+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry cant get rid of notification

Hi, i have this persistent notification that there is voice mail. But i dont have any. I have soft reseted w/o success..

what to do?

Well I used to have an old samsung flip phone (Sprint) and it had the same problem. I couldn't dismiss the voice mail icon even though I had no voicemail. After a while (sometimes a few days) it cleared itself. It must be a problem with Sprint?

This is a fairly common problem with CDMA phones. Most phones have a "clear VM" option to resolve it, but the Pocket PCs don't. In order to clear it you need to call your own number from another phone, leave yourself a message, and then listen to it (and delete or save it). Optionally, wait until someone else leaves you a VM. At the moment that's the only way to clear it out.

Dan

i have the same problem all of the time. if i do have vm and it is really short and i erase it and end the call all within a minute, the notification persists. if i stay on voicemail a bit longer, the notification automatically terminates. dunno if this helps at all.

A sprint person told me to press * twice to end the phone call and it usually fixes it. I use it all the time and haven't seen it in over two years, probably just a coincidence though.

im getting the same vm glitch, have you fixed yours yet? mines been on for a week now......
    PPC - 6700
    HP5455

A few weeks ago when somebody started this thread, I posted what I always do when this happens. I call in, leave myself a message, check my voice mail, delete the message, wait for sprint to send me the "no more messages" message, and then I hang up. I think it happens when you hang up before receiving the message from them. Just wait for the girl to tell you that you don't have any more messages and it should clear itself. (You do have to have a message first, though)

I got this glitch on my treo 650 and on this phone...just wait for someone else to leave you a msg or leave yourself one and delete it

Voicemail Registry Edit

Is it possible to create a registry edit to tell it to NOT create a notification when it has a new VM? I have a message that says "do not leave me messages" on my voicemail but people disregard that.

I also have my voicemail account set up to NOT notify me, but it still does so...so my hope is there's a way to simply disable the notification process on my phone instead.

Any ideas?

I need a soft reset button too. Rally1's Avatar
    There is a section under phone setting for notifications. Im not sure if it turns off the "envelope" icon, or just the pop ups.

Re: Voicemail Registry Edit

Originally posted by Elmarkitse
    Is it possible to create a registry edit to tell it to NOT create a notification when it has a new VM? I have a message that says "do not leave me messages" on my voicemail but people disregard that.

I also have my voicemail account set up to NOT notify me, but it still does so...so my hope is there's a way to simply disable the notification process on my phone instead.

Any ideas?
    There might be a couple solutions:
    1st: GOTO- Start>Settings>Sounds and Notifications> Notifications Tab> Change/Disable each setting individually from the pulldown menu

Your 2nd option if that fails is to look in the Registry- HKCU>System>State>Messages>vmail - set all keys to zero value (removes messages once) or delete the keys (should disable notifications)

Please backup your reg keys before tinkering with the registry.

voicemail edit

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that in the next day or two. I just had to fully reboot after I managed to get stuck with a 5 digit password, so I'm starting fresh with a bunch of things after the hard reset.

THanks for the location in the registry...I will try that soon.

Voicemail Notification Won't Go Away

Okay....so my phone has a voicemail. I check it and delete all my messages but the notification on the bottom of the screen is there. I hit dismiss it's still there...on other phones i have had you can clear the notification icon. How the hell do i clear this damn thing. It's freaking annoying. I have deleted all my messages and did a soft reset too.

I need a soft reset button too. Rally1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evil0ne
    A sprint person told me to press * twice to end the phone call and it usually fixes it. I use it all the time and haven't seen it in over two years, probably just a coincidence though.
    same thing here - I used to get a stuck notification all the time and then they told me make sure you are using star to hang up from voicemail. I haven't seen it since.... this was like 6 years ago
    d6l9p
    Peace Within

Question VM icon won't go away & it's giving wrong # of voicemails...

OK, I started having the same problem tonight (funny, tonight, I started using the password option on my phone... hmmm... I wonder if the problems are connected.... hmmm... may have to remove password to test.)

