+ Reply to Thread

Steady red light... am I *&%^$#?

Anyone have this experience: steady red light in right corner while phone is on the charger, but phone won't turn on - and is otherwise completely dead off charger. Battery seemed like it was on its way out (dies earlier and earlier every month). But even if it is the battery, wouldn't the phone still work on the charger? Thoughts?

I looked unsuccessfully for posts on this topic, but if I missed them, sorry.

Any help appreciated,

Melissa

Re: Steady red light

I have had a similar experience. When my after-market battery gets low my phone goes dead and I have to plug it in to a charger, either car or wall or cradle, remove the battery and replace it, and then reboot. If I do not take these steps within a few minutes I have to do a complete reset. Try it. It might work for you. Good luck.

What kind of charger?

I recently got a USB charger for Christmas. I discovered that if the battery is re-e-eally low, if I try to charge it via the USB charger, it behaves as you described. But if I charge it on the *cradle*, it's fine.

I also had the problem you described when my battery wasn't quite seated properly. Removing and replacing the battery resolved te issue that time.

I'd see if I could get hold of a different battery or a different charger and try using the phone again. Either of those, rather than the phone, could be the culprit.

Please post the solution when you find it. Someone else is sure to encounter the same thing sooner or later.

Converged Gadget Freak StressPuppy's Avatar
    I am having this exact problem. Put it in the cradle, red light comes on but after letting it sit overnight, when you take it out of the cradle, won't come on. Then tried with the wall charger straight to the device. Let it sit. Same story.

Bought a new battery and hooked it up to the wall charger and left it for several hours. Still no dice. I have removed and reinstalled both batteries several times. I have checked the leads of the batteries to see if they have a charge and they do (not a full 3.7, but 3.0-3.3). When plugged in to the wall, I checked the leads in the battery compartment and they seem to be getting power.

It worked one day and not the next. No drops, bangs or anything. It was just sitting on a desk.

Does anybody have any ideas on this? Or is this thing just dead?
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC-6601 -> Sprint PPC-6700 -> Treo 700wx

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Mine has not gotten this bad, but dies when the battery is < 40%. These phones are on life support.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Mobile Technology Unit INHUMANITY's Avatar
    Mine as also developed the dieing after reaching 30%'ish.
    PPC-6600: 1.36.00 WWE (ExtROM 1.36.124), HA01_140, HQBT Update. Gomadic Powered Dash Mount w/ GPS Antenna. 4GB SD. XCPUScalar OC'ed 530MHz. TomTom GPS.

Try the wall charger and push the reset button (with the stylus) while it's charging.

Mine's done that a few times... on the charger, off, wobble the battery... whatever...

Usually it's the reset button to the rescue.

And... pressing the reset button OFF the charger usually doesn't work either...

Sometimes, but... not usually.
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>

Quote Originally Posted by INHUMANITY
    Mine as also developed the dieing after reaching 30%'ish.
    Is that a function of the battery getting old, or of the phone? I thought it was a sign that the battery is getting old and tired. (I've had this happen recently with my oldest battery.)

When this happened to me I did a hard reset and it worked fine. I had sprite to reinstall all my apps and junk. It only happened to me once and never happened again.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I've had the red light of death several times. But usually after about a 1/2 hour charging on the cradel charger it goes to orange and it's good. Also I still get my FULL charge out of my Lion's 3300 battery all the way down to 5%and lower.
    I would think it the batteries deal if it dies at 30%?!?!??!
    Verizon xv6600