+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Not Receiving Text Messages - Verizon

Has anyone had the problem of not receiving a text message?? Frequently I have people telling me they texted me, and I never receive it. I'm never without a signal and I have the newest updates. I'll even be texting someone, having a conversation, and then all of a sudden I won't get a response from them... I ask if they got my last message, and they say yes, they responded... but for some reason i never got it... I also noticed that sometimes my phone will come out of sleep, acting as if I'm getting a text/incoming call... but nothing... Is this a problem with the phone? Or is it a problem with Verizon not delivering my texts???

Back up everything, make sure your upgraded to the latest rom, do a hard reset, test your text messaging then. if it appears to work fine, start installing your normal apps one at a time, testing text messaging in between.

I have been a verizon customer for years, with many many different brands of phones, and have never missed text messages on a 'continuous basis'. Maybe one or two in a year type thing. Not like what your describing.

I was getting this problem as well - some would get through, others not. I was on the old ROM. After hard resetting and performing the upgrade, all is well. If your phone is new and already has the upgrade, I would suggest a backup and hard reset.

ok i've already done 3 hard resets... and yes it had the newest rom already.. and the problem still happens... it happened even after a fresh hard reset... nothing had been installed yet... i did have this problem before with other phones... not the same problem though... with other phones... i had to call someone... or my voicemail... and the messages would come through... it only did this for about a week.. then it worked fine.. its like.. i had to be in a call for anything to come through... its becoming quite frustrating cuz i don't know if im being ignored, or i pissed them off... or im just not getting their texts... lol... starting to get sick of verizon...

could it be because of verizons network? evdo just finally reached my area... so im constantly seeing it go from 1x to ev.. and this is at idle... could it be getting lost inbetween network changes? or what? i don't fully understand verizons network setup..

Ugh, it's been happening with me too again, with no changes to the phone. I am going to call VZW tomorrow and see if there's anything that can be done.

XV-6700 (dying) Sammy i730 (alive) jady's Avatar
    ask the senders how long thier txts are. my wife txts me a lot and her longer ones wont go through. This is not a Vzw or 6700 exclusive problem, we used to have the same problem on Cingular if the to people txting had diff phones.
    First Mobile phones, now PDA phones, Whats my next obsession going to be, my wife is scared!!!

I just got in touch with Verizon tech support, who referred me to someone on their text messaging team. After I described the problem, he had me pull the battery and leave it out while he performed some upgrades on his end. This took about three minutes. I asked what the upgrades were, and he said they were to the switch, not specific to my handset. After that, he had me put the battery back in and send a test message to myself. We'll see if this fixes it - I will update in a few days.

jady - I did see other people discussing message length and how that might affect delivery, but I asked the VZW guy and he said anything up to 160 chars should be fine to outside carriers - after that, the message would be truncated but they should still get it. In-network, there should be something called enhanced messaging which should allow for longer ones (?)

XV-6700 (dying) Sammy i730 (alive) jady's Avatar
    Yea, we have the enhanced mssges package its like $5 or something like that but her mssge still ddnt go throiugh. I'll have to count the characters onher send txt.
    First Mobile phones, now PDA phones, Whats my next obsession going to be, my wife is scared!!!

ok... sorry i kinda disappeared... hectic holiday.. but yeah... im still having a problem with the texting.. and i do believe if the message is too long it won't send... i had a friend send me a message (>140, <160) and it wouldn't come through... she sent it 4 times and it would never come through... with my old flip phone.. if someone on the verizon network sent a message over 160, it would split the message up automatically... it would send it as 2 or however many messages it took... for some reason this isn't happening with this phone... but anyways... i also won't recieve messages no matter what the length... it could be 10 char. and it sometimes won't deliver to me... its pissing me off pretty bad...

I have sprint, my girl has tmobile... she is having a problem receiving some texts and I cant receive her pic mail at all anymore. She's been talking to tmobile and they say they are doing enhancements and they are waiting for sprint to take care of their side etc. for a month now. The networks are obviously making changes (probably some homeland security ****e, who the f knows). Needless to say it aint just verizon.
    d6l9p
    Peace Within

I think the problem has to do with length. Whenever my friend tries to send me a long message (I think > 160 chars) it won't come through. My phone will light up as if a message is about to pop up, but it never does. If she tries to send a long message to my other friend who has a Q, he'll get the first part but not the second (since the network is automatically supposed to break > 160 chars into two messages). Not sure whether that's a problem on her handset or the network, but I don't seem to have a problem getting smaller texts from her or anyone else. It is worth calling in if you experience problems - at least VZW has a record of you complaining about it.

yeah thats what my phone does... it lights up... but it does that with short texts as well.. it doesn't matter the length.. it will do it... long ones it always will.. but the short ones its random... its really really annoying... i just hope its on verizon's end and not the phone

Quote Originally Posted by jhuroleye
    yeah thats what my phone does... it lights up... but it does that with short texts as well.. it doesn't matter the length.. it will do it... long ones it always will.. but the short ones its random... its really really annoying... i just hope its on verizon's end and not the phone
    I have this same problem!

jhuroleye - did you call it in yet?

no i haven't called in yet.. i have so many problems when i call.. im gonna wait til my next billing cycle... lol cuz i called about a week ago for some other things and yeah everytime i call more than once during a billing cycle they seem to f everything up and i get $600 phone bills...

I am also having trouble receiving Verizon txt messages...

I always receive txts sent to me when the phone is on... however, txt messages sent to me while my phone is rebooting or the battery is dead are never received once the phone reconnects to verizon. Even if I receive the message, the message is lost if I do not mark it as read before rebooting.

Shouldn't all txt messages be held on Verizon's servers until the phone is available to pull them? I swear all standard handsets I had before the 6700 did this.

thx

I know this is an old thread but my wife is having the same problem with a 6700 I just set up for her. We called Verizon and they say these phones do not support Enhanced Messaging service therefore they cannot recieve messages over 160 characters. They just never even make it to her phone.

She can send long ones but they get split into several messages.

yeah well... thats what i figured... i can't get long texts... from people... has to be 160 or less... like even though all the other normal phones break the texts up into separate messages... my phone wont receive those messages... has to be a single message. but i can send long ones... but thanks for confirming my suspision