+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up CDMA USB Modem Driver for Windows Vista

It took me most of the day to figure out why such a simple virtual driver wouldn't work under Windows Vista, but I finally figured out what the issue was apaprently the VZW guys didn't code the INF file correctly. I fixed the issue and tethering now works under Windows Vista for the CDMA USB Modem phones. You can find my original post at Howard Forums with the download of the INF file.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1027918

By the way sorry if this issue has already been brought up and corrected. I honestly couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nberardi; 10-25-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Nice work. Do you know if we Sprint people will need this as well?
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Sickwidit
    I don't think we do, I've been using my Sprint 6700 as a usb modem in Vista for some time now. I used the original 6600 drivers and it's been working great.
    Last edited by that_kid; 10-25-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

This isn't actually a vendor specific driver I have come to find out. Apparently it seems to be a driver for the wmodem application, so it should work on any CDMA PDA device with wmodem.

I have noticed that everything works fine if you just do a standard upgrade. Did you happen to do that?

Thanks for posting this. These drivers work on Vista Ultimate (final). For users wondering how to set this up, just connect your PPC, use the INF file here as your drivers when prompted, then create a new dial-up networking account, with only #777 as the number to dial, and no username/password. Works very well, and using it right now!

Tried the inf and the install failed

I downloaded and unzipped. Right clicked, selected install, and got a message that the install method isn't supported. Vista RTM.

Turn on WModem
    Select USB
    Plug in to computer
    And when it asks for the driver install
    Point it to the INI file.

I did all that including pointing it to the set up INI file. But Vista says it can't find the driver. I don't think this CDMA driver works for Sprint phone. Mine used to work just fine in XP environment.

I can't seem to make it work in Vista.
    Last edited by dgwak; 01-26-2007 at 07:59 PM.

BTW, my Vista is 64bit. Maybe that has something to do with it.

no cuz I got it working on my Vista Ultimate x64 install.

I downloaded this one when I did a fresh install of Vista on my laptop. It works GREAT!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=288753
    PPC-6700
    ROM Version:2.06.00 WWE

infact the inf file just tells windows how to install the the generic modem driver that comes with all windows by identifying the vendor and hardware id. The inf file itself is just a text file, there is no driver there it just directs windows how to install the generic modem drivers

I downloaded and installed the CDMA USB Modem driver for Vista 64 but when I excute the dialer (both Sprint dialer and CDMA dialer), USB modem section is greyed out. Apparently it doesn't see that there is a USB modem installed. In the modem setting of the Control panel, there is a CDMA USB modem installed.

Any suggestion?

Ive never used the dialer program I just use the native Vista dialup networking. If windows sees a modem then you should be able to use the built-in DUN in windows. Just make sure the usb modem is visible and have it dial #777 with no username/password and boom it works.
    PPC-6700
    ROM Version:2.06.00 WWE

Yes. That's what I ended up doing to make it work. But about every 10 minutes or so it stops receiving data so I have to reconnect and redial. It's a bit annoying. One thing I notice though, I am getting 500kbs plus transfer rate which used to be only 230k in Windows XP. So that's good while it lasts.
    Last edited by dgwak; 01-27-2007 at 08:13 AM.

I just found out it's the phone that freezes (Sprint). I wonder if it is due to the excess speed it has to keep up with. Is there any way I can limit the download speed to around 300kbs, instead of 700kbs that I get sometimes?

I didnt's have this problem in XP because the most I got was around 230kbs.

I just found out it was my phone's outlook email setting that caused my phone to stall after 10 minutes. As soon as I disabled automatic email checking, eveything is fine.

For people who still have issues with modified inf file

Hello All,

I am one of the ones who still have problems even browsing through tons of forums and trying every version of INF file out there. I'm using Vista that came with a Dell 1720

As I tweaked my vista, and read the device install logs, it appears that for whatever reason, my copy of the mdmcpq.inf is different than what everyone else has; hence the actual copying of the file usbser.sys won't work.

I figured out how to fix it. I hope this helps others who're having this problem. No warranty is provided to these steps, use it at your own risk.

1. Make a backup folder in your computer; I made a c:\backup
    2. go to C:\Windows\inf
    3. copy mdmcpq.inf and mdmcpq.pnf to c:\backup. Rollback the files from here if this doesn't work for you.
    4. DELETE mdmcpq.pnf from c:\windows\inf
    5. copy mdmcpq.inf to a temp folder; say c:\temp
    6. inside c:\temp; open mdmcpq.inf using "open with..." context menu, select notepad to edit.
    (you need to do this because windows won't let you directly notepad-edit files in the c:\windows\inf folder)
    7. in the file, look for:

[FakeModemCopyFileSection]
    usbser.sys,,,0x20

and comment out the line with usbser.sys, so it ends up looking like this:

[FakeModemCopyFileSection]
    ;usbser.sys,,,0x20

Save the modified mdmcpq.inf

8. copy the modified mdmcpq.inf back into c:\windows\inf folder. Need admin approvals for this.

9. If you have the original Sprint PCS PPC-6700 INF files, do the same edit to the PPC6700SP by Sprint.INF (or download this from the zip file I'm going to attach to this message); you'll also need to add in the include=mdmcpq.inf sections as mentioned in this forum.

10. Since you've now removed/commented out the installation file copy of usbser.sys; you'll have the perform that yourself.

11. Search for usbser.sys from your windows folder, you should find one. Mine is at C:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\mdmcpq.inf_925c8686 , but yours may be at a different folder.

12. copy this usbser.sys into C:\windows\system32\drivers

13. Now follow the original installation instruction provided in this forum:
    a. open wmodem in your ppc6700, select usb and click start
    b. plug in ppc6700 to pc's usb port
    c. let vista install and screw it up; end up with a generic serial
    d. open device manager; right click on generic serial
    e. try to update driver; then select your "edited" "PPC6700SP by Sprint.INF"
    f. the driver should install ok now (this is the step that always eluded me)
    g. Now go to control panel: network and internet: network and sharing center: (side nav) setup a connection or network; then select new dial up connection; then enter #777 for numberl; leave user and password blank. When you're done, you have your own PPC as modem usb link!

I hope this helps everyone.
    Attached Files

I am assuming this last post is relating to the 32-bit version of Vista? I just tried this solution on Windows Home Premium 64-bit and windows said the edited INF file was not a valid driver.

Is there a 64-bit version of this driver?