+ Reply to Thread

XV6700 vs. Mogul (PPC6800) - My thoughts

Both these phones are old news, so by this time I know there are a ton of comparison threads, but I just wanted to write my own mini-review based on my experiences with both units. I had an XV6700 with Verizon for about two years, and switched over to Sprint about a month ago. I was completely happy with the 6700's capabilities and VZ, but the mini-USB port died on my 6700 and the Sprint SERO plan was impossible to resist.

Basically the 6800 seems to take multiple steps forward from the 6700 but a couple of steps back.

Things I like better about the 6800:

-More internal storage memory.
    -No antenna is nice, and the unit is noticeably thinner and lighter.
    -I like the tighter fit of the stylus within the phone (I lost tons of styluses with the 6700) and perhaps most improved, the memory card seems much more secure (I lost tons of these also until I finally resorted to Scotch Tape).
    -The spring-assisted slide is also nice, and the keyboard buttons are a bit smaller but still quite easy to use. The backlight on the keyboard is a LOT brighter, and allows you to see the alternate functions of each key.
    -The additional hard buttons (two on the face, one on the side) allow for better customization, and the scroll wheel is better than the slide.
    -The D-pad is an improvement over the 6700 joystick. Like most, my rubber thing wore down and fell out, and from that point it was never that enjoyable to use. I don't think this one will get stuck in the down position, either.
    -802.11g is nice, but having a built-in GPS is even better. It's a joy to be able to fire up Google Maps or Windows Live Search and have a satellite fix within seconds. Works indoors, too! Even better than the unit I use in my car.
    -The camera seems improved, though I haven't used it much. The much-hated shutter lag seems to be gone.
    -SPEAKER VOLUME! I no longer have problems hearing people in everyday conversations. This was the #1 thing I hated about the 6700 - that it was practically useless when trying to use in a busy place. I've seen some complaint threads about the 6800 volume, but for me it's just fine.

Things I DON'T like better about the 6800:

-It's slower. There is a noticeable speed difference when running some games (for example NES/SNES emulation). Also, the CPU still doesn't seem to be overclockable, so the excellent XCPUScalar program that did wonders for the 6700 won't work on the 6800. I notice a slowdown when I'm typing a text message, as the phone searches through the dictionary for auto-complete words. There is even a slight delay when it comes to tapping in a phone number when placing a call! This was never an issue on the 6700.
    -Incompatibility with a lot of applications. I believe this is mostly due to the different CPU design (Intel vs. Qualcomm, I think?) but it could be a WM6 thing as well. Anyway, a lot of my favorite applications from the 6700 (WM5torage, XCPUScalar, Alex Feinman's Dictionary Editor, the Emulamer KBFix for simultaneous keypresses, some games) won't work anymore, and that is disappointing.
    -The voice recognition for the stock Voice Speed Dial is pretty bad. My 6700 never had a problem recognizing any of my voice tags, even in a noisy place. With the 6800 I need to place the phone right up close to my mouth, and even then there's only about a 60% chance it'll recognize the voice tag.

Both my phones are/were running the latest stock ROMs from Sprint and Verizon. I know some of my gripes may be addressed by some of the kitchen ROMs, but I'm reasonably happy with the way things are.

Anyway those are my initial thoughts. I'm sure there will be more things I come to dislike about the 6800, especially as it ages. But overall I am quite happy to have switched, although I still love the 6700.
    Last edited by sl8763; 05-28-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Pocket Hack Master v4.33 is supposed to be able to OC the CPU.

Look here and you will find the HTC Mogul and xv6800 as well as the PPC6800.
    Currently using a rooted Droid X

Thanks for this. I have a Sprint 6700 and have been tempted to take the offer for the 6800. I have had zero problems with the 6700 though. I think that I'm gonna hold tight.
    Peace,
    Chris
    To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as being right in doing it. -G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
    Pocket Hack Master v4.33 is supposed to be able to OC the CPU.

Look here and you will find the HTC Mogul and xv6800 as well as the PPC6800.
    Thanks a lot, but unfortunately PHM still doesn't work. I went right to the Omega One site and downloaded the trial, and right away I get the message that the CPU isn't supported

Quote Originally Posted by csgreeley View Post
    Thanks for this. I have a Sprint 6700 and have been tempted to take the offer for the 6800. I have had zero problems with the 6700 though. I think that I'm gonna hold tight.
    Peace,
    Chris
    I completely agree. In your situation I would definitely hold out for the 6800 replacement. Not sure what it's called, the HTC Diamond or the Raphael I think? In any case it will have more RAM than the 6800, which is the major complaint about the device. I would have held out as well but I wanted to jump ship from VZ to Sprint right away in order to get the SERO savings!

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    Thanks a lot, but unfortunately PHM still doesn't work. I went right to the Omega One site and downloaded the trial, and right away I get the message that the CPU isn't supported

Well that suck big balls, i still have the 67 so i nver have been able to try it personally, guess you could get them for false advertisement

Hmmm - has anyone had any experience with this program from Handango? It's different from the one listed above (this is from Anton).

Pocket Hack Master : Verizon XV6800 : Handango

I'm tempted but don't want to have to reload everything if this screws up my device...

The only difference is it is a much older version of the same app listed above, version 4.33 of PHM is the latest version, nice try though.