Anyway, I had a voicemail... the vm icon stayed on after I finished listening to voicemail. A soft reset removed it.

So, I did a test. I left another voicemail, and got the icon. When I left voicemail, the vm icon was still there.

As suggested, I called voicemail again and left a voicemail. I called back in and listened to the voicemail. I then deleted the voicemail. When I heard the "no more messages" message I slowly hit * twice, and that basically ended the call.

Needless to say, the voicemail icon is still there. Help!

But to make matters worse...

I left a couple more voicemail messsages. And waited. And the VM icon still says it only has one message. But there are definitely more than one there.

Something's wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

One important note to add (and you'll see why in a moment)... When I called in for my voicemail, I did it from my home phone (my 6700 was on at the time... I just ignored the call coming in.) OK, now to get on with this post...

Well, I've been on the phone with a Sprint rep to figure this problem out. Unfortunately, he didn't know the phones, although he did confirm I did have no new messages, even if the VM icon differed with me on that.

So, while on the phone with him, I tried some soft resets. No go.

I took a guess and tried something different... I called into voicemail from my 6700. When I was done with voicemail, the VM icon disappeared!

There must be something buggy about something then.

But, that's not the whole story. I'm still concerned about the _number_ of voicemails I'm supposed to have...

So, now that I could get rid of the VM icon, I decided to test again. This time, I left one voicemail. Up came the VM icon and "you have 1 voicemail message". Before I did anything else, I called in 3 more times and left 3 more voicemail messages.

The number-of-missed-calls-indicator told me I missed 4 calls. That's correct... but the number of voicemails listed was... one. Wrong!

Once again, I figured I'd trying calling into VM from my home phone. Again, I heard and deleted 4 messages... and did * twice to end the call. And the voicemail icon is still indicating one new message.

Called in again and left a voicemail... so, my VM icon was still up before I made that call and left the voicemail.

At this point, I called in _from my 6700_, got the voicemail, and the icon disappeared.

What's happening here?

Thanks!

Steve
    Last edited by kalel; 02-06-2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added additional info.

Everything you've described is completely normal (for the PPC6700 on Sprint, anyway).

1. Sprint only sends notification of new VM after your FIRST new message. When further VMs are left, no notification of such is sent to your phone. That's why the 6700 always states that there is one new message, even if there are more than that. All Sprint phones work that way and there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately. I was really disappointed with this when I first switched over from Nextel two years ago (Nextel phones always showed the number of VM messages), but I've learned to live with it because there's really no other choice.

2. The instructions telling your phone to clear the new VM icon are sent during your call to voicemail. When you call and check your messages from another phone (be it another cell phone or a landline) the instructions aren't able to get to your phone. As I said in an earlier post, with other Sprint phones you have a menu option to manually clear the icon, but with the PPCs there's only the "call and leave yourself a message" method.

So the moral is to check your messages from the phone itself, end the call with **, and your VM icon worries should disappear.

luv2chill, thanks! You're right, only getting one voicemail notification when there are several waiting is normal. I spoke with a different Sprint tech later last night (after my post, but was too tired to send the update into the forum until now) who actually said the same thing and that they've gotten lots of complaints about it.

But, for the other item, the non-disappearing VM icon, she said that didn't sound normal and she opened a ticket that was going to go through to the Sprint Networking group, and that I should hear back from them in about a day and a half.

I'll see what they say and pass onto them the observations that others may not lose the VM icon unless they call into their VM from their cell, not a landline. (i.e, that the cell has to be actively connected to VM and messages accessed for the "notify of no new messages" message to be sent to the phone so that the VM icon disappears.)

Thanks!

Steve

I have searched but haven't found an answer: is there a way to disable the voicemail notification popup at the bottom of the screen, but NOT disable the envelope icon in the top bar? In the "notifications" setting section, I have everything related to voicemails unchecked and I'm still getting the popup, which drives me crazy.