Closed Thread

Angry Verizon is overnighting me a new 6600 because their #$*%@ upgrade failed

Today, I got a post card from Verizon Wireless regarding a required firmware upgrade to several devices, including the 6600/6601.

They are going to do upgrades to their EVDO system in February, and in order to still be able to access their system, we'll have to upgrade the firmware on our devices.

I went to verizonwireless.com/bbadeviceupdate and followed the instructions for the 6600. Made sure it was the correct version of ActiveSync, downloaded the files, rebooted the PC and reset the PDA first, all that good stuff.

If you review the text instructions that you're supposed to download, notice that it says in MULTIPLE places not to interrupt the upgrade while it's in progress. That's FINE... except that my freaking ACTIVESYNC CONNECTION dropped almost immediately upon starting the upgrade. Dead. Kaput. Error messages that Windows doesn't recognize the device plugged into the computer.

See where the instructions say that if the device gets disconnected, we should reconnect, confirm ‘USB’ is on the device screen, and proceed with step 6, running the Upgrade Utility? Guess what? If the upgrade dies partway through, you can't reconnect because ActiveSync no longer recognizes the phone as a device it can talk to.

Welcome to the land of "My Phone is Now a Brick". Won't power off (unless I remove the battery), won't reset, won't ANYTHING. Just sits there with "Serial v. 1.02" on the screen if the USB cable's not plugged in, and "USB V. 1.02" if the USB cable IS plugged in.

To make an extremely long story less long, after multiple calls to Audiovox (the support number in the upgrade instructions... btw their flippin' tech support line is only open from 8:30am-5:00pm EST) and Verizon, the upshot is that Verizon will be overnighting me a replacement phone.

Next time, I'm taking the phone in to a Verizon store and letting THEM do the freaking upgrade for me. I'm not going to deal with THIS nonsense again.

Pardon my rant. I'm extremely angry, can you tell?

I don't blame you.

This is a pisspoor upgrade. Period. I've seen more issues with it in a few days than in the whole time I had my 6600- and as much as I love it, the firmware for the 6600 is a bugfest.

We feel your pain. Did you try removing the phone from the cradle, rebooting the computer (not the phone) and then putting the phone back in the cradle after the reboot is complete?

See, for example, this thread from almost a year ago.

XV6600 upgrade failed and phone "died" - HELP please

Quote Originally Posted by Gabey8
    Today, I got a post card from Verizon Wireless regarding a required firmware upgrade to several devices, including the 6600/6601.

They are going to do upgrades to their EVDO system in February, and in order to still be able to access their system, we'll have to upgrade the firmware on our devices.

I went to verizonwireless.com/bbadeviceupdate and followed the instructions for the 6600. Made sure it was the correct version of ActiveSync, downloaded the files, rebooted the PC and reset the PDA first, all that good stuff.

If you review the text instructions that you're supposed to download, notice that it says in MULTIPLE places not to interrupt the upgrade while it's in progress. That's FINE... except that my freaking ACTIVESYNC CONNECTION dropped almost immediately upon starting the upgrade. Dead. Kaput. Error messages that Windows doesn't recognize the device plugged into the computer.

See where the instructions say that if the device gets disconnected, we should reconnect, confirm ‘USB’ is on the device screen, and proceed with step 6, running the Upgrade Utility? Guess what? If the upgrade dies partway through, you can't reconnect because ActiveSync no longer recognizes the phone as a device it can talk to.

Welcome to the land of "My Phone is Now a Brick". Won't power off (unless I remove the battery), won't reset, won't ANYTHING. Just sits there with "Serial v. 1.02" on the screen if the USB cable's not plugged in, and "USB V. 1.02" if the USB cable IS plugged in.

To make an extremely long story less long, after multiple calls to Audiovox (the support number in the upgrade instructions... btw their flippin' tech support line is only open from 8:30am-5:00pm EST) and Verizon, the upshot is that Verizon will be overnighting me a replacement phone.

Next time, I'm taking the phone in to a Verizon store and letting THEM do the freaking upgrade for me. I'm not going to deal with THIS nonsense again.

Pardon my rant. I'm extremely angry, can you tell?
    Last edited by halbender; 12-16-2006 at 03:01 AM.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    I could be wrong, but I think this particular upgrade has been available for some time ... since October 2 (at least that's when I downloaded it).

Sorry your upgrade went south, but at least you're getting a new phone out of it.

The upgrade has gone well for many, but we all know ActiveSync sometimes doesn't perform as well as we would like.
    Last edited by Kreigz; 12-15-2006 at 06:22 AM.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Your phone may not be a brick, just reinstall the battery, press power, record, and reset all at the same time, then put the phone back into the cradle and restart the upgrade just like nothing happened. The upgrade program will not report the current phone rom versions, but will go ahead and reflash the rom.

But if they're sending you a new one anyway....

I dunno. You can get it working for a few days while you wait I guess.

It did the same thing with the WM5 upgrade (that no one ever got working )
    Those were the good old days... when the roms were fresh and this was THE device to have.

Oh well.
    I'd upgrade, but there's nothing with this big of a screen.
    And I like my big screen. My bulky phone.
    Heck... if I wanted a small phone I'd get that funky cingular thing and put it on my keychain.

I'd rather have the functionality... thanks.
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>

Update: I'm posting from the new phone. Thank God for Spb Backup; minutes after I did the initial programming via dialing *228, I had the SD card in place and the phone was set up properly for me.

That process of pressing power, *record*, and reset is a new one on me. For kicks, I think I'll try it. I've got nothing to lose. And if it works, I'll know what to do if there's ever another upgrade like this. Thanks for the tip.

Whoooops... I spoke just a bit too soon.

They sent me the wrong model of camera. It's a 6601 (without camera), when what I wanted was the 6600.

Is it a bad sign that I have Verizon's tech support 800 number, as well as the three menu options I need to get PDA tech support, memorized?

I called them. They'll send me yet another replacement. Until then, I'll use the camera-free version of the phone that I've got.

Arrrrgh... all this aggravation because THEIR freaking upgrade failed. I hope this next replacement phone really does resolve the issue.

Hey with the way your luck is going, verizon will send you a phonr that still needs the update.

Quote Originally Posted by davepmer
    Hey with the way your luck is going, verizon will send you a phonr that still needs the update.
    LOL, that's for sure. This one they sent isn't upgraded, so I expect that the replacement's replacement won't be upgraded, either.

When I have the right model of phone and I'm sure all is well with it, I'm going to have the Verizon store do the upgrade. One hardware catastrophe is enough.

Could be worse. You could have done what I did. I attempted the upgrade with the same results as you. A soon as I clicked to start the upgrade the phone shutoff. Dead, bricked, gone the way of the Atari. So I play with it for a few, get pissed off and smash the lcd against my knee.

So I have to pay Assurion $50 for a new one and I am unlucky enough that they are sending me another 6600. I was kinda hoping for a $50 upgrade. sigh
    You Think You Know - You Have No Idea

I have tons of third party software with my current setup. When I do this" it sounds like" it's not a hard reset. IS IT?

Most everything is loaded on my SD card along with my sprite backup. Will it still restore everything as normal with the new up grade??????

Also I think the radio version on this is different for the broadband upgrade than the older 2.07 upgrade, HA01_167.
    Verizon xv6600

Fully Converged
    Gabey from what you describe, your phone isnt bricked. It's just in bootloader mode. Every 6600 drops their activesync and goes in bootloader mode at the beginning of the upgrade process. When it shows USB when connected with the USB cable it is working properly. These phones really are almost impossilbe to brick. The update should still work. If not, try putting your cradle in a different USB port and make sure you have your AC adapter plugged into the cradle. Between this forum and the blue angel forum on XDA developers there are a ton of threads on this. Just search for bootloader
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Yeah, Z1truth, it will be a hard reset. You can try and restore from your backup afterward, but that's probably not going to be a good idea.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

CRAP! So that means reloading EVERYTHING over again with reg codes and all then configuring again! Not to menton redoing my 4 GB SD card!!!!There shoots a ton of time from my life!!!!
    Verizon xv6600

Well, you don't necessarily need to reload your SD card, but if you have programs loaded there, if you don't reload them, the new "OS installation" won't know about them.

So I take my brand spanking new, never been opened, xv6600 to Verizon because it was NOT updated before sending it to me and the "technician" told me he could not update it for me because he didn't have the hardware to do it.

I chewed him a new one. That is rediculous. They can upgrade the $20 Motorolas but can't upgrade my $500 PPC. I told them I would attempt the update again and if it failed again I would be back for a NEW model of phone.

Luckily for them the upgrade went off without a hitch this time.

On a funny note I had the XV6000WOC and Assurion sent me the XV6600WC. $50 for a camera upgrade.
    You Think You Know - You Have No Idea