+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

PPC6600 Takes a Swim!

I fell in the pool on Saturday (funny story) and had my aging 6600 in my pocket. I quickly got out an took the battery out and tried to dry it off as much as possible. For the last two days, I've tried numerous times to get it to work to no avail. Well, I just popped the battery in and it worked! The display is kind of funky looking still, and the backup battery is completely dead, but with fingers crossed I'm trying to get it going again.
    Mike - Been Converged?

nice to have a durable phone eh? I answered mine in the shower once.....drunk.....and it only took a couple hours sitting on my computer's top exhaust fan before it was ok.
    Sprint Mogul (PPC-6800) - dcd 3.0.1 ..... 3.35.04 ..... OliPro 2.40 ..... 60610 PRL
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.07.00 WWE ..... HA00_166 (spare phone laying around)
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.04.00 WWE ..... HA00_140 ..... 1.36.113 WWE (used for GPS only)

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    My problem now is it looks like the backup battery isn't working any longer, and the display is really odd looking... blotches... but at least its working at all. I was trying to hold out for a new model on insurance replacement, but I might not be able to wait.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Administrator
    mikey, putting the battery back in too soon could have caused more damage than if you left the battery out and let the phone dry for about a week. yeah i know thats an eternity to us converged folks but that would have given plenty of time for the phone to dry out. the chlorine and other contaminents in the pool probably cause some havoc once the battery was back in and the phones circuitry energized...

once again, my old 660x is still in the drawer.........

I figured out late last week that cup of coffee has the same affect!

Phone could not be revived, so I paid the insurance replacement cost and received a new phone. My only concern at this point is how I erase the data on my dead phone before I have it returned? I have heard rumors of "reconditioned" telephones being redistributed without erasing the previous owners data. . .

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Liberal application of a ball-peen hammer comes to mind...

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I figured out late last week that cup of coffee has the same affect!

Phone could not be revived, so I paid the insurance replacement cost and received a new phone. My only concern at this point is how I erase the data on my dead phone before I have it returned? I have heard rumors of "reconditioned" telephones being redistributed without erasing the previous owners data. . .
    Yeah I got a loaner 6700 which appeared to be whiped clean... but when I loaded up gmail... well it wasn't my email account.... Don't worry Victor, I just signed you out... who ever you are lol
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

That is EXACTLY what I am afraid of! Please tell me that everything else was deleted? I finally had to bite the big one and send it in before they charged me for a new one. As much as I wanted. . . I did not take the suggestion of the ball-peen hammer. I feel now that I may regret that!