+ Reply to Thread

What is "Flashing" Your Phone?

I am told I need to "Flash" my phone. What is that and how is it done?

Administrator
    who told you this? flashing your phone means updating your ROM to a newer ROM or updating the firmware. if you dont know what this is you probably should not attempt to do this. you can certainly render your phone useless if not done properly.

I went to the Verizon store to see why my phone was so slow on the Internet. The store was totally filled with people and the staff was overwhelmed. The tech there told me I just needed to flash my phone and told me to go to verizonwireless.com/DATA and "follow the instructions there". If that means just updating the firmware, I should be able to do it, if the instructions there are clear. I will proceed carefully, though. Thanks for the advice!!

Administrator
    remember that this will clear ALL memory on your phone. so you lose all contacts, calendar, tasks, eveyrthing you have installed on the phone will be lost.

i also think that was a lame reply from the tech. you probably could have rectified the situation by clearing out memory, etc.. just some less destructive options over flashing....

Everything on my phone is backed up, but now I'm wondering what other options I should be considering to speed up my PPC Internet connection. Sounds like flashing should be a last ditch effort!

Administrator
    i think it is a last resort. i had (and still have although its in the drawer) the sprint version of the 66 and i NEVER had to reflash my phone due to some issue with it being slow. and i purchased this phone on day one of launch and had it up until the 67 was launched...

there are some housekeeping things you can do, such as clear out your PIE cache and cookies, delete read and sent email in your accounts, clear out old text messages, move any photos/footage to your SD card, clean your registry, eliminate items in your startup processes... just think of this phone as a desktop computer... bascially the same environment. you could also have some old programs that you uninstalled that could be lingering around... these are some things you can do first before you resort to a reflash.

and even though you have backups, if you have any hacks installed they will not be backed up. further, if you have some issues with old files/programs causing your device to be slow, once you reflash and reinstall you will only reinstall those same files and programs BACK on the phone, causing you to waste your time and never rectify the situation.

if you DO end up reflashing the phone, i would strongly suggest you do a MANUAL install of your programs instead of backing them up. you can certainly backup your PIM information (names, contacts, calendar, todo items) however...