+ Reply to Thread

Amp'd (amped) porting...

Hi.
    Ok...
    I've been away for a while, but I've recently started using my phone an INSANE amount of time during the day.

Rather than ramp up my plan and still be limited, I've been looking at different providers and thinking about switching.

I'm with Verizon right now, but Amp'd has an unlimited EVERYTHING for $150 a month.
    That's unlimited daytime minutes AND data.

So...
    The question is... can I take my 6600 and put it on the amp'd network?

I've been browsing a few amp'd forums and there's people that have done it but they've been having data issues.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Other thoughts - the insurance wouldn't work any more - they don't support the phone... probably a good idea to drop it and purchase a backup phone...
    You know what?
    That's the only downside I'm seeing...
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>

Well, it does look like amp'd is using a cdma system. Also from the coverage map it looks like they might be using the verizon system as a host network. If I am right amp'd would be a 3rd party dealer. They would be responsible for tech support, billing and collecting, the "host" would supply the service and supply the 3rd party dealer with equipment.

The verizon equipment is unlocked however, that does not mean that amp'd can use an unlocked phone, or that they will activate one. The best way to find out for sure is to contact amp'd and ask.

Amp'd won't do it...
    However people have had success calling and requesting activation of an already owned compatible phone... (you just have to demean your 6600 and call it a razr or something, and they'll say, "Ok." and activate the ESN...
    At least... that's what I was getting off the Amp'd forums...
    They do use Verizon (kinda like Helio uses Sprint) as a backend.

So... in theory it's possible...
    I just started researching it today...
    The only thing that looks like it might be a problem is the data stuff...
    It'll do txt and phone stuff, but the data doesn't seem to want to connect.

The only problem I have with this is that the user name and password are the same for tethering the... whatever phone they said that you still use ##########@vzw.net and the password is still vzn for the amp'd network. (also works with ##########@vzw3g.net apparently)

So... in my head... the theory works out to, "If you convince them you have a razr (you get $10 off the monthly plan if you have a razr because it doesn't have the push-to-talk feature, they give you a $10 break on the $150 unlimited EVERYTHING plan) and convince them to activate the phone (may take a few phone calls, but really... wouldn't it be worth it?), the data should work just like normal...
    But would be a LOT cheaper than the $450 bill I had last month <_<

All I have to go by is someone that mentioned they had an unlocked 6700 that they managed to get activated on the amp'd network.

All the info I have came from Howardforums....
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=313
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>