+ Reply to Thread
    Fully Converged

cell tower triangulation to gps coordinates

if i am lost on the road, but i manage to get a cell signal (and therefore internet), is there software to get me an approximate GPS coordinate?

or a WIFI version, but much less useful usually...

Fully Converged
    also this site (registration reqd) provides a list of all sprint towers along with lat/long for each. you can dump out the list into an excel spreadsheet and carry it on your 6700.

http://www.sprintsites.com/login/log...TOKEN=65548585

i understand there that a cell phone can be made to report "cell ID" of the closet tower? perhaps there is software that can display this ID.

Banned

Re: cell tower triangulation to gps coordinates

First off, a voice signal does not equate to a data ("internet") signal.

Secondly, this is one of the most redundantly dead-end topics discussed on thie site. Use the *Search* to find the hundreds of reasons why you're spinning your wheels going nowhere by pursuing this.

Originally posted by ppcnewbie
    if i am lost on the road, but i manage to get a cell signal (and therefore internet), is there software to get me an approximate GPS coordinate?

or a WIFI version, but much less useful usually...

Could I BE any more converged tonydiv's Avatar
    Spint is SLOWLY rolling out location based services for large corporate customers. (like trucking companies) They are charging an arm and a leg for it. They have mentioned that eventually it will make its way to all handsets. The hardware is basically already in place, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this service though. Keep in mind that 90% of the calculations are done on the Sprint side of the network, almost nothing happens on the handset end of things.

As for a way to accomplish this on your own with some software and a couple of hacks - ain't gonna happen.

Fully Converged
    ok, thanks.... i had thought vision always worked on PCS towers at least...but doesnt look like it matters much...