+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Who's still hanging with the 6600?

I still have my 6600 and still haven't seen a better device come along (for my purposes anyway).

My Verizon new-every-two came along, and I used it to get an LG Chocolate for the express purpose of eBaying it, as that was the max-profit device to resell at the time.

If the 6800 ever comes out for Verizon, I might switch to that, but I'm really not sure.

I love the big screen on the 6600. I also like the bottom-sliding keyboard. I've now dropped the thing about two dozen times, and it still works fine.

The 6600 could die any minute, but for now I'm still quite happy with it.

I'm very glad I didn't switch to the 6700.

Who else still feels the same way?

Still using the 6600?

Administrator

Forever Confused
    Last post was about six monthes ago in that thread. I'm still with my 6600. I got a 6700 as a replacement once. But it just didn't work out that good. So I ebay'd it and got another 6600. But with more and more soft resets needed, and a few hards that have come at crappy times. I my have to move on. I just don't know which way to go yet.

I'm still on the 6600. I find the 6700 quite ugly, but I would LOVE a little EVDO, which Bell refuses release on the 6600. I'm trying to hold out for the 6800 this year. That way, I'll just be 3 years out of date when compared to Europe

i love mine, the only reason that i am concidering upgrading is for wifi and the better camera. i use the camera all the time for various purposes and would love a little better quality when i upload. But i havn't decided yet, like you said i have dropped/thrown/kicked etc mine many times over the 1 1/2 years i've owned it and its still plugging right along. It doesn't last an entire day without cutting off anymore but i'm sure it's the battery i'm just to lazy to order one. I'm thinking since it's cutting off sooner and sooner now(at 50% battery now) i'm going to try to upgrade soon, but i hate to see her go.

When is the 6800 coming out? My Verizon "new every two" will run from November-January. If the 6800 is out by then, I'll check out the specs. I think I'd prefer that one to the 6700.

For now, though, I *love* the 6600. I got it in January 2006 and it's been the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm still hanging in there, had mine for about 2 years now. If it had EVDO I wouldn't have much reason for considering the 6800.

The lure of EVDO and WM6 (mainly for HTML e-mails) is somewhat tempting. But for now, I guess I"ll keep chugging along with the old 6600 till a gotta have it right now right now right now PDA phone comes out.

I'm sitting in my family room as I post this on my 6600. Until I can get another device with a 3.5" Screen or larger I will stay with this.
    The only reason I reboot (soft) is becuse Wirelesssync looses its contact. I haven,t hard booted in over a year.

I would like a newer O.S., EVDO rev. A, and 2G of memory, but I will wait until it comes on a screen I can see.

Have you seen the o2 Xda flame? It looks real nice but it will never be in the US. let alone on Verizon

My fear is that nothing will ever come.
    Last edited by RoyWall; 05-26-2007 at 12:15 AM.

I will always love my XV6600. However, I will love to be the first to adopt the XV6800 when it comes out. My hope after that is that I can retire my XV6600 to be my iPod-killer (which will never happen, but one can hope).
    Verizon XV6600

We Verizon users do have EVDO on the 6600 of course. Sprint users got hosed in that regard.

One thing I do with the xv6600 is watch cable TV while riding in my car, via ORB streaming from my home cable TV. That would be a lot less worthwhile with the smaller screens that other devices have. The big screen of the 6600 is a major factor for me. I do not want to give that up.

... I mean of course that my passengers watch cable TV in my car. I just listen while I'm driving.
    Last edited by SeaRaven; 05-26-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRaven View Post
    We Verizon users do have EVDO on the 6600 of course. Sprint users got hosed in that regard.

One thing I do with the xv6600 is watch cable TV while riding in my car, via ORB streaming from my home cable TV. That would be a lot less worthwhile with the smaller screens that other devices have. The big screen of the 6600 is a major factor for me. I do not want to give that up.

... I mean of course that my passengers watch cable TV in my car. I just listen while I'm driving.
    How much video streaming can you do without going over the 5GB "Verizon will invite you to become a former subscriber" limit? That's my biggest concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabey8 View Post
    How much video streaming can you do without going over the 5GB "Verizon will invite you to become a former subscriber" limit? That's my biggest concern.
    It depends how fast you set the stream at and how much you use it. I don't stream TV very often. For streaming in the car, what I like most is listening to BBC radio and on-demand NPR programs. Those are usually at no more than a 64k stream. I think I enjoy the novelty of being able to watch TV on the 6600 more than actually doing it. I never come anywhere near 5GB a month, but if I had the TV signal streaming at 300k all the time, I suspect there would be a problem. ... Too lazy to run the math on that right now.

On a more practical note, the big screen of the 6600 makes it a great GPS nav device for driving. I've tried it with a Treo, and the Treo's smaller screen renders the GPS visual info almost useless while driving (and potentially dangerous if you take your eyes off the road to strain to see the screen). You still get the audio instructions, but it's not the same. The 6600 screen is big enough that I can safely make out the GPS nav map with a glance and even read the names of the upcoming turns, etc.
    Last edited by SeaRaven; 05-27-2007 at 11:04 AM.

sea raven,

off topic: could you message me how you stream cable tv? i'm really interested in that. i do xmradio and have movies downloaded, but streaming regis and kelly in the morning riding the metro would be a HUGE chick magnet.

on topic: i agree with the above. i love the big screen and the internal antenna. i need the big screen for movies and gps.

To stay off-topic for just one more post: I have a TV card in my home computer. Then I use Orb to stream the TV signal over the Net. If you search this site for Orb, you'll find lots of info on how to do it. Very easy actually. Can watch it on any computer with a decent bandwidth, including the xv6600, with its nice big screen.

(BTW, Regis and Kelly are so 2002. It's The View, man. That's how to impress chicks. So I hear.)

Forever Confused
    Off/On topic. I had the 6700 for a few monthes, and it didn't stream as well as the 6600. It was always stopping to buffer every 10 to 15 seconds or so. Once it ebayed it and got a 6600 again I was happy as a clam. Now I only have to worry when my kids is gaming online. He has a habit of sucking all the u/l outa the network. The "ONLY" advantage the 6700 had over the 6600 was that you could use BT for VC. That is when the BT wasn't turning itself off for no reason whatsoever.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I'm Still using a xv6600 for work ... at least till I find a couple I730's w/wm2003 to trade for my wm5 units ...
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

Pry it from my cold dead hands.

tv? you guys are much too cool for school. I unsubscribed my dataplan i never tried that, . . . .
    I am a diehard 6600 after switching from the ?Kyo7315? (actually it was stolen, or i would still have it. Palm0s was great). I thought that phone made everyone jealous, but the 6600 melts brains. Verizon's choices are pathetic. The store clerk wanted to charge me over 130$ for "the replacement candybar phone." huh. These things are not even phones when compared to a pocket pc...

Long story short, even without the dataplan i wouldn't trade 6600 for any other phone right now, and i couldn't list all the reasons.

peace
    .the sky is falling.

streaming cable tv. SWEEEET!

I'm still using it. I just got a large battery for it on Amazon and I never run out of power. BTW, there are two screws inside on the back that come loose and should be reseated to make sure the battery is in solidly (long-term problem with the 6600). I do not miss the fast coinnection as I can get e-mail OK. GPS is superior on the 6600 and also you can use 4GB standard SD cards. I am with this one until something better comes uot (unlikely soon).
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz