Closed Thread

How low should I let my battery get?

I finally got a second battery, so I don't have to be as careful anymore about keeping my battery fully charged.

The question, however, is how low should I let my battery get before changing to the other one?

Before I got the second battery, I had some incidents where the charge got below 30%, and that apparently causes a change to one of the power settings, where it keeps the display off unless connected to direct power. The really annoying part of that is that it doesn't change it back after the battery is charged. I have had to change the setting back manually.

I would be comfortable letting the charge get below 30%, but not if it causes that power flag change. Is there any indication of what percentage charge will cause that setting change?

Could I BE any more converged tonydiv's Avatar
    If you're not concerned about longetivity of the battery, let it go as low as you want. If you want the battery to live to a ripe old age, charge as frequently as you can and don't let it go below 50%.

I'm not aware of any "adaptive power settings" on the 6700. Mine behaves the same no matter where the battery indicator is.

Curious. I've always heard it's best to drain a battery as much as possible. Perhaps that refers to getting the best efficiency out of each charge. You're saying that the tradeoff of that is that it decreases the overall lifetime of the battery?

From previous threads about this, see search, the story for li-ion and li-po battereies seems to be to let them drain completely for 3-5 cycles when they are new and then just top them off daily. This gives longest lifespan and longest battery-use time. Works for me. YMMV.
    Stephen

Administrator
    stephen is correct. this has been discussed on the site so please search to get more info.