+ Reply to Thread

Angry Verizon firmware update killed my ring tones

I applied the firmware update at the end of January--no waiting until the last minute for me, no sir! It's taken me all this time to realize that my ring tones no longer work, since applying the update; I mostly use the device for e-mail and quick web browsing on the go, and not much as a phone so I hadn't even been aware of the problem.

My phone no longer will play ANY ring tone other than "Windows Default"--even the optional tones that come pre-installed on the device. If I attempt to switch to one of these tones, then tap "ok", I get the "throbber" in the middle of the screen spinning for a moment, and then the ring tone reverts back to "Windows Default". My other tones are on the device too, and are playable if I tap them from File Explorer--but the device will not allow me to change the tone to one of those, either.

This is a wacky problem. Anybody else run across this? This may be my cue to just finally upgrade to a new phone; I had been hoping that Verizon would have the 6800 out by now--since that seems to still be vaporware, maybe I'll go for the Treo 700WX.

Yeah mine too. Definitely need a fix. I think someone said the problem had to do with using sprite backup with the rom upgrade option, then restoring that info to the newly rommed phone. Anyone??

So does this mean that I have to hard reset the phone, and then reinstall the apps by hand? That's a real PITA..but if it'll solve the problem, I suppose I can just set aside an afternoon to do so.

I've also noticed another post-firmware-update problem that I've seen mentioned here and there on these forums: That stupid notification bubble will not go away now--no way to dismiss the notifications and see the "EV" or "1X" icons.

If somebody can advise me as to whether these problems are fixable, or if my phone is semi-bricked, I'd appreciate it. If it is semi-bricked, maybe I can get Verizon to give me a better deal on a Treo or something, since I don't think they have 6600s available anymore.

They had 6600s as of last December when I had upgrade issues, so if the phone needs replacement, you might be able to get the same model.

I found out the hard way that you have to restore third-party software manually after performing the upgrade. Restoring from a pre-upgrade backup creates problems.

I had the same problem... I backed up with AS before I did the upgrade then restored after the upgrade. When I realized my ring tones weren't working I redid the ROM upgrade without restoring the backup and everything works fine. Restoring the backup restores the old extended ROM. I believe this is where some of the WM files are stored, so you are overwriting some of the new WM10 files with WM9 files.

I haven't used it, but I read with Sprite you can backup/restore specific items so you don't overwrite critical files after a ROM upgrade...

-J

Hmm..I did use Sprite, just to avoid the hassle of re-installing all my apps by hand. Obviously, that was just being too clever by half..heaven forbid Verizon would allow you to update your firmware and then just re-install your apps "automagically". Nope, they have to make you do it the hard way. Grrr...

So just so I understand this: The correct way to go here is to do a hard reset (which will reset me to the original firmware?), then apply the update, and then re-install my apps by hand? It's too much trouble for me to figure out how to use Sprite to do a selective backup--unless someone can clue me in on that, I'll just do it the hard way, I guess.

Now I'm really thinking of just getting the Treo 700WX...

can you still add your own ringtones with activesynce

DMZ
    Dere's a Little of Me In all A Yiz DMZ's Avatar
    Unfortunately, you have to backup the Rings and Pictures folders separately to your PC before running the upgrade.