+ Reply to Thread

Phone reset, battery won't charge

Up until today, my PPC6600's battery was working acceptably for one that's a few years old. Held its charge for at least 3 or 4 days.

Today, after leaving it on my desk for a while, I picked it up to find it had powered down. I figured the battery had run down and so I dropped it in the cradle. It powered up, but only to tell me it was time to set up the phone. It had reset. Oh well, not the end of the world. However, even after being in the cradle for an hour, and after reseating the battery as well, it's not charging at all. 0%.

The backup battery is still 100%, by the way.

Any ideas what's amiss?

Weird. Now it's started charging... hours later. Another mystery.

Still dunno why the hard reset happened.

On occation (like last night) when my XV6600 unit goes below approx. 35-40% battery left, it does a reset. I put it on the charger for while to get the battery up a little and it is then fine. I don't loose anything but has been annoying when talking on the phone.
    Last edited by tsteuver; 11-06-2007 at 08:01 AM.
    Audiovox XV6600 on Verizon

Yeah, mine did a hard reset. I've seen it do soft resets on low battery before, but not this.

Pretty annoying. I was tempted to get a new phone, in case this one is now flawed somehow. Maybe the Touch or something. But, you know, I love this phone, and other than EVDO, the other new phones just don't have anything I need. Plus, I gather when you use EVDO as a modem without a modem plan, they notice, whereas they've never noticed me using this thing as a modem. I used it as a constant-on internet connection for three weeks last year when my DSL was out and never heard a peep about it. It's not huge bandwidth, but it's not terrible.

with heavy use i find the batteries to last about 1 year. i bought my phone new with a spare battery. they lasted about one year until it started to drain like you describe. i then bought 2 extended batteries from lion which are now starting to show their age after a little longer than 1 year. i may need to order new ones if vzw doesn't release the 6800 soon.

Forever Confused
    I just got 2 lion batteries (2000mah) yesterday. Charged em both for 20+ hours. Right now I'm trying to drain both down for a recharge. I had the first one down to about 20% before I put the second on. No resets, and it tooks about 2 hours of video streamed over wifi & cell to get that low. 1 or 2 recharges to get the life up to snuff. But it seems to have done the trick on the soft and hard resets. It would have shut down at about 50 to 60% on my good battery. And around 80% if I could even get it to boot on my bad one.

BTW I'm thinking about skipping the 6800. I didn't like the 6700 and sold it after about 6 months. I don't see the 6800 being that much better.

i'm now considering the touch since i never use my 6600 keyboard and i think the extra memory is worth more than a keyboard or wifi. i've been tempted to buy the 2000mah batteries myself but i'd rather put the cash to a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    i'm now considering the touch since i never use my 6600 keyboard and i think the extra memory is worth more than a keyboard or wifi.
    Isn't it 128mb, just like the 6600?

i think the rom on the 6600 is 128mb and tthe ram is 64. thats what it looks like on my phone now without looking it up to confirm. the touch has 256mb rom and 128mb ram from what i have read.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    i think the rom on the 6600 is 128mb and tthe ram is 64. thats what it looks like on my phone now without looking it up to confirm. the touch has 256mb rom and 128mb ram from what i have read.
    My 6600 definitely has 128MB of RAM and I'm pretty sure it has 64MB of flash ROM. I think you may have the 64/128 numbers reversed.

i was using the memory allocation screen i see from ky phone. i think i was judging by the way it's splitting my memory. it's allocating 84 mb to storage and only about 42mb to running programs. i guess the numbers are just from the way my phone is set up. i figured all the memory my phone has set aside as storage was from the rom not the ram.