+ Reply to Thread

new to this board and ppc 6600

Hello guys! I just bought my fiance a ppc 6600 and I learned alot from this site thus far reading up on things. one of the things that's not clear to me even when I read is this.

right now her phone seems to sometimes just not come on and I will have to do a reset for 2-3 secs and then it's back. I was thinking maybe the firmware needs to be upgraded, her firmware states are

rom verions 1.36.00 WWE
    rome date 1/13/05
    radio version HA00_140
    protocal version AA3.3.301
    PRL version 10028
    extrom version 1.36.113 WWE
    Hadware version 0041

I was thinking that a firmware upgrade may fix this problem, but I read so many with issues on this upgrade and I couldn't find anyone w/ this issue so I wasn't sure if it would make a difference. If the upgrade doesn't work can you take the phone back to the factory setting? I have a treo 650 and I can w/ that.

Yeah you have a fairly outdate firmware stack there. I have no idea if that's what is causing the issues or not, but upgrading couldn't hurt...

I'd suggest backing up the device (x-backup or so) and then checking out the newest verizon upgrade.

verizonwireless.com/bbadeviceupdate

is the link.

At very least- when you upgrade it will start off everything fresh again.

Small Disclaimer: I did the update and bricked my phone... but it sounds like most people have been somewhat successful with it.
    Good luck!

if the update fails to install and hangs on a screen saying usb, your phone is not a brick. this has happened a few times to me doing updates. reconnect the phone and try it again. if you still have problem after updating, i'd look into a new battery. my phone started acting screwy after having it 2 years.i bought a 2 new extended batteries from lion and my phone is back to running well.

verizonwireless.com/bbadeviceupdate is this not just for verizon? I bought my fiance a sprint ppc 6600. is there one for the sprint? or should I wait until I active the phone for her on Vday and use the x2 to have the phone update.

do not use the verizon update if you are on sprint. check sprint or ut starcom for updates specific to your phone and carriier.

Yep- definitely do not use the vzw one if you're on sprint- sorry I missed that!

Fully Converged
    The sprint PPC can be upgraded with the Verizon 2.07 CE ROM, the Telus 2.04 CE ROM, or the NZ Telecom 2.03 CE ROM. Just keep the sprint extended ROM and radio ROM. Look into the upgrade procedure for the 2.03 ROM upgrade for more information. It is the same regardless of which ROM you use, you just have to make sure you swap out the proper files in the upgrader. I've had 1.35, 1.36, 2.03, 2.04, and now 2.07 on my XV6600, and not all were Verizon CE ROMs.
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone