+ Reply to Thread

vzw new update wakes phone in no service areas

Just got off the phone with UTStar and vzw. Noticed a problem with the HA_VZW_207_111_01167_A12.exe update. If I was in a no service area the phone wakes up. If you hit the power button to turn it off it will stay off for a few seconds then wake up again. vzw tech's had me call UTStar to tell them of my problem and to see if they had a fix.

UTStar says that the 6600 is waking up searching for a signal that they had received no complaints before I called but they can see that this could really zap the battery life. UTStar was going to look in to a possible fix - a new update as UTStar told me there was no way short of flight mode to turn this off.

MortSaver. Saves my battery life when my BT headset picking up a call and hanging up always wakes up the phone. %$#@#ing annoying when a while later I notice my phone has been on since the last call I hung up via the button on my headset. But not anymore! Download MortSaver, assign the button it uses to be the audio recording button and use that button as the new power button. Who uses that button normally anyway? Also, it's called "Button 8" to Windows Mobile 2003.

Btw just Google the program to get it.

Good luck!
    Verizon XV6600

Actually UTStar had a better idea, go back to the previous update. Solves the problem while they look into a solution. I also did get the ok from vzw tech support to go back as well.

The wake up with no service is not a new issue nor is it related to the update. I've gone through 8 XV6600 between April 06 and August 06. Even finally got to upgrade to the XV6700 which I had for 3 days before returning it and going back to #8. Never bothered UtStar about it. All 8 that I have constantly turn on and off. Worse for me because I work in a metal building or travel to areas where the signal is poor. I just keep it charged and carry 2 spare fully charged batteries.
    XV6600
    JBT350
    There's no place like pdaphonehome, There's no place like pdaphonehome, There's no place like pdaphonehome!

When I know I'm about to go into a non-service area for an extended time frame -- most notably, my daily commute that includes a long underground stint in a subway -- I put the phone in flight mode. That definitely helps to prevent wasting battery power searching for a nonexistent signal.

Not only does it also keep the phone from waking up when it shouldn't, it seems to be the only way to stop the waking-up cycle once the phone HAS switched itself on to seek a signal. I can confirm that the phone is persistent about turning itself back on once it wakes up.

Darn gremlins.