+ Reply to Thread

Using VPN Client while Tethering

I currently use Cisco's VPN Client version 4.8 to connect to my VPN. I have tried time and time again to VPN to the office while tethered to the Mogul and I can't get it to work. Basic Internet access works beautifully but the VPN gives me issues. However, I don't have any issues with the VPN software while using a Sprint Connection Card. Any thoughts?

Administrator
    could be the way sprint flags certain IP ranges.

the air cards are in a certain range that sprint gives full access to so. the cards pass thru a different gateway than the ppc phones do and even non converged phones. this is the reason, for example, that we cant really get cnn.com to work reliably on ppc phones because sprint gives the ppc phones ip ranges that are outside of sprints gateways that allow access to certain sites.

i have had air cards from sprint since 2001 and i too can vpn nicely using the same client as you. i have not really tried to vpn thru the phone since i always have my laptop so that was never an issue.

smu
    Converged in a divergent world smu's Avatar
    I have been using Cisco's v5.0 version of the VPN client through the phone without any issues. It seems to work fairly well, so if you can get your hands on that client, give it a whirl!

I have been using Juniper Network Connect and it works very well through the Mogul. Pretty much equivalent to my Sprint data card. Even on a train @ 79 MPH.....

Have a good one

Allen

Had this issue too. You need to remove the .dll files referenced in the registry under internet connection sharing.

It depends on the VPN servers security policies. What your actually doing is called double NATing...that is generally a no-no when it comes to VPN connectivity. Your Natted once while tethering to your mogul...and im pretty sure Sprint ip's are Natted so thats strike two. Web surfing will work but when doing VPN return packets will be dropped when the return headers dont match whats expected. If your vpn clients supports Nat-traversal then you can get around this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PROXCEE_06 View Post
    It depends on the VPN servers security policies. What your actually doing is called double NATing...that is generally a no-no when it comes to VPN connectivity. Your Natted once while tethering to your mogul...and im pretty sure Sprint ip's are Natted so thats strike two. Web surfing will work but when doing VPN return packets will be dropped when the return headers dont match whats expected. If your vpn clients supports Nat-traversal then you can get around this problem.
    I can see exactly why this is true. I believe my IT guy setup our Cisco Pix to only accept a Cisco VPN Client. Is there any way to setup a Cisco VPN Client to support NAT-Traversal?

On another note, I have a Sprint AirCard plugged into a router with a single Ethernet port. I have a Linksys router plugged into the Ethernet port to give me support for multiple computers via DHCP. Again, the VPN won't work this way either but everything else works fine. I'm assuming these issues are related (Double NATing). Any thoughts?