2.07

Hi all,
    I was missing phone calls for some reason, and decided to give 2.07 another try.
    Guess what I forgot to do before upgrading? You guessed it--a backup!
    So I spent hours last night rebuilding my programs and settings, but on the bright side, the 2.07 upgrade doesn't seem to be as conflicted this time as last time--I mean, my ringtones are back and working fine, so I still don't know what happened last time I upgraded to 2.07 and had problems. Oh well........
    plantman60

Fully Converged
    Absolutely none for us beachguy
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Don't restore from a backup when you go from an older ROM, unless you use Sprite Backup with the ROM upgrade option turned on.

You will backup first (maybe twice), THEN hard reset and run a utility (called get upgrade data or something like that) which creates a data file listing what is in the ROM. Sprite then uses that extra data file when restoring so as to NOT restore anything that will overwrite the new ROM's settings. You might be able to get the upgrade data file without a hard reset, I don't remember.

Also, make sure the backup is the self contained kind, so the backup file is saved as a self running aaplication. This way you don't have to reinstall Sprite software on the blank device to restore the backup, as the restore will put your registered copy of sprite back on the device anyways.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

EVDO will or should give a faster data transfer rate, 1x is in the order of 90 to 130 k bits per sec evdo should be 400k bits per second. EVDO also uses less power and should be able to receive phone calls during active data sessions

economist bob
    i'm facing exactly the same problem of not being able to change ringtones but didn't see that you got any workable answers, other than changing back to 2.03. having fought through all of the challenges to get all the other things to work, i don't want to fall back if i can avoid it. does anybody have any ideas - other than dropping back to 2.03?

had to reinstall several times

Hi all,
    I finally got my phone back in working order by downgrading to 2.03 for a while, then re-upgrading to 2.07. Everything is back to normal--ringtones are back, battery life is back to normal, etc. I think the key is to do the downgrade to 2.03, don't reinstall any software, and THEN upgrade back to 2.07--this worked for me.