+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Has anyone successfully upgraded?

I just got the letter from Verizon and upgraded also. Exact same result as the other user

Has anyone successfully completed this upgrade?

G.

It figures that the ONE freaking time in my life that I didn't procrastinate with something like this ("I'm busy, I'll upgrade it later") is the time that the ing upgrade is messed up.

Next time I'll wait and not upgrade on the SAME DAY I get the post card. This is the last time I alpha test their freaking upgrade process for them. Let them commit mayhem on their own test equipment, not on mine.

If anyone is brave enough (or foolhardy enough ) to attempt the upgrade after what at least two of us have experienced, please post the results.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    I could be wrong, but I think this particular upgrade has been available for some time ... since October 2 (at least that's when I downloaded it).

Sorry your upgrade went south, but at least you're getting a new phone out of it.

The upgrade has gone well for many, but we all know ActiveSync sometimes doesn't perform as well as we would like.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Hey, at least you guys CAN upgrade. 6600 on Bell Canada Mobility, and they won't come out with an EVDO upgrade. Damn salespeople lying to me.

Sprint users got the shaft on the EVDO deal as well. So annoying having it stuck at 1x when I know its capable of so much more.

read me reply to the other user try it, couldn't hurt

Fully Converged
    Read my reply on the other thread. Your phones aren't bricked. What you guys are experiencing is the normal upgrade process. Put your phones back in the cradle in bootloader mode and run the update again. If that fails, try extracting the NBF files and use the 2.03 updater on www.myehud.com
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Make sure you remove the memory card first... otherwise your upgrade will freeze and it will look like you have a brick (which you don't).

Upgrade went perfect, even with the mem card in. I can even change ring tones.

The second phone went great. Haven't played with ringtones yet as I do not have any on the phone, will have to reload those when I get home.
    You Think You Know - You Have No Idea

I did the 2.03 bootleg update last year, then the 2.04 update after I waited 4-6 months for feedback from others. I think the 2.03 failed a few times, and as long as the 6600 was charged and stayed in USB mode, I could even reset it and start over without a brick.

I had no intention of doing the 2.07 update till my 3550MAH battery broke (wont stay tight now) and I got my first hard reset in 6 months. Figured I had an opportunity to take advantage of. I had to try it twice and it went okay - the phone wasn't bricked. I recall something like that with the 2.03 bootleg update too, but 2.04 was a whole different animal.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I just did the update last night. As soon as I started it, Activesync made that awful disconnect sound and the icon went away in the system try. But the upgrade kept going and everything is OK. Now I gotta find the thread with all the registry tweaks I lost in the process.

They really need to fix whatever's wrong with their upgrade procedure that is giving ActiveSync indigestion. It's ridiculous how many people have run into the same problems.

And then they can fix their online upgrade instructions to reflect the REAL way to restart the upgrade if/when it fails (which can be found in this forum). Their post-interrupted-upgrade instructions don't work.

P.S. Is it cheating to say I'm upgraded when my replacement phone came with the upgrade already installed?
    Last edited by Gabey8; 01-08-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Fully Converged
    Apparently you guys haven't understood what I've been saying...Activesync disconnecting at the start of the update is NORMAL, as is the phone going into bootloader. It is supposed to do that. The upgrade will proceed normally if you just leave it alone
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

So still no EVDO for the 6600's?
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Hey look, at least we have no death screens.....
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by helix139
    Apparently you guys haven't understood what I've been saying...Activesync disconnecting at the start of the update is NORMAL, as is the phone going into bootloader. It is supposed to do that. The upgrade will proceed normally if you just leave it alone
    In my case, after several minutes of waiting to see what would happen next, I got some kind of timeout error when the PC decided it had no clue what this thing was that was hooked up to it.

If Verizon's instructions described what REALLY transpires during an upgrade, and how to REALLY ensure that it completes properly, it'd save their tech support a bunch of calls, the insurance service a bunch of overnight FedExes and processing of screwed-up incoming devices, and users a lot of aggravation.
    Last edited by Gabey8; 01-22-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Is any one else still getting mail telling you , you have to\till 2/15/07 to upgrade, is this mandatory? I am runing the old hacked version for almost a year now. Does the new vwrsion have something different that VZN can tell you are upgraded?
    HTC8925 Tilt ATT
    VX6600WC Rom 2.07(Wanted WM5)
    (on hold)I730WOC-WM5 Upgrade
    HA01,151, Moto850HS, 2GB SD, Moto BT Head Phones

Yes, I got a reminder postcard yesterday that basically said, "If you haven't upgraded yet, do so ASAP".

It appears to me, from what Verizon wrote, that Verizon is making changes to their system. Once those changes are in place, without the upgrade our phones won't be able to connect to their system anymore. It's not a question of their checking to see if we're upgraded, and refusing a connection to non-upgraded phones. It's a question of the non-upgraded phone having no way to talk to their upgraded system.

If you haven't upgraded, read all of this thread FIRST so you know what to expect. You'll save yourself a ton of aggravation and time spent on the phone with tech support.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    I've set this coming weekend as my deadline to upgrade, but it might be more interesting than I'd like ...

See, my main machine (the one I sync my XV6600 to ) is Vista ... no ActivSync. So, I'm kinda wondering what's gonna happen. I have a backup XP installation so I shouldn't be left out in the cold.

I guess we'll see if ActiveSync is really necessary. Hope not 'cause there might be some folks who are Vista only by now.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.