+ Reply to Thread

Active Sync deleting ALL contacts

I just received my 6800 yesterday. I installed the new Active Sync 4.5 (removing the previous 4.1 version that I used with my 6700). So far I can sync everything I need just fine, but the issue comes when I want to uncheck the contacts box. I get a message saying that in doing this, it will delete all my contacts from my device. That sucks. I do not use the same contacts for my home e-mail as I do on my phone, so I only want to use the sync to be able to transfer my contacts from my 6700 over to my 6800. After the initial transfer, I only want to sync my calendar and tasks items daily but not my contacts.

Is there a fix for this?

Can't you just resync with the work PC afterwards and make them all come back?

I have about 3 different contact folders on the same computer. And my default contact folder is not the same contacts that I have on my device.

I can make it work, but it's just a little nerve racking. I just realized that it is not only with the contacts, but anything that you decide to uncheck (if you do not want to sync a particular item) will be deleted from your device. Why can't ActiveSync just leave the items already on your device alone and just sync what you have checked... like the older version 4.1 did?

I was just checking to see if I had something set up incorrectly.

thanks.

You know, I think this might be how I lost all of my contacts.

Activesync is anti-robust as a piece of software...

work-around for SYNCing issue

If you install ActiveSync 4.5 and connect your PPC to it and create a partnership, whatever items you check for the first sync, you have to keep syncing the same items each time. You can add (check more) items, but if you uncheck one, all of the data (contacts, calendar, tasks, favorites, etc) will be deleted from your PPC.

Problem... I do not want my contacts udated every time I sync my phone because I use a totally different contact folder on my pc. I only need to synce the contacts once to get them from my 6700 to my 6800.

Solution....

1- Install the ActiveSync 4.5.
    2- Connect your PPC and create a partnership with your mobile. Check all the items that you want to sync.
    3- Then after everything is synced, unplug your PPC and then uninstall the ActiveSync program.
    4- Repeat 1 through 2. This time when you create a partnership you will notice that the name of the partnership will be something like (windows PC 2)... because in your PPC, you still have a profile for the first partnership. DO NOT delete this one on your phone because it will erase everything that was synced by THAT particular partnership. Instead, I created this second partnership and named it Windows PC 2.. then I checked only Calendar and Tasks since that is all I want to sync on a daily basis. Doing this does NOT remove my contacts that I put there with my first partnership.

For some reason, I can now check and uncheck the items with this second partnership WITHOUT removing anything from my PPC. By never deleting that first partnership in my PPC, the second partnership working just like ActiveSync 4.1 did... perfect!

One last thing... Please make sure you actually remove the program in step 3... Don't just try to "delete" the mobile device from the file menu in ActiveSync. I have tried this and it will politely tell you that "Deleting the synchronization relationship with this Pocket PC wil remove all the information on your pocket PC that is synchronized the next time the device is connected.."

believe me.. it will delete it.

enjoy!

Assume you all are using XP. See my comments recently on Vista. There are log files that may be of some use here that I am trying toi decrypt.

JEBUS, that is a terrible update. It caused me to lose over 300 contacts. A lot of which I can't replace.

Yes, the update is terrible and AS/WMDC are both unstable as far as I can see. Had to resync 3500 contacts today. Microsoft just does not care and they get away with it. I am trying to figure our the log files on Vista but haven't had the time yet. There are lots of errors.

THis is the most popular, look in Googgle and there a 4 pages on it:

Windows Mobile-based device failed to connect due to communication (0x8007274a) failure (see data for failure code).
    Last edited by jerryyyyy; 10-19-2007 at 10:13 PM